Head Question

Discussion of general LEGO topics
Dragon Master
Merchant

Head Question

Post by Dragon Master »

I stumbled upon something odd the other day. One of my "smile" minifig heads was different, his stud was different. It was not an indented peace sign thing, but an outward stud. I found 3 in total. How old are these heads?

Thanks,

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
Jojo
Master

Re: Head Question

Post by Jojo »

Hello!

Dragon Master wrote:I stumbled upon something odd the other day. One of my "smile" minifig heads was different, his stud was different. It was not an indented peace sign thing, but an outward stud. I found 3 in total. How old are these heads?
I'm not sure if I understand the question correctly...
Are you speaking about heads with solid studs (as opposed to the current heads with a hollow stud and tierced hole in it)?
If "yes", heads with solid studs were the regular ones and have been produced up to about 1991. So when you get a set from 1989 and the studs of the heads are hollow these heads are wrong (if you ever care about such details).

Bye
Jojo

Dragon Master
Merchant

Post by Dragon Master »

You hit the nail on the head there Jojo (pun intended).

Thats exactly what I ment, I didn't know how to word it. I like the old heads better. Any idea of to why they were changed. The old ones seem to stay connected to the neck better, and make a nice "pop" sound when I take them off.

Yeah!

DM
"I have looked for you. Now you have come to me. And I thank you." -Pope John Paul II
Christopher McCleerey
Peasant

Post by Christopher McCleerey »

Hi.

I like the old heads too. I think they work better for bald minifigs.

I heard a while ago that they were changed because the old ones posed a choking hazard. The new ones therefor allowed air to pass through if the head was stuck.

Maybe.

I was told this by my father some years ago so in truth I don't think I realy know why the heads are different. It satisfied the curriosity of a ten year old though.

My 2 cents, anyway.
C
A cartographer's end:
"Here be dragons!"
lemon_squeezer2
Gentleman

Post by lemon_squeezer2 »

I liked those solid stud heads very much too.
The change also was around the time that those beautiful shooting cannons became harder to find.

Oh well, at least we have bricklink :D
Bruce N H
Precentor of the Scriptorium

Post by Bruce N H »

I can't imagine that choking hazard thing was the reason. I don't think enough air would get through the small hole in the head to keep you alive, and even if this was true it would only work if the head was facing the right way in the throat--rotate it a bit and you're back to a completely obstructed airway.

Bruce
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

Solid stud heads rock!

Think of all the abs LEGO has saved from introducing the new heads :D

Actually, the newer heads are a bit easier to remove than the old ones from helmets.

Ben
CC Sets Admin
Teh Stud
Bailiff

Post by Teh Stud »

I'm sure TLG introduced the new heads to reduce the "suction". Sometimes old heads will get stuck helmets or even be hard to remove from bodies. This is because the air can't escape..... With the hollow stud, air can flow, thus no "suction".

:mrgreen: