Any suggestions for a 2009 Castle Advent Calender?

Open message to The LEGO Company. We make no guarantee that anyone from LEGO will actually read them, let alone respond!
KingDavid
Apprentice

Any suggestions for a 2009 Castle Advent Calender?

Post by KingDavid »

I thought this would be be an interesting idea for a thread. What do you guys think would be some good mini-sets for a 2009 Castle Advent Calendar? Maybe we'll get lucky and LEGO will actually read this. If not, it might still be fun. Most of my ideas are simply new weapons and furniture for my castle and market village, but someone's bound to have some cool ideas on here. And if nothing else, it may inspire us to build some neat new things out of our existing parts to accessorize what we already have. :D
Rick-Ricks
Tastes good with ketchup

Post by Rick-Ricks »

What if all the miniset's formed one big set?
KingDavid
Apprentice

Post by KingDavid »

Rick-Ricks wrote:What if all the miniset's formed one big set?
That would be interesting. I've been thinking and here's what I came up with:

- Dungeon accessories, like a guillotine, iron maiden, or torture rack.
- Exclusive weapon.
- Exclusive food item.
- An elf minifig.
- Furniture, like a bookcase with books or a couple paintings.

The advent calendars are designed to simply add details to existing sets, it seems. Those would be some nice touches, I think.
Hewkiril
Laborer

Post by Hewkiril »

A bley horse! Also I might like it if the 3-day theme for each fig formed a building, for example. Day 1- Maiden. Day 2 - Side of a tavern with a bar. Day 3 - Side of a tavern with door and a chair. Day 4 - Roof that connects onto 2 and 3 and a chest or something.
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=162657]My Brickshelf[/url] - [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/hewkii9/]My Flickr[/url]
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

A musician would be nice.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
KingDavid
Apprentice

Post by KingDavid »

Athos wrote:A musician would be nice.

Steve
Now THAT'S a great idea. I'd love to have a LEGO bard with a lute. A minstrel show MOC would be great. I'm gonna put that on my list of things to do. :D
Sir Nelson
Old Wizard

Post by Sir Nelson »

A monk would be better. 8) (Hey, it IS an ADVENT set, after all!)
"Old Wizards never die, nor fade away. They just kind of operate behind the scenes and in the shadows... doing all of their weird and wonderful Wizardy things and whatnot."
annie2200
Freeman

Post by annie2200 »

I would love to see a Monk, I would also love an elf, but I don't know.... I very much doubt that there are elf sets this year, so a teaser leading into 2010 would be great :)
Also some more shiny pieces would be nice. :D
Lego is my first love, it will always be my last
MrBlack103
Villein

Post by MrBlack103 »

I'd probably want a fig in each one :D . A good, though somewhat hopeful mix would be 5 peasants, 5 crownie soldiers, 5 dwarves, 5 orcs and 5 "special" figs that most people would only want one of. And I DO realise this is not very imaginitive :oops:
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

I think a advent Calendar of just minifigs would make its cost out of the target range TLC has for them. That's be twice the cost of the current runs.

I agree though having some small sets you can build up over 3-4 days would be fun. Have a peasant with maybe a market stall you build up or a smith(maybe a dwarf one to keep that faction alive) with an anvil and shop being made of maybe 4 supports and a roof. In the end they could get all sorts of things in that would be fun.

To be honest I am not sure it would be a great idea for lego to put torture devices into any sets no matter what time of year. There are 100s of small ideas they could do though. Redo some of the neat fright knight sets with trolls, dwarves and the like.

I'd love to have a bard, elf or monk, maybe all three in fact. In the end I hope they just keep doing it. My family loved them. My son came running every morning in to open them and see what little treat was to be built that day. Since I only do Castle theme them keeping this up would be a nice tradition and as I have more kids I can see it being even more interesting.

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
Draykov
Serf

Post by Draykov »

I love the bard idea (printed bar flute or some new instrument element would be great). A monk would be interesting...with the typical slope waist-down approach we've seen with gowns for his robe...though I'd be a bit surprised to see LEGO go with such an obvious religious figure, so a secular-friendly approximation of a monk would be fine by me. I think dungeon torture devices are unrealistic.

Several days for a peasant...maybe the fig, a horse and a brick-built cart of some kind for the horse to drag.

New female figs are always welcome, so some royal courtiers or old granny type female peasants would be nice with appropriately themed accompanying brick-built items (chairs, tables, other furniture, hearth).

I wouldn't mind seeing a roguish forestman/ranger type character...perhaps with a goatee and a flowing cape. He could be followed up with a small brick-built tree or perhaps a brick-built campfire.

Another dwarf would be good. Perhaps with some armorer's tools and product. Brick-built bellows might be hard to pull off, but something like that.

Elves of course would be great...maybe include an elven king with a brown and green thrown with lots of natural plant life vibe.
MrBlack103
Villein

Post by MrBlack103 »

I think a advent Calendar of just minifigs would make its cost out of the target range TLC has for them. That's be twice the cost of the current runs.
I DID say my idea was pretty hopeful.
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

Sir Nelson wrote:
A monk would be better. 8) (Hey, it IS an ADVENT set, after all!)
Monks are actually pretty easy to make on your own. You just need some brown jedi hoods and jedi torsos. A priest of some sort with a tonsured hair would be nice. Or better yet, a bishop... :D

I think a lute playing minstrel would be a great follow up to the jester. Though I don't think we'll get a new lute piece for just an advent calendar.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
natelite
Foot Soldier

Post by natelite »

Athos wrote: I think a lute playing minstrel would be a great follow up to the jester. Though I don't think we'll get a new lute piece for just an advent calendar.

Steve
it is easy to moc a lute though. like the one in the music thread. but i agree a minstrel/bard would be an awesome followup to the jester.

i think though that the advent calendar sets should continue to contain mini decorative pieces meant to augment bigger sets. like the city versions which have beds, desks for us to add to our CCs or GGs.

i think that's the best use of a $20-30 calendar set. while i find the idea of "24 sets forming a single set" interesting, $20-30 isn't going to come up with anything impressive. so i much rather the set gives us details to add to our existing sets instead.
castlebuilder100
Man-At-Arms

Post by castlebuilder100 »

Uhh do we actually know that we are getting another castle advent calender? I have a uhh feeling...ahh well it's just a fun little little thread ;).