BC07Classic-Castle Sigfig Photoshoot

Discussion and planning of large-scale Castle Themed displays and events
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

Dunechaser wrote:Thanks for running this again this year, Caylin!!!
Tower of Iron Will wrote:I don't see my figure at all. Nice shot of the more "popular" members though.
This was never about popularity. Despite the fact that I haven't even been active here for the last while (very busy at work), I made sigfigs of several new members whose user names I didn't even recognize.

We all put a fair amount of work into this, and as Caylin said, the sheer number of figs made photographing all of them in a single picture very challenging.
Hmmm, how do I put this diplomatically....Yes I understand that there was significant work done for this and am glad that this opportunity was given to all and not just those close or lucky enough to attend. I am saying that out of all the figs positions mine had the worst position and could not be seen. Maybe the big plumed fig could have been behind my fig such that his plumes would have been visible over my or most of the other figs. Maybe if there wasn't a shrine/tent/whatever with the two organizers in prominence there would have been more room in the middle (with more figures in the middle of the pic).

If I sound a little unhappy, well, yes, because I was looking forward to this and when my fig is the only one not visible, am I supposed to say gee whiz nice photo?

Now before more members and admins start bagging on me for being unhappy and ban me for life, yada, yada, I apoligize ahead of time for using the right to state my opinon however mildly unhappy it may be. I am glad that the rest of the figs were able to be seen and everyone else is happy with it. This may be all moot for next year because there will be enough figs submitted to make it not possible to have all in one pic.
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

SavaTheAggie wrote:
Dunechaser wrote:
Tower of Iron Will wrote:I don't see my figure at all. Nice shot of the more "popular" members though.
This was never about popularity.
Exactly. If it were, my fig would be the only one represented. After all, I *AM* the most popular member of Classic-Castle.

--Tony
I looked for your fig but didn't see it, and yes, Lord Sava of Aggie, you are the most popular by far. :D
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
Dunechaser
Councilor

Post by Dunechaser »

BreadMan wrote:Sincerest apologies Tower, your fig was there (I know cause I made it) but yeah, Escape the Fate's plumage was just a little overpowering :P. Heck, you can barely see anybody in the back row. Hopefully there is another shot from another angle somewhere...
Exactly. Several of us took photos, and will likely be adding alternate angles as the week goes by. There's probably one that includes you, Tower. :wink:

Despite my obvious irritation with Tower's reaction, for which I apologize (hey, I'm totally exhausted, and that's why I'm taking breaks from work to post here), he raises some really good points. Next year, perhaps we could use a stand that doesn't require such a low camera angle. We reused the joust stand, and it just happened to have the awning -- I don't think it was prebuilt for the photo shoot. Caylin deservedly got to be in the awning with Henry because she's the one who organized it. We should also make sure "tall" figs are in the back row.

Good suggestions, Tower, thanks! :)
-Andrew B.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/dunechaser/]Flickr[/url] | [url=http://www.brothers-brick.com/]The Brothers Brick[/url]
plums_deify
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by plums_deify »

Alright, everybody.

I want to let everyone know that Tower and I have talked; so no worries, or further comments. We'll lay that end to rest.

With that said, I'll repeat a bit of what I told him:

All figs were unmarked as far as who they belonged to, and I simply pulled figs from bags and arranged them as best I could for maximum visual affect. As more figs arrived from the cracks, things shifted, so in doing so, more than one fig was hidden. The list isn't all that was there. Keep in mind there were at least two dozen convention attendees who had their figs represented, as well as representatives from Space, Train, and TLC itself (we built a fig for Steve Witt). That added considerably to the fig count.

When we do this, or any con, there's no way to tell WHAT the display will look like. As the organizer, I have to work with what I'm given. In this case, the stands for the joust worked rather well, so we went with that. It's what we have. Remember, the display doesn't solidify until EVERYONE arrives, so no one knows at all what it will look like until all the pieces are there. We have a vision, but that doesn't always equate to the final piece.

The reason for the big area in the center is that this area was set up as a seperate MOC; a King and Queen were previously seated in there. I was told to put my own fig in there, which I did, and I added Henry, as he's a sort of mascot of CC. This area worked out well anyway; you'll notice an oblivious Joe Vig and John (Jail)'s robot on top, as well as a strange sort of monster provided by Josh.

When I get home today, I'll sift through my photos; I took A LOT of photos of this, to see if I have better photos to make a better photomerge. I know there's video that exists of this. I also know that every sigfig became spectators for the joust for Sunday, so there's bound to be plenty of photos.

In general, save for a controlled environment which is not possible, this is really as good as it's going to get. I'm open to other ideas (taking photos of different groups of figs, for example) to help make this better, but I think it's more effective if all figs are in the same photo.

And Tower? I recommend provolone or havarti. ;)

So, no worries, anyone. It's over, done...I just hope we can all continue to ooo and aaaah over the photos as they come in. :)

Sound good?

Alrighty!
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Be Smart. Be evil.

Sister Brick @ [url=http://www.brothers-brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]!
HeartOfDarkness
Reeve

Post by HeartOfDarkness »

*Ooooooh*

*Aaaaahhhh*

What? :P
JCool
Apprentice

Post by JCool »

Gang, I took a nice sweeping video of the sigfig shoot. I will be mixing in some general castle video i shot this weekend (literally the camera was attached to my arm at all times) and adding some music and sound effects. I will be getting the video pulled off the camera later this week and should have something posted by early next week or perhaps even the weekend (if i'm particularly bored) 8-)

The con was a LOT of fun, and I was glad to finally meet some of the faces behind the names i've seen floating around here for so long. More updates in a few days.
-Joe "Cool"
Escape The Fate
Foot Soldier

Post by Escape The Fate »

Sorry Tower, it doesnt help with my guys plums, he was the tallest minifigure there from what i can tell from the pic.

BTW, which one is Sava's?
doodstormer
Bailiff

Post by doodstormer »

My only problem was the goblin had long black legs instead of brown stubbies. but i'm sure i probably mis-typed it or something. it's a cool little collection.
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

Tower of Iron Will wrote:I looked for your fig but didn't see it, and yes, Lord Sava of Aggie, you are the most popular by far. :D
-Tower
Alas, you won't find my fig. I was in the last one I believe, but I never took the time to add my fig to the list this time around. Not that I was missed much; not only were there plenty of figs for the photoshoot, no AFOL outside of Texas has seen me since Brickfest 2005. Not that I've built much in the way of castle since then, either.

--Tony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
BreadMan
Archer

Post by BreadMan »

SavaTheAggie wrote:
Tower of Iron Will wrote:I looked for your fig but didn't see it, and yes, Lord Sava of Aggie, you are the most popular by far. :D
-Tower
Alas, you won't find my fig. I was in the last one I believe, but I never took the time to add my fig to the list this time around. Not that I was missed much; not only were there plenty of figs for the photoshoot, no AFOL outside of Texas has seen me since Brickfest 2005. Not that I've built much in the way of castle since then, either.

--Tony
*cough* 3rd row up 5 to the right *cough*
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

BreadMan wrote:
SavaTheAggie wrote:
-Tower

--Tony
*cough* 3rd row up 5 to the right *cough*
Hey cool, is that Garalt in there? Last year I believe it was Garadaine who made an appearance. Next year we'll have to include Lord Daravon and the Ikros trifecta will be complete.

8)

--Tony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

Looks awesome. A shame I wasn't there this time (doesn't quite look right without a KK2 fig there :wink: ) but I was in New Zealand for most of August so I missed most of the 'entry time'.

LOL, looking at all those armed Castle figs I can see why that solitary Spacer is hiding on the roof.

Tower - that was unfortunate, but these things happen sometimes.

Sava - yes, Garadaine was present in the first photo with his twin swords.

When do you next plan to do one of these (seeing as it's becoming something of a tradition)?

- Matt
Tedward
Squire

Post by Tedward »

I put the guys I brought to work setting up my pavillion. (Click pics for full size images.)

Image Image

Thanks for "being there". Too bad we never got the tent up. ;)
Scnicker
Landlord

Post by Scnicker »

I think Josh put mine together right? :) And I'm standing next to him. Anyways, thanks Josh :).
plums_deify
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by plums_deify »

Yeah...some of the admins made apperances as they were still constructed from the photo at Brickfest.

Next one will occur at the next convention. Hopefully I'll be attending. I don't think there was one for Brickworld, was there?
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Be Smart. Be evil.

Sister Brick @ [url=http://www.brothers-brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]!