Illustrating the Odyssey or Illiad

Discussion of Castle Themed stories
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

Prince Imdol wrote:Harry Potter is different than the odyssey, but I think most people would agree that it is not as good literature as The Odyssey.

P.I
Why would that be? I´d prefer Harry Potter anyday... :wink:
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
Prince Imdol
Master

Post by Prince Imdol »

Harry Potter is less complicated and is not exactly good literature. This is why it has never won an award. I guess the reason why so many people would prefer it is because she has got people from children with suspense and people have wanted to figure out whats going to happen to Voldemort.

Aren't we getting off topic?

P.I
Thomas C.
"Sow a thought, reap an action;
Sow an action, reap a habit.
Sow a habit, reap a character.
Sow a character, reap a destiny"

"Don't let school interfere with your education."-Huckleberry Finn
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

Prince Imdol wrote:Harry Potter is less complicated and is not exactly good literature. This is why it has never won an award.

P.I
I beg to differ, from Wikipedia:

J.K. Rowling and the Harry Potter series have been the recipients of a host of awards since the initial publication of Philosopher's Stone including four Whitaker Platinum Book Awards (all of which were awarded in 2001), three Nestlé Smarties Book Prizes (1997–1999), two Scottish Arts Council Book Awards (1999 and 2001), the inaugural Whitbread children's book of the year award, (1999), the WHSmith book of the year (2006), among others. In 2000, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban was nominated for Best Novel in the Hugo Awards while in 2001, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire won said award. Honours include a commendation for the Carnegie Medal (1997), a shortlisting for the Guardian Children's Award (1998), and numerous listings on the notable books, editors' Choices, and best books lists of the American Library Association, New York Times, Chicago Public Library, and Publishers Weekly
Last edited by Sir Kohran on Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prince Imdol
Master

Post by Prince Imdol »

Not those awards. Newbury like stuff. But lets get back to Odyssey stuff!

P.I
Thomas C.

JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

Prince Imdol wrote:Not those awards. Newbury like stuff. But lets get back to Odyssey stuff!
P.I
Many of "those" awards are just as prestigious as the Newbery Medal, if not more so.

I feel kind of odd defending HP like that, since I'm not a fan, and I much prefer classics myself. However, I had to point out the error. As for getting back to Odyssey "stuff", who brought Harry Potter into the discussion in the first place? ;)

Also you said that Harry Potter isn't that great because it hasn't won a Newbery Medal. Well, neither has the Odyssey or the Iliad, as they were composed before such literary trappings were invented. But, if the Odyssey were written today, it still wouldn't win a Newbery Medal. Why? The Newbery is strictly for children's literature, which the Odyssey is not.

So, when its all said and done, it matters not if a certain book wins a particular award, a multitude of awards, or none at all. In fact, there is really no perfect test of a book's worth. Even the test of time is not infallible. As much as I hate to say it, it probably all comes down to a matter of taste.

Josh
Last edited by JoshWedin on Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
Prince Imdol
Master

Post by Prince Imdol »

Lets please just get back to Odyssey stuff ok... :arrow:

P.I
Thomas C.

venvorskar
Bailiff

Post by venvorskar »

Lets please just get back to Odyssey stuff ok...
I agree, but it was an interesting discussion...

If the Odyssey was to be illustrated using Lego, I don't think all of it could be done just with bricks. You might need to use a 3-D program to create oceans and backgrounds. And of course you would need Photoshop to do other special effects.