Classic-Castle.com


The source for all your LEGO Castle needs!

Mini Castle Contest III

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations

Postby Asterios » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:58 am

Lord Felix wrote:
Asterios wrote:hope you didn't misunderstand my point is its not how bad a job a person does the fact they even tried gives them credit,seriously have you seen my microscale model?its well below par,and was never meant to be a microscale model,but a diorama model for a large minifig scale size castle i'm making.


I did get your point; but the way you put it above was just offensive to me. I am not angry at you, I was just upset by the way it was said.

About your creation:

It's fine. Tons better then my first attempt at Micro Scale. It's plain but, you know what, plain can be good in some circumstances. I would add some details; especially around the top wall walks. The walls themselves look pretty good as-is.

Oh, and do you first build a micro scale like this then build a bigger version that would be minifig scaled? That actually sounds like a good idea!


yes on my large projects i'll build a smaller model as a template thats why its so plain since its to just give me a rough idea of my design.
Lord of the Armies

and

Master of the Domain
Asterios
Solecist
 
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2003 6:40 am
Location: Stockton,California

Postby Aliencat » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:08 pm

Nice one Lord Felix :)
I would have liked the crenelations betters if the top 1x1 plates weren't turned 45° but just straight. I don't think it really decreases the quality of the creation though, the vertical columns make it look very tall and impressive, even though it's small. It makes me think this would be a huge tall castle if it were real.
Between plotting to kill you all and chasing balls of yarn, I also build MOCs

Image
User avatar
Aliencat
Josh's Minion
 
Posts: 2171
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:21 pm
Location: Malé, Maldives

Postby Robin Hood » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:59 am

For those of you who are interested, there has been a slight prize update. A little something from Lord Sava. I won't say what exactly, but it is something only Sava and Troy could do (assuming I understand CC's hierarchy).

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
User avatar
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar
 
Posts: 2084
Joined: Thu May 13, 2004 2:35 am
Location: An empty room.....somewhere.

Postby Lord Felix » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:03 am

Thank you for hosting a great contest! I wish I could build micro scale :shock:
User avatar
Lord Felix
Landlord
 
Posts: 910
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:07 am
Location: California, USA Age: 16

Postby Robin Hood » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:10 am

Lord Felix wrote:Thank you for hosting a great contest! I wish I could build micro scale :shock:


Your welcome.

And for the record, you CAN build micro scale. Looking back a page in this thread, I believe we have positive proof of that. Perhaps it might not be unbelievably stellar, but then, I suspect you have not tried this too often. As far as I am concerned, that microscale castle of yours was quite good looking. These things do not always come out perfect the first time round. But the fact that you tried shows that you have an interest in this area. Therefore, do not say you cannot build microscale.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
User avatar
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar
 
Posts: 2084
Joined: Thu May 13, 2004 2:35 am
Location: An empty room.....somewhere.

Postby Lord Felix » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:18 am

Robin Hood wrote:
Lord Felix wrote:Thank you for hosting a great contest! I wish I could build micro scale :shock:


Your welcome.

And for the record, you CAN build micro scale. Looking back a page in this thread, I believe we have positive proof of that. Perhaps it might not be unbelievably stellar, but then, I suspect you have not tried this too often. As far as I am concerned, that microscale castle of yours was quite good looking. These things do not always come out perfect the first time round. But the fact that you tried shows that you have an interest in this area. Therefore, do not say you cannot build microscale.

Dan :wink:


Curses, foiled again! :wink:
User avatar
Lord Felix
Landlord
 
Posts: 910
Joined: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:07 am
Location: California, USA Age: 16

Postby Asterios » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:12 am

Lord Felix wrote:
Robin Hood wrote:
Lord Felix wrote:Thank you for hosting a great contest! I wish I could build micro scale :shock:


Your welcome.

And for the record, you CAN build micro scale. Looking back a page in this thread, I believe we have positive proof of that. Perhaps it might not be unbelievably stellar, but then, I suspect you have not tried this too often. As far as I am concerned, that microscale castle of yours was quite good looking. These things do not always come out perfect the first time round. But the fact that you tried shows that you have an interest in this area. Therefore, do not say you cannot build microscale.

Dan :wink:


Curses, foiled again! :wink:


yeah like Robin Hood said the fact you tried shows you have the potential to build in microscale only those who do not try cannot build in microscale.
Last edited by Asterios on Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord of the Armies

and

Master of the Domain
Asterios
Solecist
 
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2003 6:40 am
Location: Stockton,California

Postby jedimasterwagner » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:51 pm

OK, here's my entry.

Image

Click the thumbnail to go to my flickr. Comments are welcome. Thanks for the great contest! 8)
User avatar
jedimasterwagner
Goat Brigade
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:29 pm
Location: sunny socal

Postby Aliencat » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:15 pm

Wow! Very nice Wagner :)
Between plotting to kill you all and chasing balls of yarn, I also build MOCs

Image
User avatar
Aliencat
Josh's Minion
 
Posts: 2171
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:21 pm
Location: Malé, Maldives

Postby Asterios » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:02 pm

me thinks Dark Spawn has some competition :shock:
Lord of the Armies

and

Master of the Domain
Asterios
Solecist
 
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2003 6:40 am
Location: Stockton,California

Postby Maedhros » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:22 am

That looks brilliant, jedimasterwagner! Some really creative parts usage there!
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
User avatar
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar
 
Posts: 1929
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:22 pm
Location: The dark forests of Sweden

Postby jedimasterwagner » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:27 am

Thanks for the positive feedback, fellas. One of the toughest things is to build something that's a representation of some building that exists in real life.

Hopefully my using MLCAD is ok with all of you. Sometimes I think MLCAD has a real advantage with its infinite parts in any color (well... except for the new colors), but then I realize, it's not about which parts you have, it's about how you use 'em. Plus MLCAD hasn't been updated with the newer parts in like 5 years. But building in microscale has its pluses: MLCAD is so much easier to use when building in microscale as compared to bigger scales (especially if you have a small monitor).

Maybe someday I'll get enough parts to build real-life LEGO, but until then, I'll have fun rendering. It's still not the same as the real thing though. 8)
User avatar
jedimasterwagner
Goat Brigade
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:29 pm
Location: sunny socal

Postby The_Vanquished » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:44 pm

I thought I might as well enter this one, and give Microscale a try.

Image

One

Two

Three

Hopefull by the Next Mini Castle Contest, I'll have more practice with this scale.
wrap me in a bolt of lightning,
send me on my way still smiling,
maybe that's the way i should go:
straight into the mouth of the unknown....
User avatar
The_Vanquished
Artisan
 
Posts: 286
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:10 pm

Postby jedimasterwagner » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:35 am

Here's my second entry:

Image

Once again, click the thumbnail to go to my flickr. Comments and criticism much appreciated.
User avatar
jedimasterwagner
Goat Brigade
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:29 pm
Location: sunny socal

Postby JoshWedin » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:49 am

jedimasterwagner wrote:Here's my second entry:

Image

Once again, click the thumbnail to go to my flickr. Comments and criticism much appreciated.


Very nice! The water is great and I love the castle itself...

Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

Image The Brothers Brick
User avatar
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre
Chevalier de Chèvre
 
Posts: 5642
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2003 2:35 pm
Location: Pondering what you are pondering

PreviousNext

Return to Castle MOCs

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests