Storage Shelving Paintjob Project!

Discussion of photography, editing and publishing techniques
Peppermint Pig
candied swine

Storage Shelving Paintjob Project!

Post by Peppermint Pig »

More Lego related project eye candy!

Image Image

In the pursuit of a better Lego storage system, I came across a $5 metal shelving unit at my nearby Goodwill store. I had my mind on finding something like this and lucky for me I found EXACTLY what I wanted.

Unfortunately, there was a bit of rust and grime to take care of, which was fine with me: Out came the hose, and then the shelving unit was broken down. The rust was removed with steel wool, as best as could be done, and the paint-job was given a decent scrubbing. After using a little vinegar as a final cleaning agent, the shelves and supports were ready to be painted.

I picked up several cans of spray-paint to simplify the project and leave a smooth finish. After speaking with my brother, we agreed upon a glossy hunter green / yellow color scheme, which is reminiscent of Lego's latest color trends in Castle and Indiana Jones sets, as well as the plethora of dark green parts they've released lately. Plus it just looks darn spiffy! I initially wanted to do a traditional yellow shelf / red support scheme, but my brother rejected that as being 'too childish'.

The important thing about painting is to take your time. Buy 1 extra can of paint in addition to what you think you will need. Here, I only needed 1 can for each color (spray paint typically covers 25 sq feet per can). The paint I used required 10 minute intervals between coats, with an even application of strokes approximately 1 foot away from the surface. I used regular glossy krylon brand paint, and it did the trick for this job. Be sure to shake the can for 1 minute before you go to do any spray jobs.

After the painting was done, we let the parts sit overnight to cure/dry. For some jobs, you might want to wait a few days, but we had no problems re-assembling the shelving unit the very next day. It might be useful to photograph your furniture before you break it down, so you have some clue as to how to put it back together. :P

For those interested in trying this, I strongly recommend working outdoors in a well ventilated area, and latex gloves are recommended when sanding and spray-painting to prevent harming your hands or getting hard-to-remove color on yourself. Avoid painting on windy days and for gods sake don't breathe the fumes!!

Anyhow, we're quite pleased with the results, and look forward to finding more metal furniture to repaint and add to the setup.

Most of the sets you see here are actually empty, aside from the two Indiana Jones sets which haven't been opened yet. It's one step closer to a Lego store in our very own home. *glee*

Feedback/suggestions welcome.
Peppermint Pig
candied swine

Post by Peppermint Pig »

Update!

I'll try to make this short. Matching file cabinet ($5 used + paint supply costs ~$6). Steel Wool, Vinegar Clean, Rustoleum Enamel Spray Paint (2 Day full dry time per coat), clear coat for 'rough and tumble' surfaces, need better handle pair, added plastic feet to bottom. Holds important documents for serious confidential lego business! XD

Image Image

More to come???
Tedward
Squire

Post by Tedward »

Love the filing cabinet.