New Article: Octagonal Shields and Stickers

Discussion of custom parts made for the Castle Theme
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

New Article: Octagonal Shields and Stickers

Post by SavaTheAggie »

It's finally finished. Now you can cover your Octagonal shields from the KK2 series with the factions of long ago.

Check it out!

Comments/criticism on all articles is, as always, welcome.
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

I don't see a link to the sheilds you are talking about. Maybe mine eyes decieveth me...
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
wlister
Sheriff

Post by wlister »

Looking good Anthony!

You must have a lot of time on your hands. All I can say is wow! And I think I'll say it again. WOW!

Will
After a long absence, I have returned. I can't wait to start building again.
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

I think I'm addicted to stickers. And its entirely your fault! If only you hadn't been so good at it. I am now feeling a compulsive urge to go out and buy KK2, just to get some more shields! :D :D :D
Jehkar
Peasant

Post by Jehkar »

Looking good, Anthony!

I have a question: how many pixels X pixels do they have to be to fit the sheild? (ex: 20x50)
"And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Megablocks followed with him." Revelations 6:8
the_Rascal_King
Laborer

Post by the_Rascal_King »

Ant,
Love the designs, as always.
Question: Do you draw your designs in Photoshop or do you use another program for the designing itself?
I've noticed that if you use Flash, or another vector program, like Illustrator, to construct the image in vector format, then import it into Photoshop to be colored and sized gives you a softer and less pixelated outline.
I realize that the common viewer on the site will have to download the sticker, so file size is an issue, but it might make for a better look.
Sadly, I'm out of color ink, so I haven't been able to print out anything you've done. Therefore, I don't know how they look when printed out, so I don't know how much of a difference it will make!
-Jason
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... alKing1083]the Rascal King[/url]
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Re: New Article: Octagonal Shields and Stickers

Post by footsteps »

Excellent work as always, Anthony.

But... (you knew there had to be a 'but')... I do have one complaint, or perhaps it's nothing more than a mere quibble.

What I don't like about the KK2 shield designs (and I see replicated in your customs) is that the top image is an upside down image of the bottom. I would prefer seing images that were all upright (as in the ovoid shields). I know that the centre hole causes some problems, but turn the problem into a challenge and fun things should happen! :wink:

Oh, and your elf faction is awesome!

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

the_Rascal_King wrote:Ant,
Question: Do you draw your designs in Photoshop or do you use another program for the designing itself?
I've noticed that if you use Flash, or another vector program, like Illustrator, to construct the image in vector format, then import it into Photoshop to be colored and sized gives you a softer and less pixelated outline.
I realize that the common viewer on the site will have to download the sticker, so file size is an issue, but it might make for a better look.
Sadly, I'm out of color ink, so I haven't been able to print out anything you've done. Therefore, I don't know how they look when printed out, so I don't know how much of a difference it will make!
I've printed out a ton of stickers, and at the shield size, I can affirm that the pixelated look isn't pronounced at all. (I've never even seen a hint of it, really).
footsteps wrote:What I don't like about the KK2 shield designs (and I see replicated in your customs) is that the top image is an upside down image of the bottom. I would prefer seing images that were all upright (as in the ovoid shields). I know that the centre hole causes some problems, but turn the problem into a challenge and fun things should happen!
I have to agree. If (okay, not it: when) I use of these, I'll probably flip the top creature around so that they're both rightside up. Or wrongside up, if you hold it wrong. :D
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

The Blue knight wrote:I don't see a link to the sheilds you are talking about. Maybe mine eyes decieveth me...
You may need to reload to refresh the menu, but here's a direct link anyway.

http://www.classic-castle.com/howto/art ... ields.html
wlister wrote:Looking good Anthony!

You must have a lot of time on your hands. All I can say is wow! And I think I'll say it again. WOW!

Will
Sigh... So true... so true... waaaaaay too much time on my hands.
Formendacil wrote:I think I'm addicted to stickers. And its entirely your fault! If only you hadn't been so good at it. I am now feeling a compulsive urge to go out and buy KK2, just to get some more shields! :D :D :D
Anthony Sava: The best thing to happen to LEGO's KK2... nah ;)
Jehkar wrote:Looking good, Anthony!

I have a question: how many pixels X pixels do they have to be to fit the sheild? (ex: 20x50)
Regarding the shields with borders - the space between the left and right borders and between the bottom (or top) border and the edge of the hole, not counting the space lost from the corners, is 261x200 pixels at 500 dpi. This translates into a little over 1.3x1.0 cm.

Add 30 pixels (.16 cm) to the width and 15 pixels (0.08 cm) to the height to go all the way to the edge of the shield.
the_Rascal_King wrote:Ant,
Everything I do is in Photoshop. I don't like vector programs because I'm a drawer, not an architect, and I have little patience for generating lines. I also don't have much luck creating smooth curves in vector programs. Believe me, I've tried drawing in Flash... ick.. not for me. I realize that vectors allow you to scale the image infinately, but I just don't have the patience.

As for pixelation, that's done on purpose. I like having clean lines, and when you don't use harsh, pixelated lines, you get ten thousand colors involved trying to create the illusion of a straight line. Trust me, when you print my shields, they get shrunk down so much that it is near impossible to see the pixels.

Even though you're out of color ink, that doesn't mean you can't test a sticker in grey scale. Go ahead and print out a sticker in that format and judge for yourself.
footsteps wrote:Excellent work as always, Anthony.

But... (you knew there had to be a 'but')... I do have one complaint, or perhaps it's nothing more than a mere quibble.

What I don't like about the KK2 shield designs (and I see replicated in your customs) is that the top image is an upside down image of the bottom. I would prefer seing images that were all upright (as in the ovoid shields). I know that the centre hole causes some problems, but turn the problem into a challenge and fun things should happen! :wink:

Oh, and your elf faction is awesome!

Alan
I actually kind of like the mirrored effect, to tell the truth. But that's why I included the PSDs, so those who wish to change my files can do so ;)

--Anthony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Chancellor Erik
Apprentice

Post by Chancellor Erik »

Wow, awesome stickers Anthony. I'll be using alot of them when I get more KKII shields.

Two thumbs way up (some of the best pictures of the year :P ) --Me, acting like a film critic with too much time on his hands!
Remember, when you reach for the stars, they're too far away and its hopeless. And even if you could, that would burn your hand clean off. - Wally, from Scott Adams' "Dilbert"