Yellow Castle makes a comeback! Sort of...

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Mog
Freeman

Yellow Castle makes a comeback! Sort of...

Post by Mog »

http://www.brickset.com/detail.aspx?Set=6193-1

OK, it's not really a Castle set per se, but it comes with a knight, and the use of the color yellow is an obvious nod to Castle's roots, no? I already sort of collect Creative Building sets (weird, I know) so I will obviously be buying this one. There's a surprising amount of good pieces in there - from the drawbridge chain to the flags to the leaf/vine/things. And being a Creative Building set I expect a relatively low price per brick. Anyone else gonna bite?
I collect LEGO themes that start with "C." And Pirates. I call them "Corsairs."
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

Wow, what on earth is that meant to be?
Brik Masta
Foot Soldier

Post by Brik Masta »

I'd buy it, then put in a lego comic as some weird dimension.
Username
Councilor

Post by Username »

I'll probably pass since I don't see anything unique to the set.
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

Weird. I guess given enough time anything's possible. Now if they could make that figure available at LEGO stores in the PAB section...
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
Aliencat
Josh's Minion

Post by Aliencat »

Sir Kohran wrote:Wow, what on earth is that meant to be?
It's a set in the Creative Building series, a series that usually consists of big tubs of coloured bricks. This one is themed for Castle, with a knight and a brick-built horse (just like all the animals in the Creative Building series are brick-built). But it is not a set in the Castle Theme. It's not meant to go with the rest of the line, but more as an introduction into Castle through the Creative Building theme, which is targeted mostly at young kids.
It's not meant to have unique parts or be in the PaB/Factory series, but as far as PaB goes, anything is possible.
Last edited by Aliencat on Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Between plotting to kill you all and chasing balls of yarn, I also build [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/30639040@N02/albums]MOCs[/url]

[img]http://stopthetrack.com/lego/embassy/alienambassadorpng.png[/img]
Garbageman13
Reeve

Post by Garbageman13 »

I've seen this on Flickr before. Looks real interesting. I wonder, are those leaf pieces supposed to be wreaths or Christmas ornaments on the walls? Will this come out before Christmas? I'm curious as to what that is.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/28530273@N07/]~Ye Olde Flickr~[/url]
Crusader
Peasant

Post by Crusader »

Well...it certainly looks...festive? Actually it's a cute set. I could buy it for my four year old who likes knights. I imagine it's designed and marketed to appeal to fathers, now in their thirties, who had the 375 castle in their youth and now have 4 year olds of their own.

Good job Lego, I see your marketing team has managed wrest that last $20 in my wallet.

I have paranoid visions of powerpoint presentations going on in Lego marketing HQ, with varous photos of Crusader in every shot.
"He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative." - G.K.Chesterton
MaceyWindu
Laborer

Post by MaceyWindu »

Aliencat wrote: It's not meant to have unique parts or be in the PaB/Factory series, but as far as PaB goes, anything is possible.
It doesn't have anything unique per say but the knight is different than his brothers. He has blue arms and the face is a new one (for castle).
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light not our darkness that most frightens us."
rgurskey
Laborer

Post by rgurskey »

I would say that the plants represent ivy growing on the stone walls of the fortification.

I like the inverse slope corner pieces in the tower.
How many [url=http://www.librarything.com/catalog/rgurskey]books[/url] do you own?
footsteps
Tastes good with ketchup

Re: Yellow Castle makes a comeback! Sort of...

Post by footsteps »

That's a fascinating design for the horse's head. I must try that out on my own brick-built horses. It could solve some problems I've been having.

Thanks for highlighting this.

Alan
I'm a human BEING, not a human doing!
The two most important days of your life are the day you are born
and the day you discover why. (Donald Sensing)
One plus one equals three... for large values of one. (Bruce Fournier)
Saaz
Freeman

Post by Saaz »

From an AFOL point of view I find this set pretty disappointing, because it could've been so useful if only it had been made of gray bricks... I would've bought an armload of them if that had been the case.
But I can understand that they're targeting a younger age range and maybe they felt brighter colors would be more appealing. I guess it's nice that they're releasing a castle-themed basic set- they're usually more town themed. Oh, ok, it's also nice to think maybe it's an homage to the yellow castle. ;)

I might pick up a couple as gifts for young kids, but probably won't be getting any for myself.
CVfan13
Foot Soldier

Post by CVfan13 »

Now, THAT is what I call a color catastrophe! Eh, I might pick it up for the few dark bley pieces (hooray for inverted double convex slopes! :P ) and.... the green pieces. Oh, and who doesn't need another foot soldier?
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

I must say: I approve whole-heartedly of this move on LEGO's part. I've thought for years that the Freestyle/Creator/Whatname'llcomenext theme didn't need to apply just to Town figs. And, in a sense, a new "official faction." :P

I'll probably have to get one or more of these just for the novelty. I've never not been able to use more basic bricks.
Garbageman13
Reeve

Post by Garbageman13 »

rgurskey wrote:I would say that the plants represent ivy growing on the stone walls of the fortification.

I like the inverse slope corner pieces in the tower.
Shame, I was hoping for this set before Christmas! :twisted:
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/28530273@N07/]~Ye Olde Flickr~[/url]