Cathedral Redux: Construction Phase One

Discussion of personal LEGO Castle creations
plums_deify
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Cathedral Redux: Construction Phase One

Post by plums_deify »

So...ya'll remember my Cathedral. Big ole' white building.

This creation's gone through many phases. From it's humble beginnings, the Cathedral has grown from convention to convention, changing with each showing. But, I'm sad to say...it was time. It was time to tear down the building, sort everything out, and start anew. And while the original took me literally years to build, it only took four hours to tear apart.

Buuuuut I'm not one to let good brick go to waste [And let's face it: I needed a distraction from the rest of my world, which is going the way of the previous Cathedral....]. So I'm rebuilding. And once again, I'm being ambitious.

Thus I present some WIP photos. These aren't necessarily the final pieces, but they're certainly more than simply WIP. I'm putting a lot of thought and care into the interior on this one.

Confessional
Pulpit
Base of a Statue
Repurposed Stained Glass
Apse of the Cross-Design
Floor design work

Overview

What you see is about 8 hours worth of work, from laying the base, outline, foundation, landscaping. I spent about an hour working on layouts on graph paper, to figure out angles and what I want to see.

And that's only three bricks high off the base!

It's 3x3.5 green baseplates, or 96x112 studs. It's actually two modules, for easier transportation.

The design itself is based on real-world designs for the great structures of Europe. Wikipedia has a pretty good article, if you're curious.

So. Any suggestions at this point are quite appreciated. :)

Thanks!
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Be Smart. Be evil.

Sister Brick @ [url=http://www.brothers-brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]!
Remyth
Trade King
Location: At the corner of Nowhere Avenue and Not Close to Anything Street

Post by Remyth »

It is looking great! Not much to say yet, but I'm sure there will be more than enough to say in praise later.

In Christ,
Thomas Wunz <><

"A nameless, shapeless beast from the dark underside of Chat." - Josh Wedin

[url=http://flickr.com/photos/11381994@N00/]Flickr[/url]
draugaer
Apprentice

Post by draugaer »

wow, that must have been difficult to take apart your old cathedral. However it looks like your new project is going to be even more impressive :D.

It looks like you have a great start going I really like how the floor and stained glass are looking so far.

Only thing that seemed strange to me was that it looks like you're place flying buttresses at the ground level? In most medieval churches, the ground level contains only normal buttresses, and the flying buttresses are only placed on the second level.
Not that this is a poor design choice, but you said that you were basing the design off real buildings so I thought I'd point that out.

I'm not sure if you're planning on a gothic style, but it sort of looks like you're headed that direction. Here is a pretty good wiki article: http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gothic_architecture

Also if you're already not planning on it, I think you should add buttresses to the trancepts -similar to the nave.
Teherean
Steward

Post by Teherean »

Pretty nice! :) good luck with this!
AFOL, Brony, Yeah... I am a child at heart!

[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/t-est/LCC ... nfald2.jpg[/img]
RebelRock
Supreme Warlord
Supreme Warlord

Post by RebelRock »

Looks like it's going to be impressive. Are you going to stock up on inverted slopes to build arches with?
Voran_the_Scholar
Landlord

Post by Voran_the_Scholar »

This looks very excellent, Caylin. I love really big cathedrals. Good luck on your building! Can't wait to see the finished product! :D
May the blessing of the Lord be upon you. <><

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/voran/]Flickr[/url]
The Blue Knight
Merchant

Post by The Blue Knight »

WOW!

This made me think about how few such buildings we have. This looks like a tour-de-force. I have noticed the churches and cathedrals getting larger. I look forward to seeing this in March.
Men who lie, merely hide the truth; but men who tell half-lies, have forgotten where they put it--Samuel Clemens
plums_deify
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by plums_deify »

Thanks, all!

Draugaer, that link is quite helpful. I'm not really going for any one style or timeframe, even though I have one in mind. I'm trying to blend all sorts of time periods.

Rocko....oh good GOD many arches. You may not be able to tell from the photos, but I've got arches built into the entire baseline. There'll be plenty...but I'll have to buy more, and some sizes are hard to come by in white.

Legoist
Peasant

Post by Legoist »

I think this is going to end up amazing :)
plums_deify
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Cathedral Redux: Construction Phase Two

Post by plums_deify »

Time for an update!

I put a lot of work into the Cathedral in the time leading up to Brickfest, and I was able to get some supplemental pictures to share. And it was a sunny day, and I wanted to go outside. ;)

So!

Click me for the full gallery!

Stained Glass
Fig's eye view of the banners over the Aisle
Texturing to avoid big white walls
Arches and Glass

But wait! There's more!

Brickfest Action Shot: Construction in Action!
And another one!

Funny story...I overheard a member of the public say, "Oh, look! A torture chamber!" pointing to my Cathedral. And while I've actually built things of that nature, there wasn't one in here. So I really have NO clue what she was looking at. Cause I have a confessional, but no chamber... :o

Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Re: Cathedral Redux: Construction Phase One

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

Wow I guess I missed this last time. Sorry your old one had to go but your new start looks good. It looks amazing. The buttressing is turning out very well. You have so many details in this that I am not even sure where to start. The floor tile designs are very good and the overall look and design of it is stunning. I greatly look forward to seeing your progress with it.

Nice to see a troll engaged in a nice peaceful job as well. They really are such kind and gentle creatures… :wink:

As an aside. If you'd like any cathedral shots of any here in England let me know and I may have some. I tend to visit any medieval building I can when in a town so have a decent photo collection.

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
ThatPrimeGuy
Peasant

Re: Cathedral Redux: Construction Phase One

Post by ThatPrimeGuy »

Looking great, i love the stain glassed windows so far, thanks for reminding me I need to stock up on trans-colored stuff. lol.