MOC: Black Falcon's Outpost

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
David Simmons
Serf

MOC: Black Falcon's Outpost

Post by David Simmons »

Hey all,

First, many thanks to Tony for helping me get back on the boards! I don't build castle stuff very frequently, but when I do it sure takes up a LOT of room!

With that in mind, I present to you the Black Falcon's Outpost:

http://www.davidglennsimmons.com/archiv ... utpost.htm

It's nothing special, just a building exercise really, but I hope you enjoy it!

Dave S.

UPDATE: links have been corrected since my website has been retired and moved.
Last edited by David Simmons on Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There is no end, no beginning. There is only the infinite passion of life." -Federico Fellini
I Scream Clone
Peasant

Post by I Scream Clone »

Wow! and what a building exercise it is!
Thank you so much for sharing the whole process with us. You have opened my eyes on how to approach such a mammoth build (for me anyway) I haven't attempted a full blown castle yet, so in future I will look back on some of your pics for inspiration.
Cheers
Brick Builder
Peasant

Post by Brick Builder »

Now I don't have to go buy doors from bricklink. Because I've got heaps of the things you've used.Yay I love it.
Muskey15
Journeyman

Post by Muskey15 »

Woah! This has got to be one of the best castle MOCs I've ever seen! Now building castles seem much easier, since I have most of the pieces you used!
Also: Those are good supervisors. :wink:

-Muskey
Last edited by Muskey15 on Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~His Lowness Seamus O'Callaghan of Lenfald~

"You call this archaeology?"

Lenfels ASSEMBLE!
Gomur
Apprentice

Post by Gomur »

Very impressive in the detail and scale. I liked the interior shots in particular and the staircases were great.

But mostly I drooled over the huge wall-o-parts behind the pics. I have just one big bin with pieces separated in baggies, and not nearly enough to make something of that scale, but hey, my kid is getting older...

Not that you needed any suggestions because you're clearly way ahead of me in this sort of thing, but a bit more "used" or "lived in" detail would have made this even more impressive.
David Simmons
Serf

Post by David Simmons »

Thanks very much, I Scream!

The modular approach is not as much of a time saver, but it does enable you to make changes MUCH easier! Without that, I probably would never have finished this!

Dave S.
"There is no end, no beginning. There is only the infinite passion of life." -Federico Fellini
David Simmons
Serf

Post by David Simmons »

Many thanks, Gomur!

I agree it could use some vegetation and a more worn & beat-up quality, but that would require me having the space to keep this beast permanently assembled. Unfortunately, I just don't have the space at the moment.

My next project will definitely be on a smaller scale so I will have the time to tinker with atmospheric details.

Dave S.
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

That is some outpost!!! I like the details you made and the fact it is modular. I like the use of the HP wall segments.

Nice work.

R
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
draugaer
Apprentice

Post by draugaer »

Thats a fantastic castle you built there. Its got some great details (the I especially liked the armories). I also respect how well you used the large "junorized" pieces.

I think my favorite part was the small door you added in the main gates. Its a pretty comon feature in real castles, but I think this is the first time I've seen that detail in a moc.

It would be great to see additional modules built for this. For example: you could build a mill, blacksmith, or maybe even a large keep. Then you could play around with the sections to make anything from a small border-fort to a full blown citadel.

btw, I visted your site and I really enjoyed your other mocs as well. That zombietron cruiser is awesome 8)
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

Not only did you make a great castle, the explainations are awesome as well. You are too modest calling this "nothing special." Thanks for coming back to the site.
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
CornLegoCorn
Freeman

Post by CornLegoCorn »

:shock:

This is made by a human? I'll say flat out I do NOT have the attention span do make something like that.
Lamenting is the opening to the world of night.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

The playability in this castle is awesome. There's lots of great MOCs that come across this forum, but few of them have made me want one as badly as this. The fact that you've done it with all those big Harry Potter pieces is extra-impressive.
FirebenderDude2
Journeyman

Post by FirebenderDude2 »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

HOLY...... This is THE BEST MOC I've seen since SavatheAggies Ulmaris!

EDIT: Scratch that, I feel like I'm looking at the creation of a GOD!
Woe is me, woe is me, I used to have a hamster tree. Then it got eaten by a newt and now I have no cuddly fruit.
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

If I drooled so bad it leached into the internet and broke your website, would consider that a bad thing? Seriously, this castle rocks! For such seemingly big and clumsy pieces, you have pulled off a truely great MOC. As has been said, the playability of this blows my socks off. It truely is hard to find a quaility castle, of both the size and detail of this, and still have it easy accessible by a handheld minifig. The one thing that catches my eye more than most is the small door within the large one. Not only is it cleverly built and nicely hidden, but it is something most castles seem to lack. All in all, a very drool worthy MOC.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
David Simmons
Serf

Many, many thanks for all the positive feedback!

Post by David Simmons »

Hey all,

I'm completely bowled over by all the comments about my MOC. I really didn't think that it would be so well received with all the other amazing castle MOC's I've seen over the years.

Even though I don't build many castle-related projects, I will definitely make a point of participating in such friendly and welcoming forums!

Thanks very much again to you all, Huzzah!

Dave S.