'Ave a pint 'o' ale lads

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Ser Loktar
Foot Soldier

'Ave a pint 'o' ale lads

Post by Ser Loktar »

This is the latest incarnation of my favorite non-military MOC, the Wolves Head Inn. I've been building and rebuilding this one for years as I find new black and yellow brick and for last Xmas I got LOTS so I made this.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=278136

Now a little backstory:
The owner of the inn was a minor free lancer of the era when demonic werewolves still plagued the peoples of Legonya. In an effort to slay one of the more ferocious of these a little known noble rallied what meager forces he could to track the monster through the Dark Forest. As hunting wolves in the woods can be dangerous it was no surprise that the hunting parties soon became separated from each other and the lord and his kennelmaster found themselves alone and confronted by the beast. The creature easily dispatched the hounds and personal guards of the noble but as it came in for the final strike a horse whinnied and from out of the brush came the one lancer no one thought of any consequence. His name was Tyren of Darkvale and his lance was aimed true as he spit the beast through the heart and saved his liege lord. Out of gratitude the lord granted some land on the edge of the forest and the nearby river to Tyren who decided that since the land would be traveled by all peoples he and his children could make a living providing lodgings for the wayfarers.
Six generations later his blood still holds the inn, and the Lion kings men have decided to aid the house Lupenoir in defending it against the southern hordes, while all the while the wolf's head drips blood above the door.

The top floor is for highborn customers (currently a Lupenoir household knight) and comes with it's own bedwarmer.
Second floor has smaller rooms and two extra beds at the top of the stair.
Ground floor has the common room, kitchen, and stables, as well as a small smithy.
Lemme know what ya think,
Ser Loktar
When I was a lad my mother told me that if I stood around all day with my mouth open a weasel was liable to mistake it for his den and jump right in. If you have something to say, say it, otherwise, beware of weasels.
GRRM
Spongey
Merchant

Post by Spongey »

This is very well done. I like your choice of colours again, and the palisade is a nice touch. My only suggestion is to add some texture or architecture to the walls, and a little bit of landscaping. Other than that, it's an excellent MOC.
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

Initially, I'm not real fond of the yellow doors. Too much yellow in my opinion. I think red would be better as it would coordinate with the roof. I also think some more black supports would help a lot.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
Lord Felix
Landlord

Post by Lord Felix »

It's yellow. A lot of yellow. I would compliment it with a little more black and grey base or foundation. It looks a little odd with the tuder style *I can't think of it right now,* Anyway, your wall looks good. It looks like my castle town wall, but the crenelations are taller.

Good job, but a few changes it would be better.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Dandin]Brickshelf[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/8499398@N07/]Flickr[/url]
[url=http://www.myspace.com/candlemusic]My Band: Candle[/url]
Ser Loktar
Foot Soldier

Post by Ser Loktar »

Thank you all for your suggestions. I agree that it's 'a lot of yellow' but as I said this is the project where all my yellow goes, as it comes to me.
I understand your point Athos but I haven't ANY red doors, I used the yellow as I really only have those and some blacks for another project. You see, I don't tear up a MOC to build a new one but wait till I have the brick to 'upgrade' so although my collection's huge my piece count (for individual projects) is rather limited.
I really wish I could have done some landscaping as Spongey suggests but ALL my greens and earthtones are earmarked for my BIG project (I'll give you a hint, it's big, square, and gray) so this had to be built on flatland.
This is also what stopped me from using a stone foundation, which is something I really wanted to do, and I'm still out running short for the keep... sigh.
But thx for looking (and I'll try to resize pics when my boss lets me have a day off,
Ser Loktar
When I was a lad my mother told me that if I stood around all day with my mouth open a weasel was liable to mistake it for his den and jump right in. If you have something to say, say it, otherwise, beware of weasels.
GRRM