Cloth Black Falcon Cape

Discussion of custom parts made for the Castle Theme
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Cloth Black Falcon Cape

Post by kelderic »

Inspired by Amanda's cloth creations, I tried making some of my own.

To compare with a real TLG cape:

To compare color:

I have printed out one sheet, with 12 cpaes and 9 flags, but this is the only one I have cut out. I also still need to get a small hole punch for the neck holes, but then I will finish them. Any ideas on where to pick one up cheap?

Edit
Title fixed.

Kelderic
Last edited by kelderic on Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
The Phantom
Freeman

Post by The Phantom »

That looks great!
Last edited by The Phantom on Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
><>Ben<><
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

Looks excellent - how is it when on the fig? I'd love to see that design on you BF~

Amanda's capes are indeed inspiring - glad to see that you were able to replicate the results without much trouble~
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
Recluce
Landlord

Post by Recluce »

Those capes look good Kelderik! Are the designs yours? I think you'll find many people here interested in printed cloth accessories because they work well on a purist fig, no need to actually alter a real lego piece.
bonaparte
Peasant

Post by bonaparte »

Very nice work !
I always imagined the Black Falcons to live somewhere in Germany.
I like the way you've to integrate a Germain looking flay/symbol in the cape.
History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon.
Aliencat
Josh's Minion

Post by Aliencat »

Very nice cape Kelderic, be sure to show us how it looks on a fig once you have the hole puncher. I'm also interested in the cloth flags you made.
Recluce wrote:I think you'll find many people here interested in printed cloth accessories because they work well on a purist fig, no need to actually alter a real lego piece.
Agreed!
Between plotting to kill you all and chasing balls of yarn, I also build [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/30639040@N02/albums]MOCs[/url]

[img]http://stopthetrack.com/lego/embassy/alienambassadorpng.png[/img]
evilnailman
Peasant

Post by evilnailman »

Would a leather punch be any good for the holes? The sort of thing you use for sticking holes in belts. My mum has one for dressmaking to do holes from 1.5 to 5mm. Its sharp as Megablocks so should give a clean cut.

Matt
mouthofsauron
Villein

WOW!

Post by mouthofsauron »

:shock: Wow, that's not lego? Great job. :D
Yes, I use to many smilies. Who Cares!
my brickshelf http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=yelraf
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

Thanks for all of the replies!
evilnailman wrote:Would a leather punch be any good for the holes? The sort of thing you use for sticking holes in belts. My mum has one for dressmaking to do holes from 1.5 to 5mm. Its sharp as Megablocks so should give a clean cut.

Matt
I have been talking to my Dad, and he said the same thing about the leather punches. The problem is, I have no idea where to get some. I have tryed to use some small scissors to cut of the holes, but twice I have ended up cutting through the wrong place and ruining the cape.

Kelderic
The Phantom
Freeman

Post by The Phantom »

This is going to sound crazily pointless, but if you have a steady hand & an exacto knife try cuting around the holes. Worked for me. (you may want to practise on the ruined ones first)
><>Ben<><
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

kelderic wrote:I have been talking to my Dad, and he said the same thing about the leather punches. The problem is, I have no idea where to get some. I have tryed to use some small scissors to cut of the holes, but twice I have ended up cutting through the wrong place and ruining the cape.

Kelderic
One thing that might work in the meantime is a nail-clipper. Because of the curvature of the edge, if you bend the cape slightly, you can make a hole in the middle of where the neckhole will be easily, and also because its curved, you can carve out a decent hole with the same--and since the neckhole is covered by the fig's head, you don't need to look absolutely perfect.

Anyway, it's worked for me in the past with paper. It might work with canvas as well.
evilnailman
Peasant

Post by evilnailman »

How about a pin vice? Its a small, pencil sized drill that you twiddle with your fingers. Will cost around £2-£3 from any good modelling shop. Expo is a good brand (in UK anyway). Hold the cape down on a flat surface and a 3 or 3.5mm drill bit would probably do it.

Matt
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

Okey, I went to Jo-Ann's Fabric store yesterday, and got a cheap pair of leather hole punches. They work, and so now I have finished several capes, and one flag. However, I cannot find my camera. When I get back from work this afternoon, I will try again to find the camera and take some pictures.

Kelderic
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

bonaparte wrote:Very nice work !
I always imagined the Black Falcons to live somewhere in Germany.
I like the way you've to integrate a Germain looking flay/symbol in the cape.
I agree. I'll second the notion made by Recluse that these are good enough for purist figures. Great Job!
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

Okey, I have finished a cape, and put it on a minifig.

Gallery

Also, I have upload three BF art files. One is this cape:

Then there is the flag:

Last, here is a sail. I used the shape from Fry_slayer's The Furious Falcon Sail.

For all of these, I used the BF Shield Elite as a color scheme. However, I found this picture in a large group that I had collected a while ago, and now I cannot find it on the internet, the give the creator credit. Anyone know who made it?

Kelderic