sir dano wrote:
What does it turn the black skeletons into? :wink:
S'mores. Nasty tasting s'mores.
stuart2010
Villein

Post by stuart2010 »

coutesy of wikipedia

Skeleton (undead)

"skeletons are capable of reassembling themselves when their bones are scattered, and are only defeated when they are led off of a cliff into the ocean"

And I think even then it's only a metter of time before they find their way out again!
|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

Beware Wikipedia.

Lately it has gotten worse.

To be honest as no undead skellies I know of are around to test this on I trust in your legoverse you're own imagination will have to do.

R
sir lockt
Villein

Post by sir lockt »

In my legoverse Skelletons are animated 'creatures', coming back to life by powerful dead-magic.

This magic consumes the remaining of the life energy of the deceased to re-bind its bones and to give it some basic intelligence, to move and to attack.

If hit by any weapon, even hit by fist, this 'energy' is weakened and eventually the 'bond' is broken and the skelletons fall apart.

Of course if additional dead-magic-energy is added the broken skelletons can be 're-animated' or even stronger versions can be made of it (the 'captains' with much more musles and flesh on it).

But like said above...its my imagination and everybody will look to it differently
melonkernel
Apprentice

Post by melonkernel »

A bowling ball might do the trick :)
Or letting the dogs loose.
Or hitting them with something heavy.

Oh, i know. Heavy cavalry!
paleotaur
Peasant

Post by paleotaur »

I would say that once you removed the limbs and the head, a skeleton would be pretty much harmless. (if you fail to remove the head, they are still pretty harmless, but could still bite somone getting too near)

Hmm, I'll have to discuss it with my six year old nephew. :)
AmperZand
Apprentice

Post by AmperZand »

stuart2010 wrote:coutesy of wikipedia

Skeleton (undead)

"skeletons are capable of reassembling themselves when their bones are scattered, and are only defeated when they are led off of a cliff into the ocean".
As you pointed out earlier in this thread, that's what happend in the old Jason and the Argonauts film. IIRC that's also what happened to a lone skeleton being fought by Sinbad in one of the old films. However, in Pirates of the Caribbean, the skellies could walk along the ocean floor.

In the version of Jason and the Argonauts from just a few years ago, Jason defeated the skeletons by having them hit each other.

I think there were skeletons in the Hercules and Xena telly series starring Kevin Sorbo and Lucy Lawless, but I don't recall how they were beaten.

Usually, on matters of this kind, I start with classical references (which I don't have to hand) and, failing that, to D&D. In D&D, skeletons can be defeated by simply doing them enough physical damage that they lack the physical capacity to fight, i.e. by breaking their limbs or smashing their skull. In the game, that's represented by hit point damage.

Remember, animated skeletons aren't dead and therefore immortal, they're undead and therefore mortal. :)
timber_wolf899
Merchant

Post by timber_wolf899 »

I mostly go along with sir lockt's way of thinking here with a ew differenced.

I allow for a 'critical hit' the decapitation in the old jason movie etc.

Now i havent made up my mind on ranged weapons. I started out saying they cannot use bows, but the skeleton battlepack has a black skellie with a crossbow. So i'm toying with the idea that the black ones have more magical energy and thus hae the ability to be crossbowmen, all be it por ones. Haven't made a final call there.

I hadn't considered the effects of fire.
Domino Gloria!
Starwars4J
Laborer

Post by Starwars4J »

Well when I play with them, I have a certain logic behind it. Similar to many stories, the animated skeletons are reanimated by the power of a necromancer. This necromancer needs to keep a flow of his power out to hold the skeletons together. This allows the skeletons to reassemble and continue on, as long as the necromancer remains alive or has enough power.

This of course means, if your undead opponent's army suddenly falls apart, it's a sure sign the necromancer behind them is in deep trouble.

Of course losing an arm or a head requires some additional energy to put them back together, beyond what normal energy it would take to keep them moving. This of course takes a great intelligence and power to keep a large army on the move, although at higher levels of power this really isn't all that much.

Anyway this additional energy needs to be monitored, so especially in battle a necromancer would remain deep in meditation, siphoning power to various degrees among each undead. Taking large leaps would also, naturally drain extra power.

Thereby, no physical weapon is capable of killing an undead. They'd need to be crushed into dust, or obliterated in some other fashion so that no matter how much energy is put into the system, there's just not enough physical matter left to collect and reanimate. Naturally mages are at a premium these days :wink:
melonkernel
Apprentice

Post by melonkernel »

In the set 7090 Crossbow Attac they go at them with the ballistic crossbow thingy. Plus thye have regular crossbows and an axe. How effective the different weapons are remain to be answered.
In 7093 Skeleton Tower the knight attacks a tower with lance and horse. I would say a formation of heavy cavalry could take out a large army of skeletons in one plough.
In 7092 Skeletons Prison Carriage there is a mounted knight with a Glaive
"A spear-like weapon with a sword at its end. It is great for attacking the enemies from a distance, standing behind a shield wall."

Oh. btw, the black knight skeleton
"Clad in enchanted black armor, the Black Knight Skeleton leads the Evil Wizard’s dark army across the kingdom. Stronger and more cunning than the other Evil Skeletons, he is a master of fighting and lacks any honor in battle. Forever loyal to his master, he will do anything to capture or destroy the Castle!"
has the War Axe right.
"Double-Headed Axe
The weight of the Double-Headed Axe makes it less practical than the normal Axe, and only the strongest of warriors can wield them."
So they must be rather strong.
Dr.Cogg
Laborer

Post by Dr.Cogg »

There's two ways I know of to destroy skeleton's, destroying the wizards scepter or grinding them into a fine powder,because breaking them to pieces won't destroy them according to a lego comic.
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

AmperZand wrote:
Usually, on matters of this kind, I start with classical references (which I don't have to hand) and, failing that, to D&D. In D&D, skeletons can be defeated by simply doing them enough physical damage that they lack the physical capacity to fight, i.e. by breaking their limbs or smashing their skull. In the game, that's represented by hit point damage.

Remember, animated skeletons aren't dead and therefore immortal, they're undead and therefore mortal. :)
In response to this question I would follow what D&D suggested to me twenty years ago. When attacking monsters the characters use their weapons to cause the target creature physical damage or spells to cause magical damage. Skeletons are usually classified as relatively weak monsters and it doesn't take a lot to kill them. But if this commonly perceived notion doesn't grab you just sit and brainstorm a while and come up with something different.
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

Last edited by Athos on Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

Athos,

uh.... what a wild forum... I think being on there long would give me a headache. Some funny and creative ones for sure.

R
MoonCheese
Freeman

Post by MoonCheese »

Athos, you seem to have posted two links to the same thread...