10 Tips To Win At Second-Hand Lego Hunting

Discussion of photography, editing and publishing techniques
castlebuilder100
Man-At-Arms

Post by castlebuilder100 »

Danielas wrote:WERE DO YOU LIVE!!!!!! Can i come over some time???? Whats the store called!!
Now why would I want someone else as competition? :wink:
castlebuilder100
Man-At-Arms

[quote="Peppermint Pig"]

Those are indeed some very good deals. Have you considered reselling them for a profit?quote]

No I haven't but I'll have to look into that.
Peppermint Pig
candied swine

Post by Peppermint Pig »

Don't think of it as competition. Keep what you want, and sell the rest to pay for your Lego buying habits.
castlebuilder100
Man-At-Arms

Peppermint Pig wrote:Don't think of it as competition. Keep what you want, and sell the rest to pay for your Lego buying habits.
What do you mean :?? I was saying that if I told someone where it was I would have competition in buying from the store. Besides I am pretty sure that this store only has one location.
Peppermint Pig
candied swine

Post by Peppermint Pig »

Then don't tell people where it is. Buy up the good deals and resell others with a slight markup to recoup costs.
The Phantom
Freeman

Post by The Phantom »

castlebuilder100 wrote:
Peppermint Pig wrote:Don't think of it as competition. Keep what you want, and sell the rest to pay for your Lego buying habits.
What do you mean :?? I was saying that if I told someone where it was I would have competition in buying from the store. Besides I am pretty sure that this store only has one location.

Let me guess... Tuesday Morning?
><>Ben<><
castlebuilder100
Man-At-Arms

The Phantom wrote:
castlebuilder100 wrote:

Let me guess... Tuesday Morning?

Umm....maybe :wink:. Yeah you are right. I dind't know that it had other locations. I have only seen one.

EDIT I just went on to theirwebsite and they have many locations. :oops: Sorry.
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

I've got some tips:

1. Don't Wake Up!

You would not believe how many times I stumble upon this amazing cache of LEGO in my dreams. Just last night, I bought 3 huge tubs of LEGO containing Black Monarch's castle, Forestman's River Fortress, and tons of other sets from that era. Then I woke up. :(

2. Mom

If you have a mom, aunt, or other local relative who goes to garage sales, ask her to keep an eye out for LEGO. My mother has called me on multiple occasions when she found LEGO at a garage sale, and I've gotten some amazing deals.

3. Get the word out

Tell people that you are looking for collections of old LEGO. Perhaps your sister will marry a guy with a LEGO collection. Perhaps your friend's cousin is trying to get rid of his LEGO. Maybe somebody will trade you their old LEGO collection for other services; web programming, for example. Trust me, these things happen. ;)

4. Call!

Many Craigslist sellers do not respond to e-mails. Some are lazy, others don't check it enough, and some believe a buyer isn't serious if they won't spend the money to call. If the seller has a number listed, call it! They can't ignore once you start talking at their head.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
The Phantom
Freeman

Post by The Phantom »

I didn't know either until that "Tuesday morning sale" thread poped up a couple months back.

I got a Batcave for $30 from the sale. :P I luv that store.
><>Ben<><
Luke the Warrior
Peasant

Post by Luke the Warrior »

Bricklink...Duh :P.
Starbucks is French for, You are paying to much for coffee.
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

Luke the Warrior wrote:Bricklink...Duh :P.
You need to articulate your thoughts better. Your statement is not clear. It is also bordering on the offensive. Are you responding to a particular comment or the thread as a whole?

If your comment is regarding the whole conversation, you are sadly mistaken. Bricklink is not the best place to buy second-hand Lego. It is a wonderful place to buy the particular pieces you need/want. But I have gotten much better deals from many of the sources mentioned in this thread.

Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
Attli35
Serf

Re: 10 Tips To Win At Second-Hand Lego Hunting

Post by Attli35 »

I once got 2 Vladek Dark Fortress, 3 Prison Caves, and 2 King's Siege All 50% off at local Train Club that decided to start dealing in bricks. They had a good selection in the beginning and then decided to get out of Lego. This was ttwo or three years ago. Went back to the store a week later and somebody bought the Bat crap all up :cry: .
www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Attli35