New Cows

Open message to The LEGO Company. We make no guarantee that anyone from LEGO will actually read them, let alone respond!
RebelRock
Supreme Warlord
Supreme Warlord

New Cows

Post by RebelRock »

I'm sure a lot of us are well aware of the long awaited cows in a few upcoming sets. The look of it is starting to grow on me but I have to echo the many complaints on it's design. It obviously deviates stylistically from a lot of the system scale animals(horse, dog, etc.). Would it be possible to get a truthful answer on whether the design decision was based on marketability or trying to avoid legal hassles with other clone brands? More specifically, did you not make Lego cows look like "Lego" cows because someone like Brickforge designed very Lego-like animals and any similar sculpt done by yourselves would be treading near design infringement?

Getting this Lego cow design because of Brickforge cows(being the result of fans waiting around too many years for Lego farm animals) would be terribly ironic.

Just a thought.
stuifzand
Archer

Post by stuifzand »

Since TLC had no problem copying the Star Wars weapons from Little Armoury, I highly doubt that the brickforge cow was a problem.
If you're a Dutch legofan, visit [url=http://www.lowlug.nl]Lowlug[/url]!
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

We need to keep in mind that the Lego horse was designed around 1983 by an employee who is likely retired. The new cow does seem to be more like animals found in the duplo line. Perhaps one of those designers worked on the element or looked to duplo animals as an inspiration. Or it could just be that the new designer has a different sculpting style than the person who designed the horse.

Ben
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

When I see the 2009 cows, I immediately "feel" Mini-Duplo-Cow is the proper term. I'm fine with that. It certainly offers more character in line with the "cute" of the Minifigure than the scale dog element that we've seen since the Harry Potter Prisoner of Azka-something sets.
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

I was kind of wondering about this myself.

I'm hoping any more animals will be more in the horse/dog style.

Though the cow seems/feels to be more closely related to the cat.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
natelite
Foot Soldier

Post by natelite »

Athos wrote:Though the cow seems/feels to be more closely related to the cat.

Steve
holy cow...the cow is related to the cat!!! :D

but now that ben mentioned it, it seems to be a case of a new designer. the new dragon for eg. there's also the cat as steve mentioned. the new sharks as well. the harry potter trolls and recently the giant trolls.
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

I agree I was hoping for something more like the BF cow. I look forward to seeing the cow in person to reserve further comments but I agree I was surprised that it was so different from the Lego horse design.

R
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
Seriole
Serf

Post by Seriole »

From what I can tell from the pictures, the cow's body is more or less an updated version of the horse. I hope that they don't look too odd standing side by side. Also, the cow still has the indent on it's back for attaching carts and so, but does anyone know if it can fit a saddle? If so I think that cow knights may be in order :D
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

Here are some close ups so you can see. The head inparticular is what caught my eye.

Take a close up on the cow and horse here. The differences are pretty interesting.

http://www.brothers-brick.com/wp-conten ... 93_009.jpg

Here is the BF version.

https://www.brickforge.com/store/produc ... 303&page=1

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
Baites
Foot Soldier

Cows and Horses

Post by Baites »

I think when the design of the cow was decided, they were looking at beefing it up the cow to make it a believable beast of burden.

The horse on the other hand is more slender, built for speed. All the better to charge a line of orcs.
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

Heir of Black Falcon wrote:I agree I was hoping for something more like the BF cow. I look forward to seeing the cow in person to reserve further comments but I agree I was surprised that it was so different from the Lego horse design.
R
I too would have rather liked a more BF cow. The new cow does look more duplo, but at least LEGO is making a cow in the first place. As long as LEGO doesn't change the horse design...
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
Ye Olde Republic
Marquis of Brique

Post by Ye Olde Republic »

stuifzand wrote:Since TLC had no problem copying the Star Wars weapons from Little Armoury, I highly doubt that the brickforge cow was a problem.
I don't think I can possibly disagree with that statement any more than I already do. Not only do the official LEGO Star Wars blasters not look anything like Jeff's weapons, and even if they did, they come from the same source material (the Star Wars movies?). Any similarities would most certainly be due to that, if there were any.

Why is it that Rocko has posed an interesting question about a legality issue and we have decided to run with the notions of the appearance of the piece? I didn't think that's where he was going with his question, was it?
Good question Rocko, I doubt you'll get any kind of answer for it but I'd certainly be interested in hearing it.

Trevor
Trevor

Trust me, I think I'm funnier than you do.
Why do I have to add the word "minifig" to my spell checker every time I use it?!

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/old_republic/]flickr[/url]
[url=http://angrylegonerd.blogspot.com/]My blog[/url]
Sir Nelson
Old Wizard

Post by Sir Nelson »

I'm sure that TLG has a whole zoo of animals that they have not released yet. Timing on those element is probably tied to themes, sales, and forecasts, not to the products of other companies. Now, if there were a Harry Potter cow (or some other licensed theme with said bovine), we'd probably have seen their version come out a lot sooner.

I don't suppose BF would bring about any legal action, but if they did, would they have a hoof to stand on for copyright infringement? A LEGO-compatible cow, similar to the LEGO horse versus a LEGO cow. That's a whole different bucket of milk.

Meantime, let's enjoy the new moo makers, and not have a cow. Brickjournal has a review on the 10193 set already, including these new beasts. I rather fancy the TLG versions.... yee-haw!
"Old Wizards never die, nor fade away. They just kind of operate behind the scenes and in the shadows... doing all of their weird and wonderful Wizardy things and whatnot."
MoonCheese
Freeman

Post by MoonCheese »

I think just about any new animals or other accessories in Lego are good.
Avatar: Terra Branford, Final Fantasy VI
RebelRock
Supreme Warlord
Supreme Warlord

Post by RebelRock »

Steve Witt mostly answered my question over at FBTB. Apparently it doesn't have anything to do with any legal mumbo jumbo. Just comes down to the evolution of design I suppose. Anyhoo, the new cow is starting to grow on me. Especially after comparing it to every Lego animal besides the horse. :wink: