members of SCA?

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
Adam
Laborer

members of SCA?

Post by Adam »

this is probably the wrong spot for this but.. is anyone here in the SCA?
"if its stupid but it works, it isn't stupid."
Tedward
Squire

Post by Tedward »

Since A.S. XX. Met my wife in the SCA. Not really active for the last few years with small kids but I have some new armour bits... :)
Adam
Laborer

Post by Adam »

Tedward wrote:Since A.S. XX. Met my wife in the SCA. Not really active for the last few years with small kids but I have some new armour bits... :)
how is it? I've been thinking about joining
Tedward
Squire

Post by Tedward »

Adam wrote: how is it? I've been thinking about joining
It can be a lot of fun and if you are on the East coast (does that say Pennsylvania in your profile?) then you are right on top of "The War" (Pennsic) which is a huge event every August and the "Holy Grail" of events for most SCAdians.

When I have sat at a Clubs Day table for my local University group I tell "newbies" that, "We do anything that is Medieval, Safe and Fun - not necessarily in that order." Every group is a little different but you generally find a lot of misfits, gamers, and nerds all having a good time dressing up as a knights, wenches and anything else they can think of (except wizards - the SCA doesn't "do" magic.)

Just show up sometime and see how it goes. It can be a little intimidating your first time but ask for a Chatelaine or Castellan and you should be alright.
Adam
Laborer

Post by Adam »

cool. I live in the eastkingdom I think... how old do I have to be to do the fun stuff(sword practice and stuff)?
Asterios
Solecist

Post by Asterios »

Well for starters if your not 18 you will need to be accompanied by an adult due to the nature of the SCA,

and greetings i'm Asterios Lord of the Kraken Guard of the west (been absent about 10 years or so though) gettin too old for the wars and after war fun :P
Lord of the Armies

and

Master of the Domain
Asterios
Solecist

Post by Asterios »

Adam wrote:cool. I live in the eastkingdom I think... how old do I have to be to do the fun stuff(sword practice and stuff)?
real swords are for decoration only,the jousts (Sword fights) are done using Rattan Swords,believe me the SCA has a whole book of rules for swordfighting to prevent injury,from the armor requirements to the sword requirements and shield requirements.also i believe the age is still 18 on the enlistments.
Lord of the Armies

and

Master of the Domain
Adam
Laborer

Post by Adam »

How do I get started? Who do I contact? Where do I go? What do I wear?
Asterios
Solecist

Post by Asterios »

Lord of the Armies

and

Master of the Domain
Emperor James
Steward

Post by Emperor James »

hah, i did sca fighting a couple times. i dominated (because) no one there is in shape at all, either really skinny or really fat. no one could compete with my jackedness, i mangled pansies out there
pwnage
Asterios
Solecist

Post by Asterios »

Emperor James wrote:hah, i did sca fighting a couple times. i dominated (because) no one there is in shape at all, either really skinny or really fat. no one could compete with my jackedness, i mangled pansies out there
and where was this at?
Lord of the Armies

and

Master of the Domain
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

Emperor James wrote:hah, i did sca fighting a couple times. i dominated (because) no one there is in shape at all, either really skinny or really fat. no one could compete with my jackedness, i mangled pansies out there
That sounds a little silly - every exposure I've had to SCA is of people who are of all physical compositions and fighting skills... doesn't seem like a mature statement, on a side note. :wink:
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
Asterios
Solecist

Post by Asterios »

ottoatm wrote:
That sounds a little silly - every exposure I've had to SCA is of people who are of all physical compositions and fighting skills... doesn't seem like a mature statement, on a side note. :wink:
i agree since i'm neither really fat or really skinny,and alot of the people i met in the SCA are ones most people would not want to meet in a dark alley so it sounds like EJ is a wannabe wanker.
Lord of the Armies

and

Master of the Domain
DARKspawn
Lord

Post by DARKspawn »

:lol: Called out!

I would be surprised if he were even 18 ...

I have seen the Australian equivilent at many Medieval fairs in my time, I even know someone who participates (a crazy Canadian no less) & I can vouch for the fitness of these fellas, they know what they are doing... well mostly ;)

Try walking around in plate & chain armour for a day, let alone dancing about in them, these guys are relatively fit
Asterios
Solecist

Post by Asterios »

DARKspawn wrote::lol: Called out!

I would be surprised if he were even 18 ...

I have seen the Australian equivilent at many Medieval fairs in my time, I even know someone who participates (a crazy Canadian no less) & I can vouch for the fitness of these fellas, they know what they are doing... well mostly ;)

Try walking around in plate & chain armour for a day, let alone dancing about in them, these guys are relatively fit
ugh i know how that is being in full dress armor in the California Heat fighting for the crown,it was not pretty especially without showers :P
Lord of the Armies

and

Master of the Domain