Weekly Set Review: Castle Mini-Figures

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
TheOrk
Master

Post by TheOrk »

Wow.................................................................10000000000000/10
TwoTonic Knight
TwoTonic of Many Colors

Post by TwoTonic Knight »

Gotta mark it down for offering three duplicate figures. Better to have four or five unique figures and let us decide if we want to buy multiples of the same pack. If it were a perfect world (or I was a Playmobil collector), this would be split into two packs, each visored knight having a barded mount and two foot soldiers.

Part of the atrtraction of these figures are that they are rare - the old style visor would get truly old real fast if it was common. But the simple and more accurate heraldry has a certain charm, and any minifig pack nowadays would be welcome.

9/10
Redwine the Ribald: Stare long enough into the abyss...
Two-Tonic Tippler: ...and you spit into it.

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/corsair/C ... ippler.jpg[/img]
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Its perfect. Nothing more need be said.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Lego_Fanatic
Gong Farmer

Post by Lego_Fanatic »

nice set~

I have 2 or 3 of those castle figs on the right but wish I had those shields to complete the scene!

9.9/10 .. they should make that Megablocks now adays -_-
What I thought this was then, I think it is now.
Jyp
Peasant

Post by Jyp »

Unfortunately, with duplicates of each fig in this pack, it would get redundant very quickly if purchased in multiples. More variety would be nice.
I agree with Rogue.
I would have seen one soldier with one knight (like in the #375 set) of the three colors, rather than three twin minifigs.
And a horse or the very small other accessory (a small cart? other weapon?) would have been welcome: it makes the set a little 'cheap'. OK for an army, but it would be strange without horse for the knights!

But I love the design of these minifigs, one of my favorite (and the #383 tournament set was my first castle one!)...
LusiferSam
Peasant

Post by LusiferSam »

I first found out about this set when I rediscovered an '84 parents guide in the mid 90's. From the first moment I saw I knew that there was something fundamentally different about these figures. The visor is what really stood out to me. And the shields, the pattern was so different. Some how more real than the more cartoonish shields I was use to.

Over all I think this is a great set. The mini figure selection could have been better. Two blue/white knights and two red/black knights? Why not two more foot soldiers? But seeing is how there's no way TLC would put out a set as cool 15 today I won't complain to loudly.

And a final thought, until I see a sealed example I really don't trust any color combination.
Merlin of Lego
Apprentice

Post by Merlin of Lego »

I think that the set is great although I liked some of the other minifig packs of the era more. I love swords and some of theh other sets had a higher sword to person count. That said if this came out now I would buy more that I have money to buy.
LORD DOOM
Master of Brickwankery

Post by LORD DOOM »

As of this time I am yet unable to obtain an MISB copy of this set at a price I can justify affording. Perhaps I always will be.

I have never owned this minifig set and it pains me deeply.
Templar Jesse
Gong Farmer

Post by Templar Jesse »

If only they would make a set like this today...like they made the star wars battle packs...i wouldnt want any vehicles, just lots of minifigs

10/10
"God Wills It"
Aliencat
Josh's Minion

Post by Aliencat »

Templar Jesse wrote:If only they would make a set like this today...like they made the star wars battle packs...i wouldnt want any vehicles, just lots of minifigs
What you're looking for is this and this.
Between plotting to kill you all and chasing balls of yarn, I also build [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/30639040@N02/albums]MOCs[/url]

[img]http://stopthetrack.com/lego/embassy/alienambassadorpng.png[/img]
legobear
Villein

Post by legobear »

Having to pay $7.99 simply because I wanted the "knight" or general in the final joust was not cool. Having to pay $12.99 for one general again in the battle pack was not cool either. I don't know what any of you are complaining about here, where in the world could you get 4 of the best looking knights all in one set (except the tic tac toe set that was discontinued)? This set is amazing and will never be repeated in Lego history because Lego is not stupid enough to sell you all 4 knights in one pack anymore, it's simply not business smart. The complaints are valid to those that rather see some "real sets" with bricks but for Minifig lovers like me (I love sets as well) I really really really appreciate sets like this, something that won't ever happen again...........ever! You guys gotta separate the fact that it is called a Minifig Pack....
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

LORD DOOM wrote:As of this time I am yet unable to obtain an MISB copy of this set at a price I can justify affording. Perhaps I always will be.

I have never owned this minifig set and it pains me deeply.
To my knowledge only one Classic-Castle.com member owns an original copy of this set. I was outbid on the auction several years ago. The original owner claimed to have purchased the accessory pack in the early 80's. It likely did not have special packaging or a box. Of course many collectors have assembled copies of this set for themselves.

Ben
dragonblade24
Apprentice

Post by dragonblade24 »

i like this set it comes with a good amount of minifigs and i like the design of there armour. I own 3 of these knights i got them from my dad he didn't want them anymore.
1. work!
2. work harder!
3. When all else fails.....BUILD LEGOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
we fly to victory!' said the dragon king.
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

This set came out not long after the start of my dark age. Sad, because I would have loved to get this set in multiples. Back then I was fifteen and had no easy way to the mall to buy them. Its hard to rate this set on a 1 to 10 scale because to me to have this set back then (or now) would have been priceless. Long live the "Golden Age!"
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
Crusader
Peasant

Post by Crusader »

It certainly wasn't widely available back in the day. I had the 375 Castle, The Knight's Procession & the Knights Joust. Which was as far I knew all there was to be had. The figs are near identical to those of the smaller sets and they were excellent for the time.

The visors were cool (some ended up on my spacemen too). The pointed helmets were great and the swords were wonderful. Thank goodness Lego brought the sword back in today's sets.

The shields here are better than the 375 Castle's as they were printed whereas the 375 Castle were stickers.

So while I never had this set I can attest that the figs were pretty cool.
"He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative." - G.K.Chesterton