Can a 2009 LEGO Castle Sets thread not be against the rules?

Open message to The LEGO Company. We make no guarantee that anyone from LEGO will actually read them, let alone respond!
KingDavid
Apprentice

Can a 2009 LEGO Castle Sets thread not be against the rules?

Post by KingDavid »

Okay, I do realize that we are not allowed to post leaked information about the new 2009 LEGO Castle theme sets that are rumored to be coming out next year and I agree to abide by those rules to the fullest extent I can, having limited knowledge of the forum rules pertaining to such, which I could find little information on. But perhaps we could use a thread in which we simply speculate about these sets?

I am not exactly sure what's in store for the Castle theme sets in 2009, but I'm sure by now many of us have gotten some sort of information about those three sets that aren't out yet (10193 Medieval Market Village is now available, even though it's still being referred to by many as a 2009 set). I know many, if not all of us, are anxious to see what exactly is in these sets. And we all will in time.

I, for one, simply want to make sure I stash away enough money so that I can jump on these as soon as they become available. Without posting what information I have gathered on these sets, would anyone out there who has similar knowledge of the preliminary images and descriptions of these sets agree or disagree that $14.99, $39.99, and $99.99 are probably going to be pretty good estimates of the prices that these sets will be going for at the LEGO Shop at Home site, if in fact the content of these sets does not change more than a little and LEGO chooses to sell them on their site? There's no need to name names of the sets or any other specific information. If you know what I'm talking about, great. If not, then don't worry about it. Mum's the word, eh?

Anyway, if I'm breaking any rules by starting this thread, then I do apologize. I sincerely don't mean to. I understand that the proliferation of rumors and information that may or may not be legitimate and/or is subject to change without notice does have, at the very least, some ethical implications. I'm just excited, that's all. And I think we should be able to at least discuss our hopes and expectations for the 2009 sets without worrying about stepping on anyone's toes. We love ya, LEGO.

Like, for one, I haven't heard anything about skeletons or dwarves on the horizon. I could live without the skeletons, but the dwarves really need more sets. I'm thinking something like a steampunk-style tank or something. Anybody else have any comments?
Asterios
Solecist

Post by Asterios »

When Lego officially Releases info that a set is impending it is allowed to post pics and talk about it.
Lord of the Armies

and

Master of the Domain
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

All speculation threads belong in the Dear Lego forum. I will move this topic there. Discussion of leaked images or text is still not allowed in the thread. Thanks.

Ben
CC Sets Admin
natelite
Foot Soldier

Post by natelite »

you are close. i would have to say $20, $40, $99. haven't seen any set delibrately priced at the $15 range except for a few SW sets.
KingDavid
Apprentice

Post by KingDavid »

architect wrote:All speculation threads belong in the Dear Lego forum. I will move this topic there. Discussion of leaked images or text is still not allowed in the thread. Thanks.

Ben
CC Sets Admin
Gotcha. Thanks. I really didn't mean to break any rules. I'm just getting into the whole steampunk thing here lately and I think the Dwarves need more than just a small vehicle to defend their mine. That, and I'm just making sure I have enough for the new Castle sets this next year. I have money to spend now, but I may not always, so I want to save some up. Thanks.
natelite wrote:you are close. i would have to say $20, $40, $99. haven't seen any set delibrately priced at the $15 range except for a few SW sets.
Ah, I see. Well, that makes sense, considering the Skeleton Prison Carriage was $20. Thanks. :)
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

I think you may be over-thinking things a bit here - if you want to have one of each set, save yourself 200-300 USD and buy all you want when they come out - you should have extra left over to put towards something else, save in your bank, or buy 2-4 of the same sets for army builders or what-not. :wink:

No need to examine the general cost of each LEGO set each year, unless you simply enjoy that much detail - save yourself a nice chunk of money, and forget about it all until the sets come out - no since wasting time and stress on something you can't change. :)
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
KingDavid
Apprentice

Post by KingDavid »

ottoatm wrote:I think you may be over-thinking things a bit here - if you want to have one of each set, save yourself 200-300 USD and buy all you want when they come out - you should have extra left over to put towards something else, save in your bank, or buy 2-4 of the same sets for army builders or what-not. :wink:

No need to examine the general cost of each LEGO set each year, unless you simply enjoy that much detail - save yourself a nice chunk of money, and forget about it all until the sets come out - no since wasting time and stress on something you can't change. :)
True, true. But, I've been buying LEGO sets lately out of the money I am receiving on a weekly basis for things from my last collection that I have been selling on consignment at a local store and when those funds are gone, money will be a lot harder to come by. So I want to make sure I save at least enough for one of each out of that money.

I have seen a little information about these sets, which may or may not be true. But if it is, then one of each should suffice. After all, I have all of the 2007 - 2008 Castle sets except for The Good Wizard, as well as a spare King's Castle Siege and Dwarves' Mine, and I plan to buy a few Knights Kingdom II and Vikings sets in the next few weeks. Hopefully that will give me plenty of building parts for now. All in all, I'm going to end up with roughly 300 minifigs, so I shouldn't need to build any further armies. If so, I can always trade.

But thanks for putting it that way. After all, there may be some nice new elements coming out in 2009 that will cause me to want duplicate sets. That's a good enough reason to not worry about a spending limit right now. Hopefully I can get a nice MOC or two put together soon.
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

I see your point/perspective. :) Just wanted to be sure - I know I've been one to over-think about these things in the past. :wink:
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
Bear
Peasant

Post by Bear »

natelite wrote:you are close. i would have to say $20, $40, $99. haven't seen any set delibrately priced at the $15 range except for a few SW sets.
I don't think we will see a $99.99 set. I would say more like $79.99.
timber_wolf899
Merchant

Post by timber_wolf899 »

i wish, but the big castles are usually priced at 99.99.

The question is, would we have two top price sets or two 79.99 sets in a year?
Domino Gloria!
KingDavid
Apprentice

Post by KingDavid »

Well, I honestly don't want to violate the TOS, but I do think it's safe to say that right now the fantasy era is all about four factions: crown knights, skeletons, dwarves, and trolls. The knights have their castle, the skeletons have their tower, and the dwarves have their mine. If LEGO decides to make a home base for the trolls, as well, they're likely going to move on to other factions afterward. I just hope it's elves. But would they be allied with the forces of good or evil? I'd say good. But then, wouldn't they need an adversary to balance things out?

Or it's possible that they would ditch the "Castle" theme and move onto something different, like a "??? Knights" theme, as they've done in the past. Anyway, I haven't heard any rumors about that sort of thing, and if I had, I wouldn't repeat them here.

I'm just interested to see what's next with LEGO Castle. After seeing the Medieval Market Village, I have high hopes. Since this is Dear LEGO, I'd just like to say that I think it's time for the fighting to get put on hold. Fortresses and siege vehicles are all nice, but it's hard to defend your way of life when it's just fighting. The market village is a great step in a whole new direction. I'd really like to see some sets where all of the factions had something non-violent to do to enrich their lives and thus, make defending them that much more meaningful. Of course, that may be a bit too deep for LEGO's target demographic. But then again, the market is intended for ages 12+ and it's selling like crazy, so who knows?

I just hope that LEGO succeeds in this new direction. I hope that they don't simply shift all of their Castle sets to ages 12+ and in doing so, lose out on a lot of younger customers, causing them to lose money and forcing them back into keeping things simpler and all about beating each other up. Oh well, I could go on about this forever. Anyone else have anything to add?
puddleglum
Artisan

Post by puddleglum »

I think it has been pointed out before that the Dwarve's home base has only one conflict-oriented feature, the catapult. Otherwise it's all about LEGO Dwarves doing what they do: mining, forging, and eating. Sure there are some trolls in the set but nothing is stopping us from having them lay down their swords and help the dwarves mine for riches. ;) I would love another dwarf set or two, but I'm not sure what would work best. Maybe something like the Dwarve's Great Hall or something could be cool, but I imagine kids would find it boring.

For the trolls, maybe there could be something like Troll Hunting Party where the trolls are hunting some boar to eat or something, with a small encampment and fire.

As for the skeletons, I get the impression they are on the way out, since every set they are in, except for KKS, is either on clearance or just plain gone from LEGO stores. Either way I'm having trouble imagining an evil wizard reanimating the dead for peaceful purposes. :)
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

I have a feeling 2009 will have at least one skellie set or at the least as the attacking force but we will have to see as they do not come out till June I'd guess. :wink:

I actually like the skellies... they fit perfect as another evil-evil faction. A evil wizard who controls the undead and dragons sounds awesome! I want something like a balrog... if I did not stink at brick built creatures I'd make a few.

I have a hard time seeing the mine as a peaceful set.... Not sure but all the pictures TLC put on the advertising and packaging looks like the Dwarves and Trolls have a major beef with each other and my guess is it is not an engineering dispute.

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
siabur
Laborer

Post by siabur »

Heir of Black Falcon wrote: I actually like the skellies... they fit perfect as another evil-evil faction
I just can't see the Skellies or Trolls as evil. It's stereo typical good=pretty and bad=ugly. I think they just got tired of being oppressed and had to fight for their freedoms.
Back on topic.
I'm not sure where I'm going to put any more sets. Castle or other. Lego has created some nice sets over the past few years which has gotten my spouse and I back into Lego. Now, more small sets would be cool.

Niki
Genuine Draft - A Brick Comic since October 2008
[url=http://www.dreamersink.com][img]http://www.dreamersink.com/gd/image/468x60fftban.jpg[/img][/url]
Lego is my prefered drug of choice.
[url=http://www.brickcomicnetwork.com]BCN: Brick Comic Network[/url]
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

I use the skellies as bad mostly because the fact they are animated by an evil wizard more than visual appeal or anything. For that my orcs/trolls tend to be a somewhat neutral-bad force over simply bad, though they can act as a good army if the situation so fits in the MOC. They at least have villages, towns etc. I have made up for them over simply being looters and raiders.

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...