Opinions on Crown Knights

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
crownknightfan
Gong Farmer

Opinions on Crown Knights

Post by crownknightfan »

OK, I am new to posting topics and replys and what-not but I would enjoy posting this new topic:
What are your opinions on the current sets (crown knight) that are being released??? Pros? Cons? What could LEGO do better to make this a better line of products? I will be pleased to hear your opinions :?:
Lego is to Classic-castlers, as candy is to children!
crownknightfan
Gong Farmer

Post by crownknightfan »

Oh PS do you need to post alot of comments and stuff to get upgraded from Gong Farmer? :roll:
Lego is to Classic-castlers, as candy is to children!
Aliencat
Josh's Minion

Post by Aliencat »

Welcome to here crownknightfan,
I don't think this topic should be in the Castle MOCs, since MOC stands for My Own Creation. This section of the forum is meant for topics presenting people's own creations.
As for posting a lot, don't worry about that. It's quality that counts, not quantity. Post good posts, meaningful posts, posts with a purpose, don't double post, you know, common sense. It's better to post something of value than to just post a lot.

Regarding my opinion on the Crown Knights, there's a lot of crown knight fans on these boards, but unfortunately I don't share their enthousiasm. I'm more of an old school guy, I have some big Crusader and Black Knight armies, and don't want to start a whole new army from scratch with these new guys.
The sets are very good though, and I absolutely love the dwarves, goblins and trolls, I've been buying those wherever I could get my hands on them ;)
Between plotting to kill you all and chasing balls of yarn, I also build [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/30639040@N02/albums]MOCs[/url]

[img]http://stopthetrack.com/lego/embassy/alienambassadorpng.png[/img]
Ser Loktar
Foot Soldier

Post by Ser Loktar »

Gdday ands welcome to CC.
Firstly I'll mention that somewhere there's is a very long list explaining the ranking system, I think it's in the administrative section. You have to post I think 10 times to upgrade to the next step, can't recall which is nxt, but some will look down on you if all you do is say "yep" or "it's cool" in every thread just to build rank.
I do love the topic because it gives me a chance to start a fun tirade with my own unpopular opinion. I don't really like the crownies!
The idea of giving us a good vs evil black white story doesn't appeal to me, though I understand that kids like that stuff. I really miss the 'grey' factions like BF, CRU, BK and forestmen that required a child to imagine for him/herself who's bad and good. The definitively evil orc/skelly faction is just too juniorized for me. I love that pointed visors, shortswords, and breastplates came back in tolerable colors but the new palate will always rub me the wrong way. (I guess I'm just a 80's 90's kid at heart)

Although they are usable I'll never wanna include them in a horde of old palate troops. They are however a gaint step in the right direction away from KKII zwords and pink breastplates.

So not all that bad but not up to par with 90's castle, (IMHO)
Ser Loktar
When I was a lad my mother told me that if I stood around all day with my mouth open a weasel was liable to mistake it for his den and jump right in. If you have something to say, say it, otherwise, beware of weasels.
GRRM
Jansen
Steward
Location: Pondering the paradox of organic American cheese...

Post by Jansen »

Welcome to C-C! For my opinion, I'll say that the CKs don't appeal to me at all. The metallic helms i don't like except on knights or higher ranking soldiers. I don't like the color scheme either. But I do love the Dwarves and trolls!

P.S. I really dislike the skellies also!
"An apple a day keeps people deathly-allergic to apples away."
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/gusalagupagoo/]flickr[/url]
DaleDVM
Journeyman

Post by DaleDVM »

Welcome to CC. I just found this site myself a couple of months ago.

Let me be the first to say I absolutely love the crownie sets. I have huge armies of all of the older factions (except the classic castle guys, only a few of them) and have crownies now to match all of the others. The shiny armor makes these guys stand out.

The structures in the sets themselves are great... Kings castle siege is a return to the type of castles I want to build with 4 walls and everything. The dock in the skeleton ship attack is nicely built as well.

I do not have a problem with the good vs bad idea of the skeletons either. Maybe it is because I am a kid at heart (or maybe I'm just immature) But I feel not all conflicts are colored in shades of grey. Sometimes one side is just flat out wrong. (bad skeles, bad trolls) The only problem I have with the skeletons (and it is a major flaw in my opinion) is that they are not very posable. Atleast now they can hold their arms up. :)

I personally find it vital to keep the figures fresh and different from past armies. The color scheme is absolutely brilliant in my opinion. I have way too many of the old red/blue figures and flags. I needed something new to set this faction apart. The dark blue and gold is a winner for me.

I am of the mindset that the more choices you have the better. I am not quite sure why people want to stick to castles, themes, and color schemes that are the same or very similar as in the past. Second releases of past sets are nice so you can catch up on things you may have missed. However expensive they are, past sets are always available at bricklink or on e-bay. I've spent many a dollar there catching up. As for the future I hope TLC keeps coming out with new attractive factions just like they did with the crownies, skeletons, trolls, and dwarves. And... I'm sure they will because that is where the money is.
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

I think the crownies are pretty cool as well. IN many ways a return to earlier themes. At first I was not sure if I was happy they were fighting against skellies though but think it is pretty cool as well. now.

I love the return of various castle helmets from classic castle though!

R
Quickblade22
22 times da man

Post by Quickblade22 »

I'm a fan of the Crown Knights. My era started when the Crusaders and Black Falcons came on the scene, but I really like this faction. I'm a big fan of the color scheme, and the skellies are a cool choice for an opposing faction. I'm not so put out about the "black and white" issue as most people are here. Eventually you have to pick a side. If you walk on the fence long enough, you'll eventually fall off. What's wrong with using the skeletons as good guys. I certainly don't begrudge anyone for liking the older themes, but these new guys on the brick fit in nicely.
Chief Smithy of Brick Forge
I buy LEGO, I play with LEGO, therefore LEGO are not for children, they are for me!
Wolfpacker
Serf

Post by Wolfpacker »

When I first saw the crownies, I thought, "Alright! Generic foot soldiers are back!", but was more interested in the undead and trolls. But after I looked at them a bit, I noticed that their symbol is similar to one of the old castle symbols: http://guide.lugnet.com/set/?q=375_2&v=z
(see the castle's symbol?)

I also relish the return of old helmets and weapons of yore, but I'm still undecided on the silvery colour. :?
I build, therefore I am. If I build nothing, AM I nothing?
deathdog1
Apprentice

Post by deathdog1 »

As noted by others before me, the skellies aren't my favorite. I'm taking the heads off and putting them on Star Wars stormtrooper bodies for posability. Yes, it's my world and I'll do as I please. I like the color scheme for the CK, although the silvery helmets are hard to deal with in brickfilming -- too much glare. As I'm just getting started in the hobby, mixing the factions is no big deal to me. I love the weapons choices, although a return to brown pikes and crossbows would be my preference.
"Always remember to pillage BEFORE you burn!" http://glomshire.thecomicseries.com/comics/
Olog
Villein

Post by Olog »

Except for the silver color of armors, helmets and some weapons, I agree of the new crown knights. I'm a fan of old dark gray armor. The dark blue color scheme works well, although I'll personally be replacing the gold with something else. the facial expressions on the new knights are a nice change, and I'm definitely not against skeletons and trolls/orcs.
Prince Imdol
Master

Post by Prince Imdol »

Let me at this moment first welcome you to our wonderful forum Classic-Castle.

As other have said, this would go in announcements of Lego Castle sets.

And yes, you do have to post to get a higher rank, but I encourage you to make sure every post is well written and well thought out. Quality of quantity!

I do like Crown Knight sets a lot. I have only bought one so far, but in the future, I plan to acquire more.

P.I
Thomas C.
"Sow a thought, reap an action;
Sow an action, reap a habit.
Sow a habit, reap a character.
Sow a character, reap a destiny"

"Don't let school interfere with your education."-Huckleberry Finn
Aragornn45
Foot Soldier

Post by Aragornn45 »

Well, first off welcome. As for the crown knights I like them. At first I thought they were kind of strange, with the silvery helms and weapons, but I've grown to like them. I especially liked the barding on the horses and the addition of a new color of horse helm (I think?) was nice. I don't like the skellies at all though, I would have much preferred something closer to the original skeleton design. I'm actually hoping the CKs stick around for a while, so that I can amass a larger army from my limited student budget.
Blue Monarch
Bailiff

Post by Blue Monarch »

Welcome... I'm a fan of new ideas. That being said, I think the Crown Knights are my favorite faction (after Wolfpack). KK2 was too ostentatious and gaudy... these knights are more "old school."
The term "Hobby" allows you to explain to your relatives why you still play with toys...
raginalbino
Villein

Post by raginalbino »

I love the CK. Honestly they are what brought me out of my dark ages. While I never stopped paying attention to Lego I did stop buying, building and playing with it for about 5 years. Once I saw my little cousin start building with star wars and vikings I knew my time had come to get back into it.