Your favorite faction, and why?

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
timber_wolf899
Merchant

Post by timber_wolf899 »

i beg to differ. invasion pillage and conquest for your own inrichment are always wrong even if your civilians think its the coolest thing since sliced bread.

someone steals my TV and gives it toyou. you may think he's clever or brave to sneak past my gard dogs etc, but stealing is still wrong.

but this is a lego forum not noe on morality so........ : )

question, dark dragon's dem, worth the money?
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

Who says that the Dragon Masters invaded anything?

It's not like its written in stone, is it? :D

All in all the DM are neat in their own way. However I have not paid much attn to them as I am now busy building up my "Classic Castle" collection
David Girard
Journeyman

Post by David Girard »

My favorite faction is Black Falcon. It's was not the first faction I got however. My first set was 6080, King castle and after 6066, camouflaged outpost.

Since I seen the Black Falcon the first time, in 1989 (it was 6074, Black falcon Fortress), I like them very much. I was first charmed by the tudor wall piece, and I looked at this castle and said to myself: "Wow that's the niciest castle they done". After I looked at the minifigs and say. "Wow they are blue" (My favorite color). I started to economise my money and I finally buy this sets some months later. They sell this set again in 1989 (but it was about to finish).

At this moment I own already 6080 King Castle and 6085 Black Monarch Castle. And I said to myself. The poor Black Falcon are the less powerful. There castle is smaller and they are only 6 on their castle by comparison to 12 in each of the others. At this moment I didn't know existence of 6073 Knight Castle. Lions are very powerful, Falcons need more help.

As Jojo said
And they have been the less powerfull faction, and I always go with the underdog.
I'm totally agree with this. This is the main reason. This is why I like them much. But their blue color is another one reason. :wink:

Ah ! I think to another thing. The 6074 castle is the best castle to make a city. This is the third reason. I always like very much peasant. Falcons are friend of peasant. So falcons are my friends ! :lol:
Glencaer
Marquis d'Krakhed

Post by Glencaer »

It seems many people like the Falcons.

One of the things that draws me to them is that, like Jojo said they are underdogs, but they are also tough. They are the underdogs you still don't want to mess with.

Oddly enough, in my army the two largest groups are the Falcons and the Black Monarch's Men. Lions are fairly small group - but that's prolly because I didnt have 6080 growing up.

-Lenstu
===
"The sound of laughter is like
the vaulted dome of
a temple of happiness. "
~-Milan Kundera-~
Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

Devari:
Sorry DM, but the Dragon Masters aren't very popular on LUGNET. I don't particularly like the soldiers, but I do really like Majisto.
You missed the point of everything I said. I could care less what other people think of the DM.

Timberwolf:
i beg to differ. invasion pillage and conquest for your own inrichment are always wrong even if your civilians think its the coolest thing since sliced bread.

someone steals my TV and gives it toyou. you may think he's clever or brave to sneak past my gard dogs etc, but stealing is still wrong.

but this is a lego forum not noe on morality so........ : )

question, dark dragon's dem, worth the money?
Indeed this is a question of morals. But keep in mind, the Chinese refused to trade with the Mongols, thought of them as lesser people, and built the great wall, as a way to completly divide the peoples. Enough on that...

Dark Dragon's Den is worth the money. The 2 cloth flags and cape are great. It could have come with more figs, but it is a nice, medium set. For the price it is better than Fire Breathing fortress, in my opinion. indeed it is made of a lot of Burps, but it actually comes out looking nice. DM castles were supposed to look rocky and rugged. If you can find it new for $50 USD or less, you should buy it. You won't be sorry!

(Sorry if I have offended)

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
stuifzand
Archer

Post by stuifzand »

Forestmen.
Simply because I like the figs :D
If you're a Dutch legofan, visit [url=http://www.lowlug.nl]Lowlug[/url]!
CaptainAwesome
Gong Farmer

Post by CaptainAwesome »

It's fallen to somebody that you've never heard of to defend the Fright Knights. I've got an army of about 160 figures and over 100 of them are from this oft-neglected line. Sure, all the buildings, vehicles, and witches were terrible and embarrassing, but you can't deny the greatness of the dark grey studded torsos. The bat helmets aren't so hot, either, I suppose. Uh, I guess the best thing about FK is that they sold individual minifigs at gas stations a couple of years ago. I bought those things like, twenty at a time. Oh wait, isn't that one guy the first frowning minifig ever? That's gotta be worth something.
Belisarius
Serf

Re: Your favorite faction, and why?

Post by Belisarius »

Dragon Master wrote:What is your favorite offical lego faction, and why is it so.
I like Forest men because they come with lots of pieces for trees and other plants. I also like to abundance of archery and they have the coolest shield.
timber_wolf899
Merchant

Post by timber_wolf899 »

DM wrote

Indeed this is a question of morals. But keep in mind, the Chinese refused to trade with the Mongols, thought of them as lesser people, and built the great wall, as a way to completly divide the peoples. Enough on that...

aye but two wrongs dont make a right.

thanks for the advice on the Dark den. found one used for 26 and may go with it if i cant find a crusaders cart
Kev
Bailiff

my favs

Post by Kev »

#1 has to be the white & red maltese cross guys from 375 - they're the closest to my true dream line - true Hospitaller & Templar Crusders.

#2 Would be the guys from my first set and whose shield graces thei sites banner - the 677 procession guys

#3 Dark Forest. Everybody loves Robin Hood!

I'll throw this in, too, the different factions and building armies are one of my favorite parts of Lego Castle, and I wish Lego would put 4 or 5 new ones in its next Castle line, the way it did in 375, and not make just one obviously bad and one obviously good one.
timber_wolf899
Merchant

Post by timber_wolf899 »

I so hear you!
i told my gf i want a maltese cross pendant for christmas!

but those shields were stickers, no? so they can be reproduced easilly.
JPinoy
Knight Bannerett

Post by JPinoy »

Mongols were a nomadic people. Nomadic herders tend to invade agricultural civilizations. The walls were built to create a barrier against these raiders, as well as provide fast communication in the kingdoms.

There was never a single "Great Wall". Most of the walls you see in China was built during the Ming Dynasty period around the 1300s AFTER the Mongols had their nearly 200 rule in China. Other walls had existed built by other dynasties, and the smaller kingdoms that existed before the Chin dynasty as well as those small kingdoms that would pop up during periods when a dynasty falls and before a new dynasty re-unites China as one nation.

The Chinese DID trade with the Mongols and other steppe peoples that lived north of China. In fact it was because of their contact that they had access to Mongolian horses, learned cavalry tactics and etc. In fact the great wall also worked as a way of regulating trade routes from China to the steppes where the northern parts of the Silk Road is.
Peoples_General, master of the vast LEGO armies!
[url]http://www.bricklink.com/aboutMe.asp?u=Peoples_General[/url]
Behold! The mighty armies of my ORIGIN theme!
[url]http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... lesGeneral[/url]
Magnus
Artisan

fave factions

Post by Magnus »

Black Falcons all the way.

I always thought they were just the baddest and coolest looking faction. The BFF also is just visually so more exciting a castle than say, the King's Castle.
timber_wolf899
Merchant

Post by timber_wolf899 »

The blacksmith shop <dan siskind's> is a wonderful bit of design but i always thought it did not fit the scale of other official lego sets.

Its larger than the official inn<6067> and about as massive as the gatehouse of the kings castle. I'm thinking its more of a mannor house and will probably modify mine as such.

Also, were square glass windows used in that time period? I'm honestly not sure here so if someone could informe me i'd appreciate it

oh and HAPPy thanksgiving

love the article on the main page
Christopher McCleerey
Peasant

Post by Christopher McCleerey »

1st: Forest Men (Robin Hood, man!)
Very close, and all tied for 2nd: Wolfpack, Black Knights and the Falcons.

I actualy, in spite of some poor parts, also have a special place in my heart for the Dragon Masters. Majesto rekindled my intrest in Castle Legos at a time when I was more interested in LEGO Space.

Absolutly Last: Willa the Witch's Dragon Hot Air Ballon thing. Not to put down the whole of the Fright Knight line :roll: but that set succeded in pushing my, then shaky, lego faith into a full flegged dark age. I saw that and thought "That's it, LEGO realy is only for little kids." :shock:
Sad isn't it? :wink:
Also, were square glass windows used in that time period? I'm honestly not sure here so if someone could informe me i'd appreciate it
What period do you think the blacksmith shop is from? I know there was a good part of the Middle Ages when large amounts of glass were far too expensive for the common man(of course, a blacksmith has at least one up on the common man).

I second your question. Were largish square glass panes in use for houses back then?
A cartographer's end:
"Here be dragons!"