Reading Eragon into it

Discussion of Castle Themed stories
melonkernel
Apprentice

Reading Eragon into it

Post by melonkernel »

Hi, I am currently reading Eragon, and I see more and more Things form the books in the new Castle sets.
Dragon riders, dwarfs, the trolls can be Urgals, and the big Trolls can be Kulls.
The Evil Wizard is the Shade, who has captured Arya

Theirm, The slave traders, the Kulls attacing Farthen Dûr

Of course, I don't think it's intentionally Eragon from Lego's point of view. But I must say that they have succeeded in making a "Generic" fantasy theme where builders can freely use their imagination to create their favourite fantasy world.

(If this fits better in the MOC forum, then feel free to move it.)
Last edited by melonkernel on Sun May 18, 2008 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
MoonCheese
Freeman

Post by MoonCheese »

Eragon is awesome. I don't understand why everyone hates it...

Yeah, I think Lego's Castle line works for a lot of fantasy in general, especially the Tolkien-influenced stuff (and Tolkien itself). I'd have trouble implementing my own fantasy world, which strives to be different with its cat-people and white, furry goblins.

It would be cool if you could show us some Eragon-related MOCs.
melonkernel
Apprentice

Post by melonkernel »

Yes, I will probably make some when i have enough parts :)
The only sets I have from the new line is the Dwarv's Mine and two Crownies.

... But this week i will hand in my final version of my Master's thesis, and then my friend i will start building some serious Lego.

(Speaking of having little time, I just (Sunday) finished the Dwarv's Mine, which I bought on Thursday. But i i saved it until me and my 2,5 y old daughter had both "free time" to build it.)

Anyway. Have a nice day.
highlandcattle
Serf

Post by highlandcattle »

MoonCheese wrote:Eragon is awesome. I don't understand why everyone hates it...
I've never read it, but the movie was pretty [edit] awfull....
Danielas
Steward

Post by Danielas »

Highland cattle, don't use bad words or you may get banned!
God Bless. Danielas

Procrastinators Unite!!!!

(tomorrow)

Proud soldier of Classic-Castle. As in, I fight against the Legion of the Aggie.
DaleDVM
Journeyman

Post by DaleDVM »

I've never read it, but the movie was pretty _______ awfull....
that quote was edited for content.,, sorry.

I agree the movie was pretty bad but as usual the books are much better. When I read Eragon I was thinking gosh these creatures all sound like Tolkeins but with different names. That is not a bad thing. Tolkein is the inspiration of many a writer, and we fantasy fans benefit from it.

I for one am very happy with what lego is doing with the castle line. The fantasy element really sets the theme free so that anyone can create their own world with all of the new characters. It also stimulates building in new directions. [/quote]
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

This topic belongs in Castle Stories more than LEGO Castle Sets. I am moving it there.

Ben
CC Sets Admin
King of the West
emoticon patrol

Post by King of the West »

DaleDVM wrote:
I've never read it, but the movie was pretty _______ awfull....
that quote was edited for content.,, sorry.

I agree the movie was pretty bad but as usual the books are much better. When I read Eragon I was thinking gosh these creatures all sound like Tolkeins but with different names. That is not a bad thing. Tolkein is the inspiration of many a writer, and we fantasy fans benefit from it.

I for one am very happy with what lego is doing with the castle line. The fantasy element really sets the theme free so that anyone can create their own world with all of the new characters. It also stimulates building in new directions.
[/quote]
Well, my main problem with Eragon is the plot. Its basically Star Wars with new names. Dragon Riders= Jedi. Emperor=Emperor[No duh]. Eragon= Luke.
I am the Ruler of The Western Lands. All shall bow before me!
THESENATE
Gong Farmer

Post by THESENATE »

Can't help but post. I've read the Eragon and the Eldest, and I can't wait for the third one to come out... I thought I'd like to point something out: In Eragon, they have mountains in the west, and bigger in the west. In Lord of the Rings, they have mountains in the west and bigger in the east. And guess what? In the Wheel of Time series, they have moutains in the west and bigger in the east. And all the west moutains have mystery to them... Like dissappearances in Eragon, Moria in LOTR, and anceint ruins in Wheel of Time... And don't forget all three have uber forests somwhere on the map!
MOCpages username: Awesome-o-saurus
BrikWars username: THESENATE
Voran_the_Scholar
Landlord

Post by Voran_the_Scholar »

What do you mean by "bigger"?
May the blessing of the Lord be upon you. <><

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/voran/]Flickr[/url]
THESENATE
Gong Farmer

Post by THESENATE »

Bigger as in... Larger. The Alps are moutains. The Himalaya's are bigger moutains. Is that what you were asking about?
MOCpages username: Awesome-o-saurus
BrikWars username: THESENATE
wobnam
Master Liliputian
Master Liliputian

Post by wobnam »

The most amazing thing about Eragon is that the author was 19 when he finished it.
Matt BeDar
Archer

Post by Matt BeDar »

The most amazing thing about Eragon is how obvious it is that the author was 19 when he finished it. I'm sorry, but I found it to be a rather dull read. I thought the the story line was extremely predictable.

I really don't see much from Eragon in the new Castle series. I see more Tolkien and traditional myths and legends.
Dwarves shall conquer all!!!
[url=http://brickroleplaying.freeforums.org][img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Doodstorm ... banner.png[/img][/url]
wobnam
Master Liliputian
Master Liliputian

Post by wobnam »

Well, it would be rather impossible to create something you can describe as "generic fantasy", and not have obvious similarities to Tolkien.
Matt BeDar
Archer

Post by Matt BeDar »

True but he could at least have tried not to make the story line so predictable.
Dwarves shall conquer all!!!
[url=http://brickroleplaying.freeforums.org][img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Doodstorm ... banner.png[/img][/url]