What got you into Castles?

Discussion of topics concerning life in the middle ages around the world, including architecture, history, and warfare.
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

This thread is flirting with major off-topicness. If it continues, I will lock it.

Thank you,
Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
Donut
Councilor

Post by Donut »

I first started buying LEGO in 1995, my first set was a castle set (Royal Knight's Castle). I got the set at TRU, and I still remember standing in front of the set and pondering about the endless hours of fun I would have with it. I feel very fortunate to have started out my castle collection with such a large set (I had trouble carrying it as a seven year old). Anyways, shortly after that I received the Hemlock Stronghold at a dinner party. Fast forwarding a little bit, I bought the Night Lord's Castle for $20 at Walmart. It was at that time that I liked castle even more mostly because my collection mainly consisted of it. However I went through a dark age because of high school and I felt that I had outgrown LEGO. It was not until the spring semester of high school that I was brought back by an old friend. Through Bricklink and Ebay, I was able to collect some sets and minifigs that were before my time.
LEGO --- Impossible is Nothing.
castlebuilder100
Man-At-Arms

Post by castlebuilder100 »

Well I have always been very interested in castles and history. As a result castles have always been one of my favorite themes. Then a year or so back I found Brickmania. I thought it was amazing. Then I found Robert Carney's stuff which was even more amazing. Then this year I was finally drawn into the online community by the 2008 Battles Contest. Thank's Josh :D . I have been fueled on by the amazing works of builders like RebelRock and DARKspawn. I don't think I will ever leave.
castlestrike666
Laborer

Post by castlestrike666 »

I've always been fascinated by medieval life! When I've went on vacation to Austria or other countries, i've always wanted to visit a least one castle! :P
My first lego was also a pirate ship, and afterwards a castle, so finally I could create whatever I wanted, and all I could imagine..! When I was young I've played wars with the knights I had, but now it's actually to "build" not as much as to "play" ya know :wink:
Mid Knight
Peasant

Post by Mid Knight »

Actually, LEGO got me interested in the medieval period. The things I like about it are: Knights' armor looks really cool and castles are awesome. Well, it's true, but for a more serious answer: It's far enough back that it's a lot different. Shortly after the medieval period, with the invention of guns, the settling of America, etc. it is too similar to modern times. And before the middle ages was TOO... what's the word?... un-advanced, I guess. It is just that period that is long enough ago but not too long ago to be really different and really interesting. But LEGO is what first got me interested in the medieval period--seeing all of the awesome MOCs on BrickShelf like Greystone and Purple Hills!
Save lives. Go vegan.
Teherean
Steward

Post by Teherean »

My great interest in (early) medieval history plus the building enthousiasm of my uncle got me (and my nephew) into building castle. also, history is my favorite and best subject in school.
AFOL, Brony, Yeah... I am a child at heart!

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/t-est/LCC ... nfald2.jpg[/img]
CornLegoCorn
Freeman

Post by CornLegoCorn »

Lego got me into Castles. I always did prefer the idea of hacking people with swords than shooting w/ guns and dropping bombs. And all the amazing wars and battles throughout History, I also started to take an interest in the Vikings going to Newfoundland, Gothic architecture, and The Holy Roman Empire: Sacrum Romanum Imperium. The weapons :P of course. Halberd, Morning Star, and Swords mostly.
Lamenting is the opening to the world of night.
Torment
Villein

Post by Torment »

Well of course lego started it all when i got Dungeon Masters Castle at a yard sale for only $5 but missing 2 guys. :cry: ever since then I've been collecting, i think its the power to overpower the weak. If they had it you took it. now the weak carry guns and the tough carry bigger guns but nobody ever sees if the are physically stronger. If a man was held up in a room he could fight his way out, against overwhelming odds and have a chance, with a good old sword. now they throw in a grenade and you didn't even get to look your enemy in the eyes.
The idea to return to a simple time.
CastleLord
Reeve

Post by CastleLord »

Well i have always loved lego castle sets. Since my brother got one and that was when i was 4. And i am still buying them. :roll:
But my favorite empire is the Roman empire. :D
Last edited by CastleLord on Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CastleLord. The Lord of the castle.
TFOL and computer nerd. I do as I please and live life to the fullest!
Please visit:
and [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/castlelord/]My Flickr[/url]
legokilt
Bailiff

Post by legokilt »

I have always been interested in history, but what got me into castles was a book I read as a kid. I was fairly sick as a child and spent lots of time with my legos. After reading a book about a nobleman's child who survived the plaque an spent time in a mideval city and being educated by monks. The imagery was so cool that I immediately began looking further into the subject of the middle ages. I disremember the books title, I vaguely remember is being something like , "The door in the wall" or some such thing.
Lego helps make history fun!
Lightning
Gong Farmer

Post by Lightning »

I would say "ever since I was a kid"... but since I'm only thirteen (going onto fourteen), I cannot really say that. :lol:

I've always loved castles. They've always appealed to me. The thought of living in a medieval world and ruling from a throne and all that was quite interesting. I loved the idea for a long time. I like the idea of a time when trials were settled in duels, and all the battles took place with everyone running at eachother like mad instead of taking cover and shooting.

It seems to be awesome. That's all. It's cool.
-Lightning
Some call me Bolt.
Karalora
Journeyman

Post by Karalora »

You promise not to laugh?

It was probably Disneyland. When I was a kid, trips to that place were the highlights of any given year. And every time, I knew I was really there when I looked up and saw that gorgeous castle at the end of Main Street.
darcsied
Gong Farmer

Post by darcsied »

I've always like the time. My mother helped me build a castle out of a box and juice cans for my knights. My favorite movie was "Black Shield of Falsworth", even with all the errors. I guess that part of me never grew up.
I'm only visiting this planet.
Oh, that explains a lot.