Growing Pains

LEGO gaming, including group role playing games
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Growing Pains

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

Fellow Gamers,

As you have undoubtedly noticed, there have been a lot of events that have shaken the foundations of the roleplay. However, I realize now the foundation was never built strongly in the first place.

When Nik first thought up the idea of a LEGO castle- themed roleplay, there were only ten or so people interested in playing. We all hashed out the rules together in an ongoing coversation, compromising and brainstorming while I pieced together a simple website hosted on LUGNET. When we started roleplaying, the rules were all understood by our having gone through the conversation above. I never guessed, and I'm sure neither did Nik, that the roleplay would become so popular. It did, however, and we were unprepared.

The rules that had worked fine for the few people who started up the roleplay were agreed-upon common knowledge, but such a situation is way too vague for newcomers. Rules that were followed by the oldtimers but never written down were unknowingly broken by newcomers; Oldtimers cried “Foul!”; whereas the newcomers replied “But I didn't break any rules!” Tempers flared and feelings were hurt.

Soon a compromise was reached and relations were repaired until the same thing happened again. And again. And again. The problem? The rules. The simple, but non-explicit, original rules. It's obvious the rules need a major rewrite, and fast. It has come to a point where the roleplay can barely function without explicit new rules. Nik and I will work up these rules as quickly as we can. In the meantime, I am going to delete all posts that have 'questionable and debatable' material (cannons, time travel, sentient monkeys, etc). Deleted posts will be saved by me and will be emailed back to the author for safe keeping. Once the expanded and explicit rules are posted, many of your questions will probably have been answered and these posts will become unnecessary.

Rest assured, a new and better C-C Roleplay will rise from the ashes!
Last edited by Lord_Of_The_LEGO on Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].
Daimyo
Squire

Post by Daimyo »

Nathan, if any of my posts have any questionable materials, please let me know, as not to ge tme frustrated please. :wink:
"Alright Kif, let's show these freaks what a bloated, runaway military budget can do"
Loneranger
Landlord

Post by Loneranger »

where the heck is nik thes days anyway? and I'm cool with this I was going to delete all my posts and leave. :( but I shall hold on a little more...

LR
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

Ok, I'm no Roleplayer, but I just want to say thanks for the heads up, and thanks in advance for the work going into new and better rules. The "out of hand" part was affecting more people than just the Roleplayers.
The Green Knight
Reeve

Post by The Green Knight »

We'll, can't say I didn't see this coming. Thanks for getting back to me on this Nathan. I'm sorry if I started this whole mess and I do think revising the rules is a good idea. Oh, and be sure to include a "No time travelers" rule. :wink: Am I disappointed? Yeah, but just a little. After all, if you don't draw the line here, where can you draw it?

BTW Mr. D You said:
The "out of hand" part was affecting more people than just the Roleplayers.
How is that? Not that it's important that I know or anything, I'm just curious.
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

Please don't let the sidetrack the topic, but I think it affects non-Roleplayers in two ways. One, it could keep people from joining the C-C.com community. I know that if I had seen people being called unkind names and the like (like some have been here) before I joined, I would not have joined. Second, (not so important, but...) it affects others simply by being here. Strife (not talking about orderly debate) usually leads to a stressful and bickering community, even if it was only a few at the beginning. I'm not asking anyone to agree with my, that's just my take on this subject.
The Green Knight
Reeve

Post by The Green Knight »

Ok Thanks Mr. D. Now back to the real topic.
the_great_one
Artisan

Post by the_great_one »

Ok. A few words.

this roleplay will have NO, non what ever, verbal abuse. This is a fun game. Not a fight.
I agree, it was affecting more than just the roleplayers, beacause there are people here at C-C, who only READ the roleplay and not participate.

So, forget about everything that has happened, no more "unkind remarks"!

:D

Nik
[url=http://www.google.com]Your Greatest Friend[/url]
Mr. D
Councilor

Post by Mr. D »

the_great_one wrote:Ok. A few words.

this roleplay will have NO, non what ever, verbal abuse. This is a fun game. Not a fight.
I agree, it was affecting more than just the roleplayers, because there are people here at C-C, who only READ the roleplay and not participate.

So, forget about everything that has happened, no more "unkind remarks"!

:D

Nik
I second you completely.
Lord_Of_The_LEGO
Earl of Wells

Post by Lord_Of_The_LEGO »

the_great_one wrote:Ok. A few words.

Let me add that any C-C Roleplay Member that verbally abuses anyone else will be banned from the C-C Roleplay and perhaps from the entire Classic-Castle Forum and Chat Room. This rule will be enforced.

and now back to roleplaying...
In the process of converting to [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanwells/]Flickr[/url].