Ranks of Nobility

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
Unknown Knight
Laborer

Ranks of Nobility

Post by Unknown Knight »

I was wondering what are the ranks of nobility?

I read of knights, kings, barons, and earls, but I've never really figured out who's above who.

Could you list them starting from king to knight (or whatever the smallest possible noble is)?

Thanks
the Unknown Knight
----------
Courage, Honor, Loyalty! For Garheim!
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

The basic rundown of the european forms of nobility starting with the lowest and moving up is:

Knight (lowest)
Baronet
Baron
Viscount
Earl
Duke
King (highest)

Most times you may hear the name "Lord" Smith, or "Lady" Scarlet, which may refer to a Baron, Viscount, Earl, or Duke. Such as, Lord Tower, Arch-Duke of Sacramento, for example, or Lady Lorraine, Baroness of Fairfield. Wikipedia or a good dictionary will help you research each title. What I did years ago is make a list and write down the definition for each in heirarchal order until I memorized them.

Whats really cool is that different countries have different names for the titles to add a little spice. Hope this helps.
-Lord Tower of the Order of the Iron Will, Arch-Duke of Sacramento
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

Excellent description Tower - I must confess to asking this question to myself all of the time, and always struggling to get a good rank list - yours shall be saved.

I think that members of SCA may know this as well~

SCA
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

In late medieval england the break down is a bit simple.

esquire -a person of knightly family or weath that is not knighted-
knight

baron
Earl
Duke
King

Banoret as the lesser baron is a post medieval rank.
banneret is a military rank of a man who leads knights but does not change the status socially of the knight doing this.
viscount in the medieval period is sheriff- it is not till the period ends in england that this changes.

Dukes come in into English system in the 14th century with either the Duke of Cornwall (Prince Edward) or the Duke of Lancaster I cannot remember but it is either in the 1330's or 1340's).

Beware that this changes from kingdom and country.... and time to time.

Randall
Danielas
Steward

Post by Danielas »

isent a Viscount the son of a count javascript:emoticon(':?:')
Question
God Bless. Danielas

Procrastinators Unite!!!!

(tomorrow)

Proud soldier of Classic-Castle. As in, I fight against the Legion of the Aggie.