Alternate Model Review: Twin Arm Launcher

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Alternate Model Review: Twin Arm Launcher

Post by architect »

Join the Classic Castle alternate model review discussion. Please post your opinions on the model play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which models stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 6039 Twin Arm Launcher.

Twin Arm Launcher was released in 1988 and has three alternate models. The first model features a knight practicing tilting against a quintain. Next there is a chariot carrying supplies during a march. Finally, two siege workers operate their war machine which fires flaming bolts at the enemy.

Additional Images:
http://www.classic-castle.com/sets/imag ... /6039e.jpg
http://www.classic-castle.com/sets/imag ... /6039f.jpg
Last edited by architect on Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shadowviking
Councilor

Post by Shadowviking »

That quintain is actually pretty cool, if it works. The cart/chariot thing is neat, though slightly odd looking with the shields in that position. The alternate catapault looks okay, but lacks from non-functionality. 8/10
...and that's how Equestria was made!
[url=http://www.flickr.com/people/shadowviking/]flickr[/url] | [url=http://receptacle.tumblr.com/]tumblr[/url] | [url=http://tellers-tales.wikidot.com/]teller's tales[/url]
Spongey
Merchant

Post by Spongey »

Excellent alternate sets. It's great that there is so much versatility to this set; it can be a siege weapon, cart and a quintain, depending on your need.
smcginnis
Justiciar

Post by smcginnis »

Cool quintain, and the cart is nice; but my favorite one is the flaming bolt thrower. That idea is just so cool (and the model's good enough for me to tell what it was before I read your description).

~smcginnis
Learning French.

Say it "ESS-MICK-GIN-ISS", with a hard "G", as in "get".

I'm a Pumpkin.

[url=http://www.freerice.com/]Free Rice[/url]
Patron of the lego
Archer

Post by Patron of the lego »

Ah reminds me, that there were once good alternative models. I wish lego made alternative models again.
to the ramparts!
Donut
Councilor

Post by Donut »

I have never seen this pictures, thanks for sharing. It looks like the KKI Knight's Joust set borrowed the idea from picture 1.
LEGO --- Impossible is Nothing.
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

Wow, for such a small set it's surprisingly versatile - three different models, all of them good in their own right. Good work by the designer.

- Matt
jokkna
Goat Brigade

Post by jokkna »

Nice set like almost all sets from this year

I vould love to see those shields again
Chris Was Here
Serf

Post by Chris Was Here »

My favorite is definitely the flame-bolt launcher. It looks very cool, unfortunately it does not work. The chariot soldier has an odd sheild but the quintain is nice.
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

hehe Ben, great you made those

the chariot is quite cool, I even made those stuff as a kid since I wasn't a big fond of the catapult itself

Great alternates and great photos :lol:
Brickzone
Bailiff

Post by Brickzone »

Nice timing, I just bought this set recently! Those are nice alternate models. It's a great set with the round shields, horse barding, weapons and cart wheels. I think I like the first two alternates best.

It would have been cool if the new castle sets had had alternates. Still, at least the Viking models do, although I was unsure where to begin to try and recreate them (at least with the Viking Army siege engine).
E of Alshire
Merchant

Post by E of Alshire »

And all these solutions with only three brick colours! Amazing!

I think this set speaks more of the imagination of design in this era of LEGO's history than any redeeming values the set itself had. The creativity excercised with such a small pallette is outstanding.
MarioDAlessio
Foot Soldier

Post by MarioDAlessio »

Thanks my opinion of this set is greatly increased now that I know the alternate set design possibilities.

l wonder why LEGO settled on the “Twin catapult” that knight practicing against the quintain and a supply wagon conversion would have been a great additional Knight Challenger set to go with the larger set 1584 Knights Challenge of that year?

From parts inventories of this set, all the parts appear highly useful for fine detail Castle and Town MOC building, no wonder the good alternate design possibilities.

The red horse barding with yellow Lions pattern, two round shields and black hinge plates are highly desirable for me.

When I first starting collecting Lego minifigs I found myself improvising shields also, I like that how the designers have explored many possibilities here like the flaming bolts.

Mario
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

Just another example of the "good ole days". I liked this set, I know that I bought at least one, possibly two. Nice figures, it was perfect back then for my growing army.
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
Ben the lego king
Apprentice

Post by Ben the lego king »

hi

I like this set for the figs. The parts are good. the modle is ok. over all I give it a 9/10
KKI is the best KKI is the best