How Many Dwarves Do You All Have?

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

I am really not much of an army builder. I think it is nice to have sufficeint men to do battle scenes or man the walls of some fortress but its not my thing.

I actually am not sure I am too keen on some of the new dwarves as they all looks so similar. All the 2008 line dwarves have the same colors and such. Because this I have been slowly modifying them. Mostly removing those huge beards and using other types of helmets on them. I have now 8 of them. I hope to get a few more as well. They are a neat faction but I got to find more variation so they do not look like a cookie cutter army. I do not mind with the old Classic castle soldiers as much as uniforms and the smiley faces are somewhat general but the amount of detail on the dwarves just looks odd ifntheynall are the same.

R
DaleDVM
Journeyman

Post by DaleDVM »

O.K. Lee that is absolutely no fair. You can't post just a 120+ and leave us hangin. Well you can... but I would love to know more. :wink: How did you aquire such large numbers? That is like 30 dwarf mines! :shock: On bricklink the new dwarves are going for about $6.00 each!

Unless many of them are of the custom type with old beards in the vein of the 10176 blacksmith. Inquiring minds want to know...
doc069
Bailiff

Post by doc069 »

DaleDVM wrote:O.K. Lee that is absolutely no fair. You can't post just a 120+ and leave us hangin. Well you can... but I would love to know more. :wink: How did you aquire such large numbers? That is like 30 dwarf mines! :shock: On bricklink the new dwarves are going for about $6.00 each!

Unless many of them are of the custom type with old beards in the vein of the 10176 blacksmith. Inquiring minds want to know...
I pieced them together with the new beards/helmets etc off of B.L. I just waited until some of the bigger stores bought a bunch of (I assume the mine) and swooped in to purchase the parts needed. I also keep an eye out for stores that are having sales and buy some extra stuff from them when the prices are right.

On average, it would work out to about $3ea.

If I scrounged together my older beards and long hair, I could probably throw together another 30 gray haired dwarves; however, I don't think I would have enough of the short legs to cover them.

Edit:
sorry, this was part of an early thread, but the store that I bought most of the parts from is: HELGE's sets & bricks - a great store, and where I have placed my largest order ever (which is saying something).

Lee
"Rules are for the obedience of fools. And the guidance of wise men (& women)." Sir David Ogilvy (1911-1999)
DaleDVM
Journeyman

Post by DaleDVM »

Wow Lee you did a great job of shopping. I have been looking to piece together dwarves for months and haven't gotten anywhwere close to an economical solution. It looks like you are buying up everything I want. :(

Once I get a beard, helmet, short legs, and a shield which I consider essential for my dwarves I have reached a cost of about $4.50. Then add torso, head, and a weapon and it is just nuts. At that rate I just might buy tons of Dwarf mines where the figs come out to be about 7.15 a piece if you include the trolls. Atleast you get all of the extra parts and gear that come with the set. I find the dwarf mine actually great for the parts it contains. I just wish that it came with enough shields for the dwarves and the trolls. It comes up one shy for each side.

I think I will eventually swell the ranks when/if the battle packs come out.
ELMAS
Apprentice

Post by ELMAS »

From the current sets I have 2x4 = 8 from dwarves mine, one from Orc Ship and mine defender.

I also have 10176 which has a dwarf blacksmith so if you count that then 11.
Sir-Boris
Laborer

Post by Sir-Boris »

I have 4 of the official dwarves, and I have about 150 custom dwarves I made a few years back. I'm looking forward to getting more of the official ones, but life keeps on getting in the way :)

-- Nate
Imagination is more important than knowledge, for knowledge is limited while imagination embraces the entire world.
- Albert Einstein
Sir Vincent
Steward

Post by Sir Vincent »

8 Dwarves' Mine
2 Dwarves' Mine Defender
1 Troll Warship

Someday I'm gonna have an advent calendar dwarf too! :D
MaceyWindu
Laborer

Post by MaceyWindu »

As of right now I have none :cry: . However by Saturday I believe I will have the Dwarves Mine Defender - bringing my grand total to the enormous number of one!
Lord Tyler II
Foot Soldier

Post by Lord Tyler II »

Lord Tyler II wrote:*sniff* Unfortunatly, I've got none. Although, I plan on getting a few once the 08 sets hit the US!
Finally I have one! The only one that comes with the Troll Warship...
jadden77
Serf

Post by jadden77 »

i have 12 dwarves. i did buy the Dwarf Mine Defender, but i switched their torsoes so i can use them elsewhere.

DaleDVM
The only difficulty I see in army building with this years sets are the dwarves come with the same beard and torso
Dwarf Mine Defender had 3 viking torsoes and 1 crowny torso.

i was lucky to have a few small legs kicking around (pun intended)
so i bought some dwarf helmets to increase my dwarf population.

i don't intend to get much more. I like variety, not huge armies.
Brick Builder
Peasant

Post by Brick Builder »

Count Blacktron wrote:I'm holding 38 Dwarf minifigures right now. I'm actually surprised how few 2008 sets actually have Dwarves. The Mine is the best set to stock up on for parts and Dwarves, but it's a costly way to get brown and black beards, shields and the wingless helms.
How does someone get 38 dwarves? :shock:
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

Brick Builder wrote:
Count Blacktron wrote:I'm holding 38 Dwarf minifigures right now. I'm actually surprised how few 2008 sets actually have Dwarves. The Mine is the best set to stock up on for parts and Dwarves, but it's a costly way to get brown and black beards, shields and the wingless helms.
How does someone get 38 dwarves? :shock:
Buy many, many Dwarf Mine sets. Good for parts, good for people. :wink:
MaceyWindu
Laborer

Post by MaceyWindu »

MaceyWindu wrote:As of right now I have none :cry: . However by Saturday I believe I will have the Dwarves Mine Defender - bringing my grand total to the enormous number of one!
Well, I didn't get the Mine Defender, I got the Mine. So I have four!
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light not our darkness that most frightens us."
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

I have 10-20 "official" dwarves. If I were to count the viking torsos plus older beard dwarves I made/assembled for my version of them when the Vikings first came out I would have around 40-60 rough estimate. We need newer torsos rather than the recycled Viking ones. Army building gets a little interesting after a while.
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
hulk hogan
Villein

Post by hulk hogan »

five at the moment