New Article: Brick Built Beasts

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
Bricksidge
Philosopher-King of the Gong Farmers

New Article: Brick Built Beasts

Post by Bricksidge »

A new article has arrives, written by Bruce. In can be found in the How-To: Creations section.

Comments on this and all articles are always welcome
~[url=http://www.neutronbot.com/kevin/]Kevin Blocksidge[/url]
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Amazingly exhaustive! Wow! I might have to use some of these. I just have 1 question though: why is Bruce's email address have no punctuation marks or the @ symbol? :?
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

Neat! Definitely a first stop for all who want to build animals. I especially like the elk by Reed Anderson.
Bricksidge
Philosopher-King of the Gong Farmers

Post by Bricksidge »

Formendacil wrote:Amazingly exhaustive! ation marks or the @ symbol? :?
This is to prevent spam e-mails
~[url=http://www.neutronbot.com/kevin/]Kevin Blocksidge[/url]
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

Hey All,

This is version 1.0, but I'd like your help to make it better. Please reply either to my e-mail (bnh at chem dot ucla dot edu) or just follow up to this thread with any of the following:
--full names for builders that I just have the Bricklink username
--any animal creations that are markedly different from the ones shown. I think this is a fairly comprehensive list of things labeled as animals here, on Brickshelf, or at Lugnet, but I certainly could have missed things, especially if they are buried in huge folders of a LTC's train layout, for instance. Or if you know of things at personal websites that I missed.
--proper attribution if I have given credit to the wrong person
--who should get credit for the sheep design using grill plates that shows up at all the fests

I am also working on a fantasy beasts version (nowhere near completion yet), so if you have links to fantasy beast creations, add those here as well.

I hope that this can help people populate their castle layouts with our furry or feathered friends. I can claim very little credit here, as I only have one MOC on the list. Most of the credit goes to people like Onishi Shinji, Franklin Cain, Reed Anderson, Brendan Powell Smith, etc.

Bruce
Last edited by Bruce N H on Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

This was an excellent idea and another great addition to the Classic-Castle community. Very nice work Bruce, I had bookmarked many of these creations, but when my hard drive died, I lost all those bookmarks. It is great to have them all collected together like this. :D

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Re: New Article: Brick Built Beasts

Post by footsteps »

An exquisite piece of work. And I'm pleasantly pleased that my horses are at the top of the list -- I know that isn't an indication of importance, just happenstance, but it's nice to see :D

The other fellow linked under horses leads to a bison instruction. Was that a mis-link, or should it be placed with the oxen or such?

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
porschecm2
Councilor

Post by porschecm2 »

Very nice. Makes me want to try some of those...Hmm...For whatever reason, the Bison and the penguin stood out the most for me. The bison because of how accurate it is for not using any specialty pieces, and the penguin, because, well, it looks funny. Not in a bad way, but rather in a comical way. Excellent work, Bruce. And Heitbrick isn't such a bad name....;)

Cm2
Sir Smittens
Foot Soldier

Post by Sir Smittens »

Great job Bruce! I too enjoyed the penguin, I can't wait to build some of those.

I'm definitely looking forward to your next article with the fantasy animals...that too will be great!

--Caleb
Philosophies of my life:

"A PC turned off is better than a PC turned on"

"It's not about who wins...it's about who gets to gloat after they win."
Bruce N H

Post by Bruce N H »

Thanks for the kind words, all. Alan, the horse link should have been:

http://jacob.sparre.dk/LEGO/Dyr/Hest/

I'm going to put together an updated version soon - I've already gotten some feedback with more links to add - so I'll correct that link when I do.

Bruce
Bruce N H

Post by Bruce N H »

Oh, on the penguin. I almost didn't put him in. I was initially going to make a list of purely European castle animals, but it kept growing. It started out with cows and chickens etc, but then I figured you've got Hannibal bringing his elephants into Europe (and of course Oliphaunts in LotR), so I added those. Then I figured with the Crusades your knights might encounter camels, so in they came. More followed. The penguin was one I really paused on - I mean, how would a castle fig ever encounter a penguin (actually, the bison as well, now that I think of it), but finally I figured I should just include it all.

Bruce
PorteusMaximus
Serf

Post by PorteusMaximus »

Indeed, a most comprehensive article. Kudos for a job well done.
Bravo!
- Po...
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Post by footsteps »

Aha, that makes more sense. I don't think I'd seen that horse rendition before.

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

Very well done Bruce. After doing my foliage article (kinda goes hand in hand, now, flora and fauna ;)) I can appreciate how much research is put into a collection like this. Very well done.

The only thing I can think of adding, which I'm sure you've already looked over and culled from the list, is my version of Reed Anderson's Mule/donkey. Normally I wouldn't mention it, but I rather like my version better (go figure ;)). I've shortened the nose and added a mane, which personally I think makes the Donkey look much more natural (yes I realize I put the ears on backwards :oops:).

Full credit goes to Reed, of course, for the design.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=457992

--Anthony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Brickboy
Steward

Post by Brickboy »

This is great! I spent all of last knight..er night findind the pieces, and building as many brick beasts as I could. Thanks a million!
Alan
good times