Timeout?

Rules, Regulations, Announcements, Technical Issues, Etc.
wobnam
Master Liliputian
Master Liliputian

Post by wobnam »

pacman110011 wrote:By the latest Internet Explorer, I meant IE7 Pro.
IE7 Pro isn't a version of Internet Explorer, but an IE add-on. As mentioned, you need to install and add-on like this to get spell-checking.
pacman110011
Artisan

Post by pacman110011 »

Pfft, add on, latest version, close enough to the same thing to me. :wink:
-Devin
wobnam
Master Liliputian
Master Liliputian

Post by wobnam »

Maybe not close enough for anyone madly searching the Microsoft website for the latest Pro version of IE ;)

By the way: IE7Pro official site.
Voran_the_Scholar
Landlord

Post by Voran_the_Scholar »

Formendacil wrote:
Dr. J wrote:The latest version of Firefox has a built-in spell check. Like for instance, your name has a little red line underneath it right now. :lol:
I'm not computer-geeky enough to speak with authority on the subject, but my own experience is that using Firefox will also solve the time-out issue. At least, I know that while I would time out on forum posting back when I only had IE, I've never had that problem since using Firefox.
I use firefox, and I have never had a problem.
May the blessing of the Lord be upon you. <><

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/voran/]Flickr[/url]
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

wobnam wrote:
Formendacil wrote:my own experience is that using Firefox will also solve the time-out issue.
I assume most timeouts are simply caused by the user being idle on the forum for longer than the server-set timeout period. This shouldn't be affected by what browser you are using.
Not on the server end of things, perhaps, but (and maybe this is just a settings issue not a brand of browser issue) Firefox will save what you've been typing, if you hit "send" or "post" and it fails to upload. If you go back to the page you were typing on, your text should still be there. Then you can hit "save" and log back in--so although there may be a bit of hassle, your forty minutes of typing were not wasted.

Anyway, as I said, that may not be a difference of browsers but of the way I have them set up... I'm really not educated enough to know.
wobnam
Master Liliputian
Master Liliputian

Post by wobnam »

Formendacil wrote:(and maybe this is just a settings issue not a brand of browser issue) Firefox will save what you've been typing, if you hit "send" or "post" and it fails to upload. If you go back to the page you were typing on, your text should still be there.
I have a lot of experience with doing this in Explorer, too. I think it might have to do with your browsers cache-settings (if you reload the page from the server every time, or just use the cached version), and probably how the website saves your input (redirects or such).

Anyway, a pretty secure way to avoid losing text like this should be to activate the auto-login feature ("remember me"). That way, if you are logged out due to a timeout while writing, your browser will automatically log you back in when you attempt to post.