Weekly Set Review: Bat Lord

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

ottoatm wrote:
Bats on dragons? No. No, no, no, no, no! Sorry, all Dragons are immediately taken from Bats and Bulls and given to the Dragon Masters.
I agree - and I do the same thing - dragons go to dragon masters. Still, for what it is, this is not a bad little set for figs and dragons (if thats what you want).
7/10
Nice easy way to get a dragon and a figure. I agree to puttting things right and have the dragon go to the Dragon factions and the knight to the Bat Lords. The Bat Lord's staff is simple and cool; I like it. The chrome two handed sword was useless as I rarely use them (don't like the chrome flaking off on the handle).

9/10.
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
sidewinderl
Laborer

Post by sidewinderl »

To me the set really doesn't stand out...which, in a way, is a good thing, since it isn't controversial like other FK sets, but it isn't that great either. Imagine if the set had a horse with a FK barding instead of the dragon...

The dragon is ok...but you don't usually want more than a couple. The bat lord himself is decent. The bat staff thing is pretty useless, but I like the rest of the accessories (helm, chrome greatsword, cape). I'm not a fan of the torso, though, but it can still be used somewhere. The basil face is kinda crappy, but it does work with the helm. The legs are definitely useful for Castle figs.
CastleLord
Reeve

Post by CastleLord »

Don't own it but i would give it a 6/10. :D

CastleLord.
CastleLord. The Lord of the castle.
TFOL and computer nerd. I do as I please and live life to the fullest!
Please visit:
and [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/castlelord/]My Flickr[/url]
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

Had I been collecting at the time, I would have bought a few of these for the dragon. As a set, however, it's absolutely awful.

Bat-wand? *shakes head*
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Norro
Councilor

Re: Weekly Set Review: Bat Lord

Post by Norro »

architect wrote:with a magic bat wand
It had to be the most notable part of the set... Lego's only(?) scepter. Other than that I agree with Josh about the torso's uses for poorer noble or middle class figs, I generally use it for well to do merchants.

God Bless,

Nathan
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Norro wrote:
It had to be the most notable part of the set... Lego's only(?) scepter
One other set has a scepter: http://www.classic-castle.com/sets/archives/2586.html

Ben
CVfan13
Foot Soldier

Post by CVfan13 »

I just purchased this, Bat Lord's Catapult, and Witch's Magic Manor, all complete in box, for about $50 (yeah, the Fright Knights-loving Lego geek I am. :P) on Bricklink. I only ordered yesterday, so I obviously don't have them yet. I can't wait though. Anyway, this set is great. A cheap, easy way to get a Bat Lord fig and a Dragon. My only complaint is the lack of uniqueness: this set is essentially included with Traitor Transport and Night Lord's Castle. I think it would have been better had they combined this with Fright Force and made the awesome army builder it was into a bigger pack. I give it an 8/10.
Brikbud
Serf

Post by Brikbud »

Hmmm... what can I say?
It's a dragon and a Bat Lord (I'm not a big fan of either).
I guess it's an ok set, especially because you can get it for $5 or less.

5/10

Stephen
Norro
Councilor

Post by Norro »

architect wrote:
Norro wrote:
It had to be the most notable part of the set... Lego's only(?) scepter
One other set has a scepter: http://www.classic-castle.com/sets/archives/2586.html

Ben
Dang, I should have remembered that one...

Cheers and God Bless,

Nathan
Teherean
Steward

Post by Teherean »

There's stuf I like and don't like on this one. the dragon is pretty much useless if you don't build fantasy. The sceptre is a nice one though, as the transparant red pole has more uses.
The bat lord's helmet is an awesome helmet if you try it on helbardiers, especially with a falcon torso :)
AFOL, Brony, Yeah... I am a child at heart!

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/t-est/LCC ... nfald2.jpg[/img]
Bandit
Laborer

Post by Bandit »

I really like those black dragons better than the new-age dragons and the green DM dragons! And, Batlord helmets are pretty cool.
Question: Why do we drive in PARKways and park in DRIVEways?
Coatsy
Laborer

Post by Coatsy »

Whew! Not much love in the house for Basil the Frowny Bat Lord and his trust steed... I mean dragon.

Pros:
~ Love the black dragon
~ Basil's toros is great
~ The chrome sword is mighty and should not be shunned! Every army needs the one goober with the giant sword running around.
~ The set was CHEAP to pick up back in the day! I'd go by the local TRU and pick up a few every chance I got.

Cons:
~ The bat scepter. It fell apart very easily and I lost El Bat-O quite easily.
~ The Bat-Hem. Although I have come to like it sort of like an ugly dog that is so ugly its cute, I was initally not to fond of it. Hey it hid Basil's ugly mug.

To sum it up, I wanted more dragons after the Dragon Master line, the Fright Knights helped this out and BAM! I've got my Dragon Air Froce.

I actually miss the old dragons since the Crownies have the larger ones.
Herb Coats

"Chimichanga!"
darkstarsk8er327
Villein

Post by darkstarsk8er327 »

i dont know why but i only have the dragon master. hes pretty kool. great army builder
Crazylegoman
Bailiff

Post by Crazylegoman »

I remember seeing this set when it first came out and really liking the idea of a cheap little set that included a black dragon. I bought one at full price ($4 or $5 I think) and then hoped that I could find some on clearance some day. My patience paid off; one day I saw them in Target on clearance for $1.90 each, and I bought 5 more.

Back when this set came out, silver swords were pretty new, so that was a plus. (The #1 plus for me being the black dragon in the set.) The winged helmet is sort of weird, but very unique. The torso isn't bad either.

David
♪ "Whether I'm the last one alive, or ascend before my time
Better I'm the last one alive, than a soul denied" ♫ —Demon Hunter
Lord Brian
Serf

Post by Lord Brian »

Not much in the set, but hey, cool dragon and longsword. True, a bat riding a dragon is indeed a bit odd...
"Only with the spirit of his ancestors and the might of the Sacred Blade could he emerge victorious."