Weekly Set Review: 6102 Castle Mini-Figures

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
legobaron
Gong Farmer

Post by legobaron »

Hello all, this is my first post on the forum. I've been lurking for quite awhile on this site and lugnet and hope to post some my MOCs in the coming few weeks.

Anyway, this set was one of my favorite when growing up. I probably bought about a six or seven of them back then. It was the fastest way to build up your armies and get equipment. Hopefully, Lego will come back to its senses some day and create more sets like this. It was a great source for weapons, shields, etc. My oldest is four now and loves playing with different minifigs. I gave him some of my old knights and he's turned most of his Star War guys into knights. I digress.

Great set.
Drew Setter
r2t299
Gong Farmer

Post by r2t299 »

I would rate this set a 9/10 as one who is into primarly building arms this set would be my bread and butter.Never had it but would have loved to. I would tend to agree that the crusader with the axe torso should have a round shield instead. I have a bunch of this type of fig and thats what I gave them very nice touch I guess that is one inconsistency that annoys me when it comes to how TLC made the different factions. In my mind the axe torsos should be a separate faction from those with the lion but thats the beauty of being able to customize given the proper resources. Also its interesting how that gray round shield just seems to pop up in various sets over the years in varous factions.
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

One of the very best army builders. I have 10-12 of these babies. If only Lego would make stuff like the old days.
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

In 1986, I just didn't want minifig packs, I wanted castles, spaceships, and trucks, so I passed on many opportunities to purchase this "stupid" set.

I've grown up a bit and realized that I was being an idiot! This is a great pack for building up an army and manning the walls on your modular castle sections. Definitely better than most castle minifig packs, and definitely worth buying in multiples.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
brian
Freeman

Post by brian »

I have a dream where this set comes out as the next Legend!! :D I can only imagine how many of these Lego would sell. This set was great then,(even though I never got one). When you mix Falcons and Crusaders you can never go wrong.
" Black Falcon High football team rules!"
Jyp
Peasant

Post by Jyp »

Indeed, first --as an adult who have always repected the color charters since he's a child-- it seems that the color don't fit with the faction.

But, as Jojo said, while regarding the classic sets, black weapons are frequently used for Lions and red pants for BF.

But what is "non Classic charter compatible for me", is that the helmet with a chin-guard is worn by other soldiers than archers. Except the first 677, classic soldiers wear only a helmet with a neck-protector and archers wear only a helmet with a chin-guard... It may look strange but actually, maybe it's more "historical"...

As a child and still as an afol, this set is pretty perfect, but not marvelous... So, 6.5/10.
Sir_Brick
Freeman

Post by Sir_Brick »

If they came out with this (and the price wasn't to bad) I would buy at least three! :D I like how it has two different factions in it too.
CastleLord
Reeve

Post by CastleLord »

Well i do not own this set but if it got released again i would buy from 5 to 20 of them, and since i said that i give it a 10/10.

CastleLord.
CastleLord. The Lord of the castle.
TFOL and computer nerd. I do as I please and live life to the fullest!
Please visit:
and [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/castlelord/]My Flickr[/url]
Teherean
Steward

Post by Teherean »

Definately a set that I would have bought multiple times if I lived 'back in the days' :P
unfortunately, I grew up with KK I and II so I never really had the good opportunity to collect my favorite faction: the black falcons. oh well. great set
AFOL, Brony, Yeah... I am a child at heart!

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/t-est/LCC ... nfald2.jpg[/img]
davor
Freeman

Post by davor »

wasn`t much of the set whan i was kind, isn`t much of the set now...6 guys in a box...vauuuu...crazyyyy..it must be best set ever created....it had some extra hard to find items...NOT...it had some special features...NOT....so whats so crazy about it?
4/10 :roll: :roll:

and this goes to all other similar sets....
Jojo
Master

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

davor wrote:wasn`t much of the set whan i was kind, isn`t much of the set now...6 guys in a box...vauuuu...crazyyyy..it must be best set ever created....it had some extra hard to find items...NOT...it had some special features...NOT....so whats so crazy about it?
Hehe, thanks!

You know, most contributers on these forums dream about amassing huge armies of ... whatever... soldiers, knights, wizards, orcs, trolls, dwarves, jesters, cows. So whenever a set comes with more than one figure they go nuts and jubilate "army builder!" and "If I'd have lived then and had the chance I'd have bought 20 of these!!!"

In this case, though, they are right. A set containing of six figs with weapons not only is an army builder. It even was meant to be one.

Well, I actually had the chance to buy 20 of these back in the days. And I bought... one. I figured it would be better to get several differenet sets for bricks to build with, sets that came with minifigures anyway, than just spend my money (or christmas-wish-contingent for that matter) on just one kind of set. I did not regret it.

Merry Christmas everybody!
Jojo
Aliencat
Josh's Minion

Post by Aliencat »

Jojo wrote:Well, I actually had the chance to buy 20 of these back in the days. And I bought... one.
Same here. I bought one cause the figs were a nice addition to the few castle sets I had as a kid in those days. It's a great little set to add to what you already had, but I also wouldn't buy 20 of these to build armies with. Not in those days, and not today.
Between plotting to kill you all and chasing balls of yarn, I also build [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/30639040@N02/albums]MOCs[/url]

[img]http://stopthetrack.com/lego/embassy/alienambassadorpng.png[/img]
davor
Freeman

Post by davor »

Jojo wrote:Hello!

davor wrote:wasn`t much of the set whan i was kind, isn`t much of the set now...6 guys in a box...vauuuu...crazyyyy..it must be best set ever created....it had some extra hard to find items...NOT...it had some special features...NOT....so whats so crazy about it?
Hehe, thanks!

You know, most contributers on these forums dream about amassing huge armies of ... whatever... soldiers, knights, wizards, orcs, trolls, dwarves, jesters, cows. So whenever a set comes with more than one figure they go nuts and jubilate "army builder!" and "If I'd have lived then and had the chance I'd have bought 20 of these!!!"

In this case, though, they are right. A set containing of six figs with weapons not only is an army builder. It even was meant to be one.

Well, I actually had the chance to buy 20 of these back in the days. And I bought... one. I figured it would be better to get several differenet sets for bricks to build with, sets that came with minifigures anyway, than just spend my money (or christmas-wish-contingent for that matter) on just one kind of set. I did not regret it.

Merry Christmas everybody!
Jojo
Jojo my man! :) this is what i had in mind writing that above :)

i was also in the same situation back than in 85-86 whan i was kid - did exactly like you and also i don`t regret it. :)
Tower of Iron Will
Master

Post by Tower of Iron Will »

Dragonlord Esq. wrote:I would unload my bank account on these. I don't think I need to say any more.
This set is like opera. Either you like it or you don't. This was right at the time I was coming out of a dark age so I was hungry for great LEGO figures and LEGO delivered. I am so glad I bought a few of these sets as to try and go back now and buy the same figures would be too expensive. I feel for those that wanted to army buid in a pre-bricklink era this was the set. 10/10.
-Tower
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely!

Despise learning and make everyone pay for your ignorance.

The water that floats a ship is the same that sinks it.

My LEGO figures keep me from being evil, drat!!
davee123
Knower of the Doin's

Post by davee123 »

Tower of Iron Will wrote:This set is like opera. Either you like it or you don't.
I read that and couldn't believe there were actually people who DIDN'T like this set. So I had to go back and re-read the thread-- looks like only 1 person gave it a less than average rating (4/10), and most people thought it was better than average or absolutely amazing.

Avg rating on LUGNET: 86/100 (20 votes, 1 softener, 88/100 without softener)
Avg rating on BrickSet: 4.667/5 (3 votes)
Avg rating on Classic-Castle: 8.467/10 (10 votes)

Overall: 86.37/100 (33 votes + softener, 87.48 without softener)

I have a hard time giving this set a perfect score myself-- I gave it a 90/100 on LUGNET, which I think I stand by.

I guess it's a little late now, but that'd be an interesting feature for all these stickied "review" threads-- a little poll to rank the set on a scale of 0-10.

DaveE