Weekly Set Review: Knights' Catapult Defense

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Weekly Set Review: Knights' Catapult Defense

Post by architect »

Join the weekly Classic Castle set review discussion. Please post your opinions on the set play ability, piece selection, design, etc. Which sets stand up to our catapult of critique and which ones crumble in shame!

This week’s set is 7091 Knights' Catapult Defense.

Knights' Catapult Defense was released in 2007 for Castle. Two armed siege workers attack the two skeletons' wooden barricade with their boulder launching catapult. Various accessories such as spears, shields, a flail, a crossbow, and a sword are included.

Last edited by architect on Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
man at ye old well
Foot Soldier

Post by man at ye old well »

This is a really good set for bulking up on crownies with shields and skeletons. At only 12.99 can it is a good priced set. This is the only set I have ever bought 3 of. The catapult is cool but the barrier just seems to small but when you place 1 on each side of the skeleton tower it looks really good.

Over all 9/10 (still not as good as the black falcon catapult set #6030)I would suggest you buy this set if you don't have it yet.

,Old Weller
Drop the LEGO and nobody gets hurt!
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=ye-old-well]My Brickshelf[/url] [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/125743370@N02/]My Flickr[/url]
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

One of the great army builder sets of the Castle 2007 line, with two skellies and two Crownies.

The catapult is one of those ubiquitous catapults so endemic to LEGO's Castle themes, but unlike the vast majority, it is actually a rather pleasing design, and I certainly haven't minded bulking up my artillery with them. The fact that this set actually comes with three shields is also a bonus, and the inclusion of a skeleton horse is appreciated as well. Excellent value all around.

Parts: 8.5/10
Playability: 9/10
Figs/Accessories: 8.5/10
Design (contemporary): 8/10
Design (universal): 8.5/10
Nostalgia: 8/10

Overall Score: 8.42/10 (B+)
castlebuilder100
Man-At-Arms

Post by castlebuilder100 »

I got three of this set. The main reason was because of the four figs. The big half barrels and the 4 round 4x4 bricks were nice too.

9/10
Sir Dano
Village Idiot
Village Idiot

Post by Sir Dano »

Having purchased five of these, I give it 9.5 out of 10.
Last edited by Sir Dano on Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Hmm what to say.

Well for pieces, its passable. Worth the money I think. Certainly the figs and their accessories come in proper amounts, including the inclusion of a shield for every fig. The black studless plates are always useful.

Design? Eh, considering that Lego has to make these sets appeal to little kids, as well as "us", they did an okay job. The catapult does what all little kids seem to like, but it actually shoots a decent sized rock. It's design is much more, well not realistic, but certainly more believable. It actually looks like it could hold that rock. As opposed to certain sets where the catapult is strapped to the side of a horse.

For the price it's at, I would say this is worth it. I certainly have no big qualms about mine.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Elephant Knight
CC Spriggan
CC Spriggan

Post by Elephant Knight »

I bought two of these. I haven't regretted it. Best set of the three small sets. Four figs and four shields is great. Espescially considering nowadays.

The playability is awsome. not much else here.

For parts, this is pretty good. Tiles, plates, technic peices, even a few bricks. And there are a lot of variety in the weapons. There are,

Three spears
One sword
One flail
One crossbow
Two Crown shields
Two skellie shields

Not bad.

EKnight
It's not what you say it's how you say it.

Flickr, Colour it Blacktron, A Pirate's Life
burkey42
Freeman

Post by burkey42 »

I bought five of these sets - four for 'go' one for 'show'(keeping boxed.) Great set from a bricks, army building and price perspective.
Burkey rating: 9/10
Castle Lego is my drug of choice.
ELMAS
Apprentice

Post by ELMAS »

Cant complain much about this. Good price/minifig ratio an all figs have weapons/shields.

Wish they did a similar set with Dwarves and Orcs.
castlebuilder100
Man-At-Arms

Post by castlebuilder100 »

ELMAS wrote:Wish they did a similar set with Dwarves and Orcs.
Well, the Mine Defender is very similar except it only has three figs.
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

This is a good set. The catapult has a pleasing design and is brick-built rather than coming with this boring catapult-arm-prefab-piece. It's unlikely, though, a real movable catapult would have a turntable. Anyway.
The barrier has an interesting design as well.

Bye
Jojo
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

It's a nice set. No figures without shields. Stout catapult. I know I have at least three, I might pick up some more to suppliment my Crown Knight army. Very cool set and I'm glad I purchased it. :)
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
hulk hogan
Villein

Post by hulk hogan »

I built the Catapult, but didnt bother with the Skeleton Defensive thing. Great figures.

Oh I'm using the poeace for a skeeton castle of mine.

7/10
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

This is a pretty good set. I don't like the technic-bar construction of the catapult arm, but its better than the standard catapult piece.

Its also nice that it comes with shields for all the men. And the barracade is also good for a battle scene, even if its going to get whomped by that boulder...

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
Ben the lego king
Apprentice

Post by Ben the lego king »

finally a set that I have :D . I only have one but it is a good set. One of my favorite sets of the CASTLE line. (or as B.L. calls it, Fantasy Era.) Nice for the figs and the parts. I shode get more but sadly I don't have a much money to spend :cry: . oh well :?
KKI is the best KKI is the best