Weekly Set Review: Bandit Ambush

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Weekly Set Review: Bandit Ambush

Post by architect »

Join the weekly Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 6024 Bandit Ambush.

Bandit Ambush was released in 1996 for the Dark Forest. This rock hideout has two forestmen, a catapult, a jail, a treasure chest with jewels, and multiple accessories.

Last edited by architect on Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

Not a bad little set. You get a rock piece, a few tree branches. A pot. Couple of weapons and shield. And two figures you can easily turn into peasants for your villages. My only question is, how effective is a catapult in a forest ambush situation?

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Additional greenery, BURP (Big Ugly Rock Piece to forestall the inevitable question), a good selection of weapons and two forestmen. Oh, and a 1x1 round catapult to put your eye out with. :wink:

I mostly considered this a good parts set (and it was available for all of $2 at KB Outlet for a while), but it was a nice addition when added to other Forestmen/Dark Forest sets.
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Webrain
Journeyman

Post by Webrain »

A nice little set, good parts, can be really usefull for making a forest. 2 great minifigs. Nice unique face of one of them. It included a black spear which is not that unique anymore but it was my 1st one back then. As it's been said can be a cheap source for BURPs.

Nice set that fits with the overall Dark Forest concept.
Final score 9/10.
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Those figs were indeed easy to convert into peasants and later into a green wizard as well. :D I also used this as a parts set and in all I think I bought about 5-7 of them. I would have liked more, but in a one store town, large quantities and decent sales were hard to come by. I would give it a 6/10 when it came out and a 8/10 now.

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Brickboy
Steward

Post by Brickboy »

I am trying to get this set, but to no avail. :cry:
Alan
good times
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

Nice little parts pack. Not much as a set (a catapult in a small hideout like that? And the ladder; come on! Who's going to walk up a ramp like that when it's much simpler and shorter to step up onto the platform), but great for parts. Nice way to get a diversity of weapons. Also, I love the green torso with maroon collar. I wonder why they used round 1x1s for jewels instead of the jewel pieces. Hadn't they been invented yet?
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Nice set, I like the how it has a great amount of weapons for such a tiny set. I was so glad when they realised Dark Forest. As far as I was concerened, it ment that Forestmen were coming back!
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

Forestmen are my faction, but Dark Forest came out during my dark age. Fortunately, I purchased 20 of these a couple weeks ago, so I have some useful opinions.

This set has great parts and minifigs. I wish I was into LEGO when these first came out so I could have gotten them for a good price.

Sadly, the design of the set seems impractical. A fixed catapult attached to a rock? "Um, sir could you stand a little to the right so my immobile catapult can hit you?" Yeah. I shouldn't be surprised by how dumb that sounds since this set came out at a time when TLC was making lots of stupid things. Still, lots of great parts and minifigs.

So, great parts pack! A must have for the Forestmen fans out there.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

I've always liked this set, but as with so many classic gems (and not so classic semi-precious stones), I never owned it. My sister (later my brother) owned it, so I can claim to have seen it 'in the flesh'. I like the figs and the weapons' assortment, but not the design so much.

Parts: 7/10
Playability: 6.5/10
Figs/Accessories: 8/10
Design (then): 7/10
Design (now): 7.5/10
Nostalgia: 7.5/10

Overall score: 7.25/10
Last edited by Formendacil on Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chancellor Erik
Apprentice

Post by Chancellor Erik »

One of my favorite sets of all time, although I never owned it. The figs are great and I love the ambush idea, though I have doubts about the effectiveness of a catapult in an ambush (I Legos inspiration questionable...). 9/10 when it was released, as I think there were better sets. But 10/10 today, as KKII is Duplo compared to this.
Remember, when you reach for the stars, they're too far away and its hopeless. And even if you could, that would burn your hand clean off. - Wally, from Scott Adams' "Dilbert"
Sir Terrance
Councilor

Post by Sir Terrance »

I like those leaf pieces, figs, shield, BURP, and weapons. Great little set.
Check out my Brickshelf gallery here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=thebrickbin
stuifzand
Archer

Post by stuifzand »

Let's see.... my sigfig is in it :D
I have about 5 of these sets, great pieces in it. I don't know why, but it's one of my favourites :)
If you're a Dutch legofan, visit [url=http://www.lowlug.nl]Lowlug[/url]!
doctorsparkles
Landlord

Post by doctorsparkles »

I bought this set when it came out, and I regret not buying any more.The design isn't particularly great, but from it I got my first two forester people, my first ladder and my second BURP. I would love to come across more of these.
porschecm2
Councilor

Post by porschecm2 »

Not a bad little sort of set. Nothing remarkable as a set, but it had useful pieces. Nowadays, though, this set has supurb design, and outstanding pieces. It has nice figs, and useful pieces. I'd give it a 7.5/10

Mr D: the Jewel pieces didn't come out until the original Adventurers line which was released in '99, I believe.

Cm2