Black Falcons

Discussion of custom parts made for the Castle Theme
Aragornn45
Foot Soldier

Black Falcons

Post by Aragornn45 »

I can't remember who created the stickers I used, so please come forward and be recognized :wink:

Now without further adieu, I present my Black Falcon heavy infantry:

This is my first attempt at custom torsos so they aren't perfect but I think they turned out pretty good, same with the shields. I'm not so keen on the rubber bands I used to hold the swords in place, but it's all I could think of (if anyone has a better idea let me hear it).

A bit of a back story with these guys is that they are an elite group of men set to defend a remote corner of the kingdom. There is a captain, lieutenant, 3 regulars, and a "buck private" also known as "the new guy." They recently lost the previous lieutenant in a border attack so there was some rearranging of the troops including bringing a new man on board. They prefer to use the phalanx formation, but can fight individually when needed.
It is to a man's honor to avoid strife, but every fool is quick to quarrel.
-Proverbs 20:3
Sir Dano
Village Idiot
Village Idiot

Re: Black Falcons

Post by Sir Dano »

Aragornn45 wrote:I can't remember who created the stickers I used, so please come forward and be recognized :wink:
That would be me. :wink:
These are great! Great backstory as well.
The only thing I would recommend would be put some scotch tape over the stickers to protect them, and it would also make them look a bit less like stickers.
Blue Head
Steward

Post by Blue Head »

sir dano wrote: The only thing I would recommend would be put some scotch tape over the stickers to protect them, and it would also make them look a bit less like stickers.
Agreed. Everything else is great, including the background story :)

blue <><
Aragornn45
Foot Soldier

Post by Aragornn45 »

sir dano wrote:
Aragornn45 wrote:I can't remember who created the stickers I used, so please come forward and be recognized :wink:
That would be me. :wink:
These are great! Great backstory as well.
The only thing I would recommend would be put some scotch tape over the stickers to protect them, and it would also make them look a bit less like stickers.
I thought it might have been you but for the life of me I couldn't remember, thanks for the awesome stickers :D
I'll have to try that scotch tape trick, it sounds promising.
castlebuilder100
Man-At-Arms

Post by castlebuilder100 »

Thes aren't very realistic ....but I dont care. They look awesome. Great job.
Aragornn45
Foot Soldier

Post by Aragornn45 »

castlebuilder100 wrote:Thes aren't very realistic ....but I dont care. They look awesome. Great job.
realism has never been my strong suit :wink: and thanks :D
Quickblade22
22 times da man

Post by Quickblade22 »

I was just thinking about making some BF stickers myself. They look great on the figs, so good job by the both of you. I do have a suggestion though. Do not use scotch tape. Use clear packaging tape. Scotch tape is usually not large enough to cover the torso. It is also more suseptable (sp?) to make the decal look less impressive with the way it covers the decal, leaving a blurred look. I like packaging tape because it is clearer, and sticks better.
Chief Smithy of Brick Forge
I buy LEGO, I play with LEGO, therefore LEGO are not for children, they are for me!
Sir Dano
Village Idiot
Village Idiot

Post by Sir Dano »

Oops :oops: My bad, packaging tape is what I meant. In my house all clear tape is called scotch tape. Another method I've been meaning to try is laminating sheets. I've picked up a pack of them, but I haven't printed out any decals lately, so I'm not sure how well it works.
Aragornn45
Foot Soldier

Post by Aragornn45 »

Ok, well I have some packing tape somewhere around here, so I'll try that next week, when I get some free time.
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

CB100,

Why do they not look realistic? They are legomen after all.

They look nice good history for them?

R
castlebuilder100
Man-At-Arms

Post by castlebuilder100 »

Heir of Black Falcon wrote:CB100,

Why do they not look realistic? They are legomen after all.

They look nice good history for them?

R
Umm, Have you ever seen guys with shields and halberds with swords strapped to their backs? Also, if you had a halberd I don't think you would have one of those basinet-like helmets. As for " they are legomen after all" that is why I don't care that they don't look realistic.
Aharown
Apprentice

Post by Aharown »

Hi Aragornn45,

Great use of stickers! I like the way the soldiers are posed - the Swiss used similar formations when attacking mounted knights (although with much longer pikes - halberds were used as a back-up weapon by that point.)

Although halberds were two-handed weapons and wouldn't have been used with shields, your soldiers' look is still very compelling.

Don't worry about the swords - although standard swords usually weren't worn like that, two-handed swords were. (They were also used as a back-up weapon with the pikemen). Great use of the small rubber bands - I'll have to try that with the greatswords! :)
<><
Ser Loktar
Foot Soldier

Post by Ser Loktar »

Veeerry pretty decals there Aragorn45, I like the final product a fair bit too.
I like the backstory you've given them and, after reading it, can see why these badasses don't have horses. It seems the concept of heavy infantry is either overdone KKII style or sadly overlooked by most of us (myself included).
I always used to have troubles with the sheath idea as a kid but came up with my own little solution.
Most don't have a dozen years of cat hair on 'em and although the sword pictured is a custo made with a lance I've made tons of sheaths for regular shortswords too. If your interested in trying to convince me to trade some PM me, or try making your own, you only need a little needle,thread, leather, and time... way too much time :wink:

If you do try your own I'd love to see the finished product,
if not they still look like they could hold a shield wall together,
Ser Loktar
When I was a lad my mother told me that if I stood around all day with my mouth open a weasel was liable to mistake it for his den and jump right in. If you have something to say, say it, otherwise, beware of weasels.
GRRM
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

CB100,

OK. Fair enough. Though for the most part two handed weapons were not compatible with shields some do. Pikemen from burgundy were required to use some type of shield with pikes, one can assume it was tied or buckled to their forearm and perhaps a hand strap in the left hand. The Scottish Schiltrons in the 13th century on often indicate the first rank was to be in good armour and/or have a shield, while not 15 feet or more as later pikes these were pretty big spears. Apart from these the only two handed weapon that can be used with a shield I know of. Lots of standard Lego sets would be affected by this though, the shields with two handed weapons, double headed axes, horned helmets, anything fantasy…. Etc. I might not use halbards or pikes with my shield men but it looks cool still.

I had always thought of them as armets or close helmets than bascinets.
http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/make/ho_20.150.1.htm
http://warriorsofhistory.com/research/1 ... _tower.jpg
http://www.mallet-argent.com/portfolio.html
If an armet they were usually knightly helmets but the bascinet was basically used by every class, even visored ones so it depends.

R