Why does there have to be fighting in every set?

Open message to The LEGO Company. We make no guarantee that anyone from LEGO will actually read them, let alone respond!
boses
Man-At-Arms

Post by boses »

Sir Kohran said:

"I honestly can't see this happening. Kids don't want to buy a battle pack, a civilian building, and a load of other sets just to create a battle scenario, they want to be able to buy one single set that will come with a scenario already available. Look at all the KK2/Castle sets that sold well - pretty much every one of them has a set-up conflict in them. And army builders, and AFOLs in general, represent a tiny amount of the Castle audience, not enough to warrant a change in production just for them"

Good point, I see what you mean, but I still think that larger battle packs to supplement the normal sets would be well received, and sell well...
"Life is a blooming miracle, all wrapped in a package of light, and the hands of God are ever strong for doing what He might..."
---brickshelf---

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=boses
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

For me I wouldn't mind some civilian sets but thats because I have always liked such sets, even when a kid. I liked Castle,Town, and Space. I liked the mini-figure five pack set in the mid-eighties that had a commoner along with the knights but by the time that set was released I was in my early twenties.
Bottom line is we need more civilian sets but thats just an AFOL wanting some balance. Younger boys probably wouldn't want more in general. LEGO will make what those that buy the most want. Maybe if we voice enough complaints...maybe.
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

Good point, I see what you mean, but I still think that larger battle packs to supplement the normal sets would be well received, and sell well...
Yes, by themselves they would probably sell well - but this in turn might damage sets sales; if most of the figs are already available in packs then buyers might not be so inclined to buy big sets for them.
Last edited by Sir Kohran on Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FirebenderDude2
Journeyman

Post by FirebenderDude2 »

How about this one?
I don't think that counts. :)
Woe is me, woe is me, I used to have a hamster tree. Then it got eaten by a newt and now I have no cuddly fruit.
Emperor James
Steward

Post by Emperor James »

nothing non-military in the middle ages was interesting. sure there were lots and lots of peasant farmers but lego isnt going to make sets of them because theyre boring.
pwnage
Danielas
Steward

Post by Danielas »

I think a few non war sets would be good so I could have Peasants In Arms!!
God Bless. Danielas

Procrastinators Unite!!!!

(tomorrow)

Proud soldier of Classic-Castle. As in, I fight against the Legion of the Aggie.
MoonCheese
Freeman

Post by MoonCheese »

Maybe they should have a civilian "battle" pack for the AFOLs.
Hob Took
Reeve

Post by Hob Took »

Yeah, that advent calander does have a more civilized look to it than just about all past LEGO castle sets. I mean even the Blacksmith's Shop has weapons in it. If you look at all LEGO sets, many involve violence. City has mainly turned from houses, postoffices, and hotels to police, hospitals, firefighters, construction (not violent), and waste/cleanup (very, extreamly violent :wink: ). However as people have said, City/Town is turning back with the release of Cafe Corner, Market Street, and Green Grocer. Other themes that involve violence; Exo-Force, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Mars Mission, Bionicle, Aquaraiders, Batman, and Harry Potter. That's about half of the themes, but they make up for most of the sets. Going back to the "LEGO is aimed at kids" thing, kids would rather have a fire station than an apartment complex, an armed starship instead of a cantina, a castle under siege instead of a farm. I would like to see Castle change like the City/Town theme is changing, but I just think that when you compare the themes together Castle doesn't rank that high in sales and popularity. Therefore, it may take a while for Castle to change.

One important thing is that the Star Wars theme is dying out, and hopefully it will go before George Lucas starts making the TV show in 2010 I think. If that happens then either current themes will expand, or a new theme will emerge. I'm hoping for the latter.

My two cents.

Hob Took
MoonCheese
Freeman

Post by MoonCheese »

I think they're continuing SW until 2011.
Danielas
Steward

Post by Danielas »

umm... i can't deside if thats a good thing or a bad thing

back to pesents why dosent lego make a set with skeletons attacking a tavern so you can use it in peace and in war
God Bless. Danielas

(tomorrow)

Proud soldier of Classic-Castle. As in, I fight against the Legion of the Aggie.
castlebuilder100
Man-At-Arms

Post by castlebuilder100 »

I agree that they should make a theme like this. However the reason why they probably don't is because kids wouldn't be as interested in this.
I mean I would be very excited if they did this and I would buy all of the sets but the average kid might think that it was boring.
Emperor James wrote:nothing non-military in the middle ages was interesting. sure there were lots and lots of peasant farmers but lego isnt going to make sets of them because theyre boring.
I disagree everything about the middle ages is interesting. Maybe not to little kids though.
MarioDAlessio
Foot Soldier

Post by MarioDAlessio »

Lego does produce castle sets without the display of conflict, sometimes I inadvertently attribute conflict to all castle sets, and a good recent example is:

10176: King's Castle
http://www.brickset.com/detail.aspx?Set=10176-1

On reflection, I have never seen an official Lego image of conflict associated with this set, it seems that even the Bulls and Lion Knights are happy and sharing the Viking kings castle.

On the other hand, a lot of conflict here:

8813: Battle at the Pass
http://www.brickset.com/detail.aspx?Set=8813-1

Mario
Voran_the_Scholar
Landlord

Post by Voran_the_Scholar »

I'd like to say that there is only fighting in a set if you want there to be fighting. Otherwise, they could all be allies. And then no one dies. Hence, no violence.
May the blessing of the Lord be upon you. <><

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/voran/]Flickr[/url]
Danielas
Steward

Post by Danielas »

good call Voran! But they did makes some non war sets like the guarded inn (which i got) and the black smith. But i do agree they need some non-war sets. But not at the cost or the war sets! ( as in they cut back war. If they did that i would rather make my own.)
God Bless. Danielas

(tomorrow)

darthsantkuyl
Serf

Post by darthsantkuyl »

Emperor James wrote:nothing non-military in the middle ages was interesting. sure there were lots and lots of peasant farmers but lego isnt going to make sets of them because theyre boring.
exactly 600 years from now do you think that kids would be interested in playing with a figure like Joe or bob down the street who are working at Walmart etc. it's just not that interesting to kids.