What are you hoping for in the Elf Sets?

Open message to The LEGO Company. We make no guarantee that anyone from LEGO will actually read them, let alone respond!
man at ye old well
Foot Soldier

Post by man at ye old well »

Elfs, What else would I want in an elf set.

All joking aside, I would like to see forestmen themed sets with lots of trees and cool elf figs that are yellow not fleshies. Because if a non licensed set has a fleshie in it. Than it would spread to all the other themes and there wouldn't be any more yellow minifigs :shock: So lets just stick to yellow figs for the elves.

,Old Weller
Drop the LEGO and nobody gets hurt!
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=ye-old-well]My Brickshelf[/url] [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/125743370@N02/]My Flickr[/url]
Damien
Grammer Guru

Post by Damien »

Dwarves are short, orcs are green, elves are fleshie. It seems like a natural step for me.
Not a natural step at all. Orcs are green because they have a completely inhuman skin tone. In non-licensed LEGO universe, ALL human skintones are represented with yellow. LEGO people have no inherent real-world ethnicity. That's, in my opinion, one of the things that made LEGO such a great toy.

Making the Elves fleshie does one of two things:

1.) Implies that Elves do not have a 'human-like' skin colour, as fleshie would be abnormal in the regular LEGO themes, since everyone is yellow-skinned. Everyone.

2.) Introduces the concept of human-type beings having different skin colours. This opens so many horrible doors that should have remained closed. Those doors may have been opened for LEGO's licensed sets, but I will outright stop buying LEGO product if they make the miserable mistake of allowing skin tones to creep into non-licensed sets.

Again, Elves aren't 'aliens' (in that manner, at least) or inhuman (ditto). Orc/Trolls certainly are. They're monsters - hence the different colour used to represent their skin. But humans in real life are 'flesh-tone.' So are most concepts of fantasy Elves. Thus, the actual 'natural step' is that if Elves are flesh-tone, humans must be too. See above.

No Fleshy in Castle. Love or hate the fleshtones, they were a mistake on more than just 'incompatibility' or 'personal likes and dislikes' grounds, and never should have happened. Let's not hope for LEGO doing anything so stupid as to expand their use outside the abyss they've created of their licensed sets.
Forge not works of art but swords of death, for therein lies great art.
"The Gods made heavy metal and they saw that it was good." - Manowar
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Damien wrote:
Dwarves are short, orcs are green, elves are fleshie. It seems like a natural step for me.
Not a natural step at all. Orcs are green because they have a completely inhuman skin tone. In non-licensed LEGO universe, ALL human skintones are represented with yellow. LEGO people have no inherent real-world ethnicity. That's, in my opinion, one of the things that made LEGO such a great toy.

1.) Implies that Elves do not have a 'human-like' skin colour, as fleshie would be abnormal in the regular LEGO themes, since everyone is yellow-skinned. Everyone.

2.) Introduces the concept of human-type beings having different skin colours. This opens so many horrible doors that should have remained closed. Those doors may have been opened for LEGO's licensed sets, but I will outright stop buying LEGO product if they make the miserable mistake of allowing skin tones to creep into non-licensed sets.

Again, Elves aren't 'aliens' (in that manner, at least) or inhuman (ditto). Orc/Trolls certainly are. They're monsters - hence the different colour used to represent their skin. But humans in real life are 'flesh-tone.' So are most concepts of fantasy Elves. Thus, the actual 'natural step' is that if Elves are flesh-tone, humans must be too. See above.

No Fleshy in Castle. Love or hate the fleshtones, they were a mistake on more than just 'incompatibility' or 'personal likes and dislikes' grounds, and never should have happened. Let's not hope for LEGO doing anything so stupid as to expand their use outside the abyss they've created of their licensed sets.
I must say. Those were the words that I needed to say, knew I needed to say, but couldn't find. Well put. Very well put.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
MaceyWindu
Laborer

Post by MaceyWindu »

I hope the sets are very earthy and woody. I think we probably wiil get a new helmet design because like Munchy said, everyone else has. The Crownies and Skellies got updated colors, and the Dwarves and Orcs got new molds entirely.
Plus, if you look at this picture it shows the Elfs with new helmets. Hopefully the helmets they have will look exactly like this and we will get the Indy bag quiver as shown too.
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light not our darkness that most frightens us."
Donut
Councilor

Post by Donut »

I just hope the elf shields won't be like the one in the picture. I for some reason don't really like it, it looks kind of plain and stereotypical. Not all elves have to be archers.
LEGO --- Impossible is Nothing.
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

Donut wrote:I just hope the elf shields won't be like the one in the picture. I for some reason don't really like it, it looks kind of plain and stereotypical. Not all elves have to be archers.
It would be nice if they revamped the Stag coat-of-arms from the Forestmen design. :) It would be nice to have another link to the older sets.

Not all elves have to be archers, yes. They can be Wizards, Druids, spearmen, swordsmen whatever you want, this is LEGO of course. 8)
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
Voran_the_Scholar
Landlord

Post by Voran_the_Scholar »

Robin Hood wrote:
Damien wrote:

I must say. Those were the words that I needed to say, knew I needed to say, but couldn't find. Well put. Very well put.

Dan :wink:
I second that notion!

If you want fleshie elves, just BL a bunch of fleshie stuff. Or ask around. I know I would freely give away my fleshie stuff. (assuming I had any to begin with. :wink: )

God bless.

Tom
May the blessing of the Lord be upon you. <><

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/voran/]Flickr[/url]
MaceyWindu
Laborer

Post by MaceyWindu »

Tower of Iron Will wrote:
Donut wrote:I just hope the elf shields won't be like the one in the picture. I for some reason don't really like it, it looks kind of plain and stereotypical. Not all elves have to be archers.
It would be nice if they revamped the Stag coat-of-arms from the Forestmen design. :) It would be nice to have another link to the older sets.

Not all elves have to be archers, yes. They can be Wizards, Druids, spearmen, swordsmen whatever you want, this is LEGO of course. 8)
-Tower
I actually like the shields but I do agree that they're stereotypical, however I do hope they are round ones.
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light not our darkness that most frightens us."
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

I was hoping the indy bag was a hip quiver actually. I wonder when we will get our first peek at the 2009 sets?

R
WARork
Apprentice

Post by WARork »

Heir of Black Falcon wrote:I was hoping the indy bag was a hip quiver actually. I wonder when we will get our first peek at the 2009 sets?

R
i dont know :cry:
ihope before they are in stores :roll:
Umm, later. http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=WARork it's it's.. full of junk!:D

''mah orcs are owks!''
MaceyWindu
Laborer

Post by MaceyWindu »

MaceyWindu wrote:
Tower of Iron Will wrote:

-Tower
I actually like the shields but I do agree that they're stereotypical, however I do hope they are round ones.
Actually, now that I think about it I hope that most of the Elves are archers because that will help us get more bows and quivers. We can always give some bows to the Crownies, Orcs and Dwarves.
Munchy
Foot Soldier

Post by Munchy »

Considering that we've only seen crossbows till this point, I'm thinking that the elves will have plenty of bows. I'm not too enamoured with the bow insignia for the shields either. I think a green tree on a brown background would be great.
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

The beautiful thing about that elf design is that the figure could easily pass off as a simple archer satisfying fans of both fantasy and traditional medieval fare. For me, the biggest selling point will be how universal the figures and pieces are. Simply put, I love figures that can be used for a variety of purposes. For a long time, jedi garb made for excellent medieval wardrobe. I'm hoping that the elves have torsos that are similarly adaptable.

The other thing I want is dark brown and lots of it. The dark colours are incredibly dramatic and I would love the chance to build up a substantial collection of different browns for landscaping and furniture. I'm really looking forward to seeing what LEGO does with this one.
Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch Batman!!

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... ueandwhite]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwflickrc ... eandwhite/]My Flickr[/url]
Voran_the_Scholar
Landlord

Post by Voran_the_Scholar »

Blueandwhite wrote:
The other thing I want is dark brown and lots of it. The dark colours are incredibly dramatic and I would love the chance to build up a substantial collection of different browns for landscaping and furniture. I'm really looking forward to seeing what LEGO does with this one.
Considering that, so far, all the factions have been shown in their stereotypically natural environments (except the Orcs/trolls, I guess), then we should we seeing lots of tree-colored stuff.

What I hope for is a sort of suspended tree village with rope bridges connecting all the trees. That could open up some great customization options right off the bat. :)

God bless.

Tom
May the blessing of the Lord be upon you. <><

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/voran/]Flickr[/url]
MoonCheese
Freeman

Post by MoonCheese »

I'd like the line to include a lot of nature and forest things...remember the brick-built trees of the Forestmen theme? Too bad I only had (I think) one set from Forestmen. Homes and structures up in the trees would be really cool. Hopefully, the elf sets would also be a good source for green and brown bricks (two colours I'm deficient in).