Fan Feedback and the LEGO Ambassador Program

Open message to The LEGO Company. We make no guarantee that anyone from LEGO will actually read them, let alone respond!
Metatron
Villein

Post by Metatron »

I'm surprised at the negativity, Oh Great Ambassador!

There's a seller on Bricklink that sells official elements in colors that do not officially exist - I have several examples of such. I can imagine several methods of acquiring such elements in quantity, even methods not fully above board. The same way that someone might acquire flame elements, but with slightly more purpose behind the procedure.

Given that such things obviously occur, why can't Lego make the special effort for us?

They obviously have the molds. The molds are used for sets currently or very recently in production. All they have to do is mix the colors and make a few runs for us - they could start small and see how they sell.

I realize you cannot promise anything. But this one seems like a perfectly reasonable request. Autumn colored foliage would really make those MOCs at Lego fan conventions pop. It would create enormous good will among adult fans of the product and be great free publicity at shows.

Everybody wins.

They really should be doing things like this. The same way they do PAB. Bulk foliage in multi-colors. However they want to do it...
Hast thou given the horse strength and clothed his neck with thunder? He paweth in the valley, and rejoiceth in his strength. He swalloweth the ground with fierceness and rage. He saith among the trumpets, Ha, ha; and he smelleth the battle afar off...
Quickblade22
22 times da man

Post by Quickblade22 »

Good ideas Karalora. I like the mixed pink/white combo.

Meta-whatever, where do you see the negativity in DARKspawns post? Aaron and I are friends. We've discussed this before and it was a nod to me in acknowledgement. Don't try to get this thread locked as well. You have already displayed your vast wisdom and communication skills in another thread.
Chief Smithy of Brick Forge
I buy LEGO, I play with LEGO, therefore LEGO are not for children, they are for me!
Metatron
Villein

Post by Metatron »

It's the last line of his post. Does it strike you as a hopeful statement? All that really needing saying was: "I'll pass it along."

Everyone always acts like Lego couldn't do this when everyone knows that they really just could. It's 1-2 elements we want in more colors. That's it.

FWIW, I said something nice about Darkspawn over here:
viewtopic.php?t=15273&postdays=0&postor ... &start=105

Must I kiss everyone's posteriors every day? Is that a rule around here? What gives?

Take the statement at face value and don't try to imbue with personal meaning - there isn't any. I don't know Darkspawn in real life, I therefore have no strong opinions about him as a person. I was responding only to a single line in a single post. I don't even think I was being that harsh, just playful.

So yeah...whatever...

:roll:
Hast thou given the horse strength and clothed his neck with thunder? He paweth in the valley, and rejoiceth in his strength. He swalloweth the ground with fierceness and rage. He saith among the trumpets, Ha, ha; and he smelleth the battle afar off...
DARKspawn
Lord

Post by DARKspawn »

Hi Metatron

There are many reasons why I wrote what I did. Firstly, it's inappropriate for LAs to pass on fan requests for set or part ideas to LEGO unless LEGO makes the request themselves. Otherwise the LAs & LEGO would have to address every request presented to them. Secondly, and most importantly I did not want to raise expectations that such a thing could happen. As a result I contacted a member of the LEGO Community Team Directly (our supervisors) and alerted them of this thread & provided a brief synopsis.

Non-production elements are relatively common on Bricklink, of course, & I use many myself. However none of these elements were produced due to requests by fans, they are actually the product of test molds and special elements created for Legoland displays.

Hope that helps clear things up

:)
Metatron
Villein

Post by Metatron »

DARKspawn wrote: ..it's inappropriate for LAs to pass on fan requests for set or part ideas to LEGO unless LEGO makes the request themselves.
Jeez, I would have thought that would be a major part of liaising between the two groups. Obviously it cannot be taken as given that Lego employees read this forum (although they may). If you can't make requests are you basically just another unpaid branch of marketing?

I put it to you:

What is the best way to get our ideas known?

What's the best way to make a special request like autumn colored foliage?
DARKspawn
Lord

Post by DARKspawn »

Metatron wrote:What is the best way to get our ideas known?
This is getting way off topic, & I suggest that this thread is split to better handle your concerns.

However

The best way is to post your ideas in forums like these. If there is a significant response from the community I personally feel it is valid for LAs to approach LEGO with them. Also, the CC LA's regularly read these forums, so if & when the topic is raised we will be able to communicate your desires effectively to LEGO.

But really, can you imagine how many crazy, half baked suggestions that get thrown around, or even totally awesome ones that LEGO might never see as marketable? Where does LEGO & the LA program draw the line? Are we expected to to relay every passing whim of anyone who has interenet access to LEGO with the expectation of results or even a reply? Better that the LA's serve your interests when specifically asked by LEGO when results are garenteed, rather than resting your hopes on possibilities that may never occur.

Hope that helps clear things up. For further information of the LEGO Ambassador program, check out this page over on the LEGO site - http://www.lego.com/eng/info/default.as ... mbassadors
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

I split the Autumn Foliage thread to create this new Ambassador Feedback thread.

Ben
timber_wolf899
Merchant

Post by timber_wolf899 »

DS

just wanted to comment/give a pat on the back. You've handled this topic really quite well.

The question sposed were tough but good and the answers very useful.
Domino Gloria!
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

Here's my feedback. The ambassadors have done a great job recently. With getting the Advent calendar deal worked out (and the wizard impulse too). That is exactly the type of stuff I think the ambassadors should be working on.

Also, I don't know to what extent they were involved, but the Village set is also worthy of a thumbs up or two...

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
Draykov
Serf

Post by Draykov »

timber_wolf899 wrote:DS

just wanted to comment/give a pat on the back. You've handled this topic really quite well.

The question sposed were tough but good and the answers very useful.
Agreed. I think people need to stop and think for a moment: how many other toy companies have fan oriented ambassador programs? How many other toy companies have identifiable representatives actively posting in fan forums?
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

Draykov wrote: Agreed. I think people need to stop and think for a moment: how many other toy companies have fan oriented ambassador programs? How many other toy companies have identifiable representatives actively posting in fan forums?
Only the very, very, very smart ones do. But I get the point being that there not many that do.

While there are a lot of posts here to go through there is priceless fan feedback that most companies would kill for. LEGO receives free info but then we FOLs benefit (hopefully) by getting better designed sets. It may not be perfect but at least we have this.
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
Metatron
Villein

Post by Metatron »

I agree that we have had some very pleasant surprises this last year and going forward into the next quarter or half year. I hope it may last.

I just find it odd that positive moves forward seem to come in waves. Some years back we had Lego Direct and the Legends and the MOC lines (Dan's set, which I think was good for the market even if I didn't choose to get one). Then that sort of died off. Then we got Pick A Brick, but the elements were severely limited. Then there was more PAB variety, but perhaps not enough. We've also had the Designer/Creator sets which offer good value for the price. The current Fantasy castle line serves the juvenile and adult markets equally well. So now we are getting some great castle stuff and the promised return of Pirate!

That is all great news.

But the trajectory is not a steady line going up. I've been waiting something like 10 years since Rec Toys Lego for lego to get to these many odd start and drop off points. Perhaps they've finally established the upward trend that will not drop off.

We can hope. That's what I'd like to see happen.

Existing elements in variant colors seems like such a small thing to ask for, I would think it would be an obvious decision to go with that recommendation.