Black Falcons

Discussion of Castle Themed stories
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

I don't think of Black Falcons as good or evil. They are just one of many factions struggling for power, independence, or survival. However, I didn't always see things like this...

When I was young, I thought Black Falcons were bad guys. They were harder to get and that they had the word "Black" in their name, so they must have been bad. Also, Crusaders (I always just called them "lions" when I was younger) had King's Castle and King's Mountain Fortress, so they were the faction of the King and had to be good.

There were sets like Siege Tower and Battering Ram that depicted Black Falcons fighting against Crusaders, and that meant to me that Black Falcons must be bad because they are fighting against the good guys.

Forestmen came along with their Robin Hood style, and it made me start to think that maybe the Crusaders were corrupt. The Forestmen became my favorite faction, and I began picturing the Crusaders as being run by an evil person like the Sheriff of Nottingham.

Later, Black Monarchs came out, and my first impression of them was that they truly were evil. All the blackness, and also the term "Monarch" which us little Americans are trained to perceive as evil because it's not like our system. Finally, Knight's Stronghold came out which depicted Black Falcons and Black Monarchs fighting each other, and I was also getting older so I didn't see everything as black and white.

After Knight's Stronghold came out, I started to think that they were all just different factions with no real good or evil, much like most of the world today. And that is how I came to my current opinion on such matters.

One thing - I never did understand how 2 guys were supposed to take over a castle defended by 3 guys.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Well, its been a while since anyone posted a message here, but reading through it, this is one of the most interesting ones around here.

I never thought of the BFs as bad guys. Partly because I didn't get any until the Legends came out, partly because they all had smiley faces. For me, the bad guys were the Bulls and the FKs (and that was really only their leaders, I became quite attached to the weezils after a while. And Willa was crazy, not evil. :wink: ) The DMs were also always on the bad side, but in a sort of noble, Klingon way. The Wolfpack would have been too, but I never owned any. :cry:

In my mind, until the arrival of Fright Knights on the scene, there was never a definitively BAD faction. They all were more or less good. True, the Crusaders had an excess of moral rightness, but in reality, they were rivals with the BFs, who were equally good, but saw things a different way. The BFs had the same problem with the DMs, who had the same problem with the RKs. The Forestmen were also good, but they disagreed with the Crusaders, and allied themselves against the king with the BFs, but remained adamantly opposed to any foreign incursion into their lands (also the lands of the Crusader overlords). The Crusaders desperate to keep themselves intact, would ally with the RKs, which would bring the DMs in on the BF's side, and so on and on.

So really, the wars in my games began because of confusions, and the malice of individual characters (mad BF generals, jealous RK underlings, brain-starved witches, etc.) The only truly evil faction was.... hmm, actually, I never had a truly evil faction. I guess I'll have to get the KK2s to remedy that. The whole faction's existence is evil! :twisted:
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

I don't know if anyone will read this, but here goes.
My first sight of BF was when Black Knights came out, the only BF I saw was the ones fighting the Black Knights, so I assumed that BF were the bad guys. Until frights knights came out, the bad guys were, Wolfpack and BF as mercianry (or however you spell it) or bandit people, though I had neither of these. Dragon Masters were also bad, but they were the mighty and powerful kind of bad. Now,since I actually have BF, they are good most of the time. The main country is good, it just fights on the wrong side because of corrupt leaders.
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Well, Robin Hood, I can't speak for anyone else, but I read your post. Your youthful ideas are quite similar to the ones I had in my juniorhood. Must be the fact that we're both Albertans. (Or are you really from Sherwood Forest, and just signed up in Alberta? :D )
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Well Formendacil, I am actually from Sherwood. I just updated my profile.
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

That's kind of freaky. The day I learn you're from Sherwood Park is in the same 24 hours that I go through it. The thought of being that close to a fellow AFOL (or YFOL) is kind of scary.
Chancellor Erik
Apprentice

Post by Chancellor Erik »

In my eyes they are bad, but that isn't a bad thing. They aren't bad as in "they are supposed to loose", but rather the bad as in "the dark side". Just my 2 cents worth :twisted: .
Remember, when you reach for the stars, they're too far away and its hopeless. And even if you could, that would burn your hand clean off. - Wally, from Scott Adams' "Dilbert"
legodude101
Peasant

Post by legodude101 »

When i was small i thought everyone was the badguys ,but now the Bf's are the goodguys. All the other were good and bad in a strange way. Well i wish i got more classic castle. :(
Loneranger
Landlord

Post by Loneranger »

I have aways liked the black falcons. thats all I haft to say =P

LR
legodude101
Peasant

Post by legodude101 »

Any more posts i'd like some more And i'll try to get proof that the Blackfalcons fought some evil.
Green Fox
Bailiff

Post by Green Fox »

I always thought they were bad guys, but I enjoy a good anti-hero and the Falcons filled that niche. besides, I always thought that the royals were corrupt, and the Falcons were "righting some wrongs".
jamitjames
Gentleman

Post by jamitjames »

I don't have any but they look neuteral.
[url=http://radio.laml.org/]LAMLradio: LEGO Talk Podcast[/url]
Sir Garth
Apprentice

Post by Sir Garth »

To me, they all have that happy expression, and none of them really looks 'bad'.
They are probably used as BG's because their colors are much darker.
I tend to call them 'Eagle soldiers', but I only have one of them.
*And the bulls arrive in kk2*
Cedric the bull: "Hahaha Leo we're here to- wtf?"
*and the bulls see some happy knights bouncing at each other with carts*
Cedric (shocked): "I guess we got the wrong KK''
Bull soldier (frightened): "Lets go back"
DawnCrusader
Serf

Post by DawnCrusader »

Hi there guys :D
Black Falcons always were my favorite faction, and although I think I had more of the other factions than BF's, they always were the rulling power during my childhood.
Although I think they might be non-so-kind persons amongst the people in the Kingdom, I think if the Realm was endangered by some major threat (like the DM's), they would ally with the Crusaders or with other clear good side faction, to save the Kingdom :)
Well, if you know Rurouni Kenshin Himura anime, they are kinda like Shinomori Aoshi; or if you think Dragon Ball, they're like Vegetta :)
Just my thoughts ;)
"Strength and Honor"
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

DawnCrusader wrote:Well, if you know Rurouni Kenshin Himura anime, they are kinda like Shinomori Aoshi; or if you think Dragon Ball, they're like Vegetta :)
Just my thoughts ;)
That went WAY over my head. (Of course, it's hunched over all the time: writing, using the computer, playing with Lego!)

I'll guess that if you know something about..... Yu Gi Oh, Pokemon, Digimon, or something Japanese animated, this would make more sense to me.

But don't bother explaining, I think I hear my Lego calling....

:wink: