Chat (IRC)

Rules, Regulations, Announcements, Technical Issues, Etc.
wobnam
Master Liliputian
Master Liliputian

Chat (IRC)

Post by wobnam »

Anyone here use IRC?

I think moving CC Chat to IRC would be a good thing, perhaps even bring it back to life.

IRCers; what networks are you on? Maybe we could decide on one for CC Chat.
FirebenderDude2
Journeyman

Post by FirebenderDude2 »

What the heck is IRC?
Woe is me, woe is me, I used to have a hamster tree. Then it got eaten by a newt and now I have no cuddly fruit.
wobnam
Master Liliputian
Master Liliputian

Post by wobnam »

Internet Relay Chat. It's a chat/messaging protocol with clients for virtually any operating system, including many web clients. It's been around forever (well, since the late eighties, anyway) and is probably the closest thing there is to a "chat standard".
dragonblade24
Apprentice

Post by dragonblade24 »

I dont use it much. actually barely never :(
1. work!
2. work harder!
3. When all else fails.....BUILD LEGOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
we fly to victory!' said the dragon king.
Aliencat
Josh's Minion

Post by Aliencat »

Although I use IRC on a frequent basis I don't think moving the CC Chat there entirely would work for everyone.
Of course starting a Classic-Castle channel there couldn't do any harm, even if just to see if people would join, but I don't think actually moving the CC Chat there would be a good idea.
Between plotting to kill you all and chasing balls of yarn, I also build [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/30639040@N02/albums]MOCs[/url]

[img]http://stopthetrack.com/lego/embassy/alienambassadorpng.png[/img]
wobnam
Master Liliputian
Master Liliputian

Post by wobnam »

Why not, Aliencat?
Donut
Councilor

Post by Donut »

I don't see anything wrong with the current chat system so we should just stick with it. :)
LEGO --- Impossible is Nothing.
DNL
Master Builder
Master Builder

Post by DNL »

I don't see anything wrong with the current chat system so we should just stick with it.

The only problem is the brazilians... they are almost always there and speak brazilian to eachother. You could just ignore them, but it would be better without them. :wink:
wobnam
Master Liliputian
Master Liliputian

Post by wobnam »

The current chat is, no offense, rather bad. It's strictly web-based. There's no way of being notified of activity unless you actually have the window open. Half the times I log in, whoever was there instantly leaves because they closed the window instead of using the disconnect-function. The other half, the only people who are there are those brazilian e-mail people.
Bluesecrets
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order

Post by Bluesecrets »

It is all a matter of finding someone there at the right time. I've been in the chat quite a bit with lots of people. I think the chat is just fine as it is.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Any building, is good building. Build for the fun of it!
wobnam
Master Liliputian
Master Liliputian

Post by wobnam »

Setting up a web-client on the website that connects to IRC would pretty much leave the web-chat more or less the way it is. It would, however, greatly expand the possibilities for anyone using other clients, like mIRC, Trillian, ChatZilla (Firefox add-on), Pidgin, Miranda etc.
Saaz
Freeman

Post by Saaz »

I would be all for IRC-based chat, for the reasons wobnam gives - I'd rather use a different client. For me it seems too awkward leaving web chat open in a browser window all the time. I'd rather use a specialized chat client where I can have a little window off to the side or in the background. (And it'll beep if someone says my name. :))

Classic Space chat is IRC based, and I (and a lot of other people) keep a window open most of the day while at work. It's really nice, leads to kind of a "hanging out at the water cooler" atmosphere.
Prince Imdol
Master

Post by Prince Imdol »

I was thinking maybe posting this topic myself. IRC is better in a since, but I don't think it would solve the problem of an empty chatroom.

P.I
Thomas C.
"Sow a thought, reap an action;
Sow an action, reap a habit.
Sow a habit, reap a character.
Sow a character, reap a destiny"

"Don't let school interfere with your education."-Huckleberry Finn
Peppermint Pig
candied swine

Post by Peppermint Pig »

I support the idea of having IRC channel for Classic Castle... in fact, I'd really like it if there were several Lego IRC channels on a single server. so the community could get together more easily, hopping between different groups (like castle, space, etc).
Hob Took
Reeve

Post by Hob Took »

I don't know much about IRC, but if it makes it easier or more likely to find someone online then I'm all for it! I've logged in something like, it's got to be forty or so times, but no one is ever on (and yes I have tried at many different times of the day). Sometimes I'll see someone is logged in, but when I log in they aren't there anymore. Perhaps everyone just has a problem with me or something :) .

-Hob Took