Peter Jackson returns to the fold

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Peter Jackson returns to the fold

Post by Sir Kohran »

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Movies/ ... index.html

It seems like a movie version of The Hobbit worthy of the LOTR movies may be happening after all :o To be honest I'm not surprised; I doubt New Line would honestly have gone ahead without PJ at the helm. That would be the equivalent of having more books written without Tolkien as the writer.

- Matt
Maedhros
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Maedhros »

Well, I won't pretend I am happy ;)

On a more serious note I think this could be a lot better that LOTR. The Hobbit is (or seems to be to me) much easier to do as a movie...
"Hinc satis elucet maiorem habere uim ad discenda ista liberam curiositatem quam meticulosam necessitatem.”
- Augustinus Hipponensis
FullNelson
Apprentice
Location: My head is floating in a far off land alone. My body is unfortunately stuck on Earth.

Post by FullNelson »

maybe if we are lucky they will make LEGO sets
<iframe></iframe>
Prince Imdol
Master

Post by Prince Imdol »

Well this is a pleasant surprise. The LOTR movies were good, so this cannot be that bad. However, I wonder if the same characters will be in it, or who will play Gandalf and Biblo. I will have to re-read the book to familiarize myself with the plot again.

P.I
Thomas C.
"Sow a thought, reap an action;
Sow an action, reap a habit.
Sow a habit, reap a character.
Sow a character, reap a destiny"

"Don't let school interfere with your education."-Huckleberry Finn
Quickblade22
22 times da man

Post by Quickblade22 »

I saw this a few days ago as well. I read somewhere that he was only producing and not directing though. If PJ is loyal to himself, he will bring back the crew that helped him get all the awards the first time around. As for actors, I do remember hearing Ian Mckellen saying that he would love to play Gandalf again. I think it was during the X3 press releases. He was basically commenting on how they used the new tenique of using pictures of himself and Patrick Stewart to morph their faces to look younger. Andy Serkis would deffinatly be back in the mix, why not. The only other character that would have to come back would be Elrond played by Hugo Weaving. PJ had already said that a new younger Bilbo would need to be cast. I can't rember where I read these things, but I do know that I saw them.
Chief Smithy of Brick Forge
I buy LEGO, I play with LEGO, therefore LEGO are not for children, they are for me!
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

I guess this is going to be a wait-and-see kind of thing anyhow given that Hollywood is at a standoff with its writers. Still, the thought of a Hobbit movie that ties in well with the LotR trilogy is something I wouldn't complain about.
Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch Batman!!

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... ueandwhite]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwflickrc ... eandwhite/]My Flickr[/url]
Black Falcon
Villein

Post by Black Falcon »

*runs around screaming head off in joy* I saw the announcement last week when it first came out. Am I excited? Well... a little... :wink:

Sad to hear PJ's not directing, but if they've got him on board as executive producer I'll bet he'll have a lot of say (and not be one of those executive producers that just put up money for the project- PJ will have power!). As long as WETA's on board, it's filmed in New Zealand, and Ian McKellen is Gandalf again I'm happy.

The Hobbit is my favorite book. I'm sure the movie (excuse me... movies!) will do it justice. Now if I can only swing a job as a PA or extra on the set... :)
Count
Freeman

Post by Count »

Hmm I wonder though, are 2 films really needed for the Hobbit or is it just a way to make more money?

-Count
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

Count wrote:Hmm I wonder though, are 2 films really needed for the Hobbit or is it just a way to make more money?

-Count
I'm afraid the latter is probably the more likely...let's be honest here, after the success of LOTR, New Line are in this primarily for the (predictably) huge profits a sequel/prequel will bring in.

- Matt
Quickblade22
22 times da man

Post by Quickblade22 »

Ok, here is how I heard it to be. The first movie will be the Hobbit. The second movie will be a tie in movie to fill in the gaps between The Hobbit and the LOTR triology using Unfinished Tales and some unpublished materials. Let the chaos begin. Here is my gift to all of you who are interested.
http://movies.ign.com/objects/492/492768.html

Oh, here is the quote from one of the articles.
What does the future hold for arguably the most anticipated film on the studio's development slate, The Hobbit? Sloan confirmed that MGM is in early discussions with Peter Jackson to make two films. The first film would be a straight-up adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's prequel to The Lord of the Rings. And the second, he says, would be crafted using "footnotes and source material connecting The Hobbit with Lord of the Rings."
I buy LEGO, I play with LEGO, therefore LEGO are not for children, they are for me!
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

I have been following this fairly closely as I am rather obsessed with LotR and Tolkiens works.

According to the head of MGM who has a fair deal of say in what happens PJ will get a great deal of creative control on much of the production.

I think the intermediate movie will make it so they do not have to cut the hobbit down much as well as connect the LotR and the Hobbit nicely. They will use the material from the end appendices of Return of the King and things hinted at in the hobbit like the Necromancer of Dol Guldor, the White Council and such to make up the second movie. PJ supposedly has had the idea of two parts to the Hobbit since before the Return of the King was finished.

Lladnar
Quickblade22
22 times da man

Post by Quickblade22 »

Here is some follow up information I just read today: http://movies.ign.com/articles/850/850653p1.html

I don't want to take the Lego out of this discussion, so I will say that I'm anxiously anticipating these movies so that I can see more Tolkien inspired MOCs and more custom figs.
Azaghal
Landlord

Post by Azaghal »

Hmm. While I'd love to see a Hobbit movie, adding too much of the stuff found in the background material might distract from the main story - Bilbo's journey. Anything more than that - especially if it explores stuff that happened after Bilbo got home - is treading dangerously into "more books written without Tolkien as the writer" territory. :?

On the other hand, one continuity nod I would like to see is a Legolas cameo at some point during the Mirkwood scenes.
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

If the Hobbit is done in the same quality as LOTR, then the more the better. What I also hope for but am extremely doubtful about it happening is the Similarion being brought to the big screen. There is so much inspiration from that book, well lets just say that the more PJ does the better.
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
Danielas
Steward

Post by Danielas »

i can't WAIT javascript:emoticon(':D')javascript:emoticon(':shock:')
Shockedjavascript:emoticon(':D')
Very Happy
Very Happy i hope after they do the hobbit they do one on the fall of Arnor and the witch king that would be great my reason for this is i have played the battle for middle earth witch king expansion and i want to know if it is right or if they made parts up
God Bless. Danielas

Procrastinators Unite!!!!

(tomorrow)

Proud soldier of Classic-Castle. As in, I fight against the Legion of the Aggie.