Fighting with a Glaive

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
Life_Unscripted
Laborer

Fighting with a Glaive

Post by Life_Unscripted »

http://www.dagorhir.com/HowTo/glaivefighting.htm

I am posting this because I just got an army with the new (at least to me) spear looking weapon with the 5 blades on the end. I went on lego.com and found out it was called a glaive so I did some research and found out how they fought with them. I knew they were for going against calvary charges, but this was interesting to read. This is from one of the many medieval fighting recreation groups. Enjoy
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

A group of my friends and I would fashion weapons and shields many out of wood when we were in our twenties. Some of these battles were filmed (vhs) and were quite fun. We didn't go to the lengths the members of this site go to but fun was had none the less. Its good to see that others are scaring the --- out of the common folk, like we used to.
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
Life_Unscripted
Laborer

Post by Life_Unscripted »

lol Yeah. I thought about joining one, maybe the SCA but too many rules. And I don't think I would have enough time or will to go do it all. Maybe if it was VERY local.
Odysseus
Laborer

Post by Odysseus »

if you are interested in a historical method of fighting with polearms, you could try something like this: http://paladinpress.com/detail.aspx?ID=1616

Jonathan
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

AS Jonathan pointed out there are some good books on similar weapons. the one linked, Hector is a good one as is Hans Talhoffer.

Something to keep in mind is that the weapons mostly looked at in these are for one on one fights and usually 5-7 feet long not 12 plus. the ones over 8 feet or so tend to be more for mass formations than one on one fights.

The glaive lego does is rather odd historically. It is more a partisan-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partisan_(weapon)

That said glaive in historic tenses like many terms is rather loose. A glaive seems just to be any type of pole weapon.

Randall
Danielas
Steward

Post by Danielas »

if you go to the rest of the site it shows you how to make one for real i've read the hole thing and explored the website it's pretty good.
God Bless. Danielas

Procrastinators Unite!!!!

(tomorrow)

Proud soldier of Classic-Castle. As in, I fight against the Legion of the Aggie.