More hair styles please

Open message to The LEGO Company. We make no guarantee that anyone from LEGO will actually read them, let alone respond!
Karalora
Journeyman

More hair styles please

Post by Karalora »

Don't get me wrong, the hair pieces that have been released in recent years are great, but I feel like I've explored the design variations of the existing pieces to their limits. And I always want more variety.

For starters, I would like to see the existing hair pieces (except maybe the Princess Leia buns) in a wider range of colors. Often, a new wig design will be created for a particular licensed character, in that character's hair color, and not used for anything else. This seems like a waste of the time, effort, and money that went into creating the mold. Plus, TLC misses out on opportunities to create distinctive "characters" for their non-licensed lines by over-using the generic wigs like the ponytail instead of getting more use out of the unique styles.

At the very minimum, every wig design should be available in black, brown, orange or dark orange, light gray, and tan, to cover the basic range of natural human hair colors. If TLC doesn't have a specific use for a given style/color combination, they can always put them in Pick-a-Brick. I'm sure all of us AFOLs would eat them up.

As for new styles, I really, really would like to have a hair piece with a topknot or bun that looks better than the godawful Islander hair from the old Pirates line. Something I wouldn't be ashamed to put on a Far East-inspired minifig, or on a little old lady. (Really, Aunt May? A ponytail? Since when?) Speaking of ponytails, I also think it's high time we had one tied at the nape of the neck rather than the crown of the head. (No, the Qui-Gon wig doesn't count.) A single long braid would be nice too. And again, all of these styles should be available in at least the five colors mentioned above.

So what do you think? Any other ideas?
Bluesecrets
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order
High Priestess of the Vermillion Order

Post by Bluesecrets »

In my opinion it is the male hair that is more lacking in variety and options. There are many variations and colors for females. If you want more, then customize them yourself. Or go look at the excellent places that make customized pieces.

Reality is that in the past year we've gotten four new female wigs. Which is a very rare development. One that we should be grateful for, not pushing for more.

As one of the long standing female members around here, I am more than grateful for these new wigs as well as the new female minifigs. They are very well designed, very well planned, and beautiful. The designer in charge of the female figs should be commended for her work.
BrickshelfFlickr

Queen of Tan

Any building, is good building. Build for the fun of it!
Scrib
Gong Farmer

Post by Scrib »

I agree completely. Certain hairpieces, like the "Dumbledore" hair are available in a wide range of colors, but they only appear in one or two sets and thus command a high price on Bricklink (like the black and tan).

It's a coincidence that you post this now, because I was just thinking about how LEGO needs to mold a new ponytail (tied at the nape of the neck). The new torso from the 6192 Pirates Building Set is excellent for a Monkey Island 2-costumed Guybrush Threepwood, but there's no real good "Guybrush-esque" hairpiece out right now. I've got a Qui-Gon wig stuck on him, along with the stubble-beard head found in lots of sets like the Crossbow Attack, but the Qui-Gon wig doesn't really cut it. A new ponytail wig like that would also be good for the Governor (or any other British-looking official) if cast in white.
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=290641

Current WTB list: '92 Black Knight's Castle, '95 Royal Knight's Castle
Karalora
Journeyman

Post by Karalora »

Bluesecrets wrote:In my opinion it is the male hair that is more lacking in variety and options.
There's less that can be done with short hair to begin with, especially at minifig scale. I tried to think of some specifically male styles to add to the list, but I couldn't come up with any that couldn't already be approximated by an existing piece. What did you have in mind?
As one of the long standing female members around here, I am more than grateful for these new wigs as well as the new female minifigs. They are very well designed, very well planned, and beautiful. The designer in charge of the female figs should be commended for her work.
I agree totally--it's great work, and that's why I hope to see more of it! It's not a case of "You guys suck for not making these parts," but "You guys rock for making these new parts--please don't stop!"
Username
Councilor

Post by Username »

Not counting crazy* hair pieces, according to Bricklink there are currently 8 hair pieces that have been used in sets for female minifigs while there are also 8 male hair pieces. I believe the new queen miniature has a new hair piece that has been shown in dark brown and light tan that is not in the Bricklink database.

I'd much rather Lego produce another long hair male piece, but I do agree that the available hair pieces should come in more colors.

*(Exo-Force, Two-Face, Islanders, etc)
Username
Councilor

Post by Username »

Seems I was mistaken. 2009 will have two new hair pieces for female and not two colors for the new queen hair piece:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/seile ... 9/0003.jpg
Karalora
Journeyman

Post by Karalora »

Username wrote:I'd much rather Lego produce another long hair male piece
This raises an interesting question: what defines "male" long hair as opposed to unisex long hair like the Dumbledore piece? I guess if it has a beard attached like the Hagrid hair, that would do it, but I don't think that's what you had in mind.
Hewkiril
Laborer

Post by Hewkiril »

I can see Willie's new hair working for both genders as well - remove the tiara and it's another style of wavy hair, like Lockhart's.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=162657]My Brickshelf[/url] - [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/hewkii9/]My Flickr[/url]
Username
Councilor

Post by Username »

Karalora wrote:
Username wrote:I'd much rather Lego produce another long hair male piece
This raises an interesting question: what defines "male" long hair as opposed to unisex long hair like the Dumbledore piece? I guess if it has a beard attached like the Hagrid hair, that would do it, but I don't think that's what you had in mind.
I think the Qui-gon hair is male, and I'd like something that has a definite masculine look to it. I also wouldn't mind a unisex long hair piece.
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Okay, like Blue said, lets not ask for too much. Lets look at things here. This year we got the agent Trace hair and last year we got the princess hair. And next year we are getting a queen hair and a Willie hair. Now, lets consider how many female hairs there were up to the year, say, 1998. If I recall correctly, four. And one of them was the old pigtail one that hasn't been in sets forever and another was the indian hair. Since 1999 and onward, we have gotten seven new female hairs. The four I mentioned, plus two Star Wars, and a Harry Potter one. So in the last ten years, a third of the time the minifig has been around, we have almost tripled the amount of female hairs. And of the total eleven, four, a third of them, have come out between 2007-09. Really, Lego has done a spectacular job, and I would not be surprised if some of the 09 sets contained another new hair or two. So we don't need to go asking Lego for more do we? They've more than done their job, so lets just enjoy all that we have so recently recieved.

Dan :wink:
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
MoonCheese
Freeman

Post by MoonCheese »

The Native American hair was unisex, as it was used by most of the figs in that line...
Avatar: Terra Branford, Final Fantasy VI
castlebuilder100
Man-At-Arms

Post by castlebuilder100 »

I am happy with the hairs that LEGO is giving us. There have been a bunch of new ones recently and I think LEGO is doing great as far as that goes. As for unisex hair this one is used for both male and female figs.
Chrislad77
Foot Soldier

Post by Chrislad77 »

I think everyone on this forum is for more hair pieces and more colors of the existing pieces. TLG really has improved the selection of hair pieces available. Yes some are rare but like the agent Trace hair piece they will get worked into more sets in the future. I would like to see TLG continue the great work they've done in this area.
MoonCheese
Freeman

Post by MoonCheese »

I think there should be at least one short feminine hairstyle. Not all women have long hair.

Of course, I'd love to have a ponytail hairpiece in green...*looks at avatar*
Avatar: Terra Branford, Final Fantasy VI
castlebuilder100
Man-At-Arms

Post by castlebuilder100 »

MoonCheese wrote:I think there should be at least one short feminine hairstyle. Not all women have long hair.
Well, there's this. Or you can use this (seen here) or this (seen here).