Triquetra on the Viking Shield

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
Voran_the_Scholar
Landlord

Triquetra on the Viking Shield

Post by Voran_the_Scholar »

The knotwork, as seen on these viking shields, has actual symbolism behind it. I knew this but didn't know what it was called. It's called a triquetra, and its symbolism is rather interesting. Link to info.

I wonder if LEGO knew of this? With all the research they have done on runic symbols, I wonder if this ever crossed their radar screen.

Admin and Mods: Not sure if this belongs here or elsewhere. Please move if it's in the wrong place.
May the blessing of the Lord be upon you. <><

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/voran/]Flickr[/url]
kibosh
Apprentice

Post by kibosh »

Nice detective work. You really are a scholar!

I would think based on it's Germanic and Celtic histories, I would think Lego used this symbol on purpose. Vikings are considered Celtic, are they not?
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

Vikings are certainly not celtic. They are germanic, with a few additions in Finland and in eastern europe they mixed with Slavs.

I think Lego, being a company based in a Scandinavian country would be well familar with viking designs. I doubt they really went into much detail as to the designs meaning as it is more an art associated to vikings. Just like the fact the native american sets had natives with all sorts of items of significance to their cultures but were likely only used because they were associated objects and artworks that peopple would recognize. to eb of that culture.

R
kibosh
Apprentice

Post by kibosh »

My bad. Where did the Celts inhabit?
MoonCheese
Freeman

Post by MoonCheese »

I thought the Celts were in what today is the British Isles, but I was (mostly) educated in the USA so I could be wrong.
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

The celts seem to have been in central europe and moved all over from there into spain, britain, Ireland, italy even Greece, possibly further.

The germanic groups come from the east and push them out. Angles, saxons, jutes, franks, Norse, etc all germanic. They in turn get pushed by slavs once more arrivign from the east but they do not take over most of europe like the germanic groups did. Really ireland, wales, bits of cornwall, scotland and some bits of northwestern spain are the places that held out of germanic conquest.

In the end few groups completely wipe another one out. The onvaders usually are far fewer in number so this is all very simplified. Cultures blend and adapt etc as well.

R
insurrection
Laborer

Post by insurrection »

I was (mostly) educated in the USA so I could be wrong.
Hehe, I don't think even european educational systems is enough to help here, trying to get a good grip of the Völkerwanderung is like having a mensa test...

One group moves accross half the continent, drives off another group which move, change their name to be confusingly simillar to annother, then move again, driving of jet another group, fuses with a third group, defend themself aginst a fourthgroup which is related to the first group and so on and on...
It's like if they didn't do anyting els than wandering around fighting :P

(ok I exaggerated, but this is at least the way it might feel when you try to figure out how it all connects)
Voran_the_Scholar
Landlord

Heir of Black Falcon wrote:Vikings are certainly not celtic. They are germanic, with a few additions in Finland and in eastern europe they mixed with Slavs.

I think Lego, being a company based in a Scandinavian country would be well familar with viking designs. I doubt they really went into much detail as to the designs meaning as it is more an art associated to vikings. Just like the fact the native american sets had natives with all sorts of items of significance to their cultures but were likely only used because they were associated objects and artworks that peopple would recognize. to eb of that culture.

R
Eh, you're probably right. By the way, how politically incorrect is that? Making Native Americans whose only (viable) enemy is the US Army? I think Lego slipped a little on that one. I wonder if there was ever a lawsuit...

castlebuilder100
Man-At-Arms

Post by castlebuilder100 »

I new this was a real viking symbol and I like to draw it but I never new what it was until now. Thanks for the info. :D
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

This discussion is more appropriate in the Medieval Life forum, so I will move it there.

Ben
CC Sets Admin
Voran_the_Scholar
Landlord

Thnaks, Ben! :D

wobnam
Master Liliputian
Master Liliputian

Post by wobnam »

Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

If you throw in the normans, the vikings more 'refined' children it would be even bigger. Really the vikings in many ways shaped much of that area of the world. Perhaps not always how they wanted (one of the few times Ireland was unified by a High King was the vikings fault.... pity for them he basically pushed them out of Ireland) but they impacted quite alot of counties and kingdoms. In the end their pillaging is what they get remembered first for but they were also great explorers, traders and artists. It just is harder to see while everything is burning...

R
jokkna
Goat Brigade

Post by jokkna »

The vikings were originally german tribe who most likely travelled north to find some food when the ice melted. Wikings then set out an blanded with people from almost all over the world. they mixed with Irish people and people from the east. And it might interest you that they went even to Istanbul and instead of fighting the wikings the king offered them to join his bodyguard so that vikings became very respected in istanbul. And one wiking even scratced his name in Hagia Sofia. :!:
wobnam
Master Liliputian
Master Liliputian

Post by wobnam »

Hey, don't give any germans credit for Vikings ;)

You mention Istanbul, jokkna; I guess most Americans who don't already know will be surprised to learn that Vikings also went across the Atlantic Ocean to America 500 years before Columbus.