Welcome Back!

Rules, Regulations, Announcements, Technical Issues, Etc.
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Re: Welcome Back!

Post by SavaTheAggie »

Handar wrote:Everything about the new boards looks great!

I do, however, have a small question. On the old boards, when I clicked on a link it would automatically open in a new window. Now things automatically open in the same window. Is that a default that was switched during the changeover?
As it stands if anything like that was changed it was not intentional. I'm not sure if the board software supports something like that as a default but I'll look into it.

--Tony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Robin Hood
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Robin Hood »

Well speaking technically, the only problem I have encountered is a slight hiccup on the reply/newtopic button, but Sava already knows that. Also, whenever you click on a thread, the title of the thread isn't on the very top of the web browser. I might be crazy, but I thought the old forum did that.

Visually speaking, well not to be rude, but I really liked the old forum's style and setup a lot more. I understand that the forum had to be upgraded, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. But the old forum style was unique. This one, for the most part, smilies and forum icons not withstanding, just looks like any other old forum. Granted, I am a fellow who really, really, really has a hard time taking change of any sort. (You should have seen me when the parents wanted to change the location of the Christmas decorations)

Dan :wink: (Oh, and as much as I love having Lego smilies here at last, its going to take awhile to get used to having my signature moving all the time.)
I build, therefore I am.

Brave words coming from a guy called grapenuts.
Donut
Councilor

Post by Donut »

The new style looks great and yay for the new smilies. :)
LEGO --- Impossible is Nothing.
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

Robin Hood wrote:Visually speaking, well not to be rude, but I really liked the old forum's style and setup a lot more. I understand that the forum had to be upgraded, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. But the old forum style was unique. This one, for the most part, smilies and forum icons not withstanding, just looks like any other old forum. Granted, I am a fellow who really, really, really has a hard time taking change of any sort. (You should have seen me when the parents wanted to change the location of the Christmas decorations)
I didn't want to rain on the parade, since I generally don't like change, but since RH brought it up, I agree.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

Athos wrote:
Robin Hood wrote:Visually speaking, well not to be rude, but I really liked the old forum's style and setup a lot more. I understand that the forum had to be upgraded, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. But the old forum style was unique. This one, for the most part, smilies and forum icons not withstanding, just looks like any other old forum. Granted, I am a fellow who really, really, really has a hard time taking change of any sort. (You should have seen me when the parents wanted to change the location of the Christmas decorations)
I didn't want to rain on the parade, since I generally don't like change, but since RH brought it up, I agree.

Steve
Seeing as someone else was brave enough to say it :tasty: I agree too...I think the layout on here looks a bit cluttered somehow, and I miss the old colour scheme (this one looks a bit bland in comparison).

I'm honestly not trying to whine because I know how much work must have gone into this upgrade, but seeing as it was brought up I thought I'd comment as well.
RichardAM
Merchant

Post by RichardAM »

Was there work being done a second ago or was it temporal brokey?
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

RichardAM wrote:Was there work being done a second ago or was it temporal brokey?
It was temporary work. In order to access the old forum I had to be able to reinitialize a few settings, but in order to do that I had to set it to the old path (/forum) instead of what it's labeled as now.

I did so so I could take these two screen shots.

Old Classic-Castle.com:

New Classic-Castle.com:

Now I have tried, really hard, not to take the criticism of the new forum personally, as I have been the one doing all the upgrade work. Yes, there's now a background, a few buttons and links have been moved around, and the darker blue bar is gone (which has no equivalent in the new software). but could someone, obviously a lot smarter than me, explain just how in the world those two images are so remarkably different?

--Tony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

stuifzand
Archer

Post by stuifzand »

It's not.
This is a newer version of the old board, and it's fine.
You could consider to make the background of the header the same color as the image that is in it or remove the backgroundcolor from the header image, but other that that, the board looks very nice.

Also, my experience is that people tend to post every little detail, while admins have to look at the overall picture and set priorities.
The board is up, all content is there, we can use the board and it looks great. You guys can have coffee now ;)
If you're a Dutch legofan, visit [url=http://www.lowlug.nl]Lowlug[/url]!
smcginnis
Justiciar

Post by smcginnis »

Just wanted to say that while it'll take some getting used to, I like the new forum just fine.

And I much prefer having links open in the same window—seems much more modern to me. Plus, I just dislike multiple windows (tabs are fine, though).

~smcginnis
Learning French.

Say it "ESS-MICK-GIN-ISS", with a hard "G", as in "get".

I'm a Pumpkin.

[url=http://www.freerice.com/]Free Rice[/url]
DNL
Master Builder
Master Builder

Post by DNL »

I love the new background! It gives the forum a very 'classic' feeling.
Athos
Councilor of the Realm

Post by Athos »

SavaTheAggie wrote: Now I have tried, really hard, not to take the criticism of the new forum personally, as I have been the one doing all the upgrade work. Yes, there's now a background, a few buttons and links have been moved around, and the darker blue bar is gone (which has no equivalent in the new software). but could someone, obviously a lot smarter than me, explain just how in the world those two images are so remarkably different?
Don't take it personally. I think we're just a bunch of malcontents. I realize the forum needed to be upgraded and the upgrade really isn't that bad. Actually, its pretty good. Its just that I don't think I'd be completely happy, unless it looked exactly the same... Which is a completely unreasonable expectation.

I'm already starting to get used to the new forums.

Steve
[url=http://www.johnny-thunder.blogspot.com/]Travel with Johnny Thunder![/url]
Traveler
Reeve

Post by Traveler »

SavaTheAggie wrote:
Handar wrote:Everything about the new boards looks great!

I do, however, have a small question. On the old boards, when I clicked on a link it would automatically open in a new window. Now things automatically open in the same window. Is that a default that was switched during the changeover?
As it stands if anything like that was changed it was not intentional. I'm not sure if the board software supports something like that as a default but I'll look into it.

--Tony

Whilst poking around did you find anything about this?

I had gotten into the habit of clicking links and then closing the window when done looking at a MOC.

I can retrain myself, so it's not a big deal if there's nothing to be done about it. Just curious.
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

Traveler wrote:Whilst poking around did you find anything about this?

I had gotten into the habit of clicking links and then closing the window when done looking at a MOC.

I can retrain myself, so it's not a big deal if there's nothing to be done about it. Just curious.
I have discovered there is no on/off setting for this. However, it can be done by editing several key files inside the forum code which is an aggravating process (mainly because I've been doing it all week). I'm not willing to do it unless there is a large number of people who wish to have this change made.

Perhaps I'll make a poll.

--Tony

Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

I must say the board looks better now than when I saw it a little while ago. The new background and the removal of that big ugly bar have made a major difference; it looks more compact.

At some point, might it be possible to alter the board logo to make it blend in a bit more with that light blue box around it?

Now I have tried, really hard, not to take the criticism of the new forum personally, as I have been the one doing all the upgrade work.
Like I said earlier - I understand and appreciate the effort and work you put into this, and I'm sure everyone else does too. Despite what that flickr comment said, I wasn't being a 'hater', just honest in my opinion (which has improved since then). Please don't take it personally; it wasn't meant to be.

Of course, having had it since 2004, I'll always miss the old layout, but everything must :wave: at some point.
Handar
Archer

Post by Handar »

SavaTheAggie wrote:
Traveler wrote:Whilst poking around did you find anything about this?

I have discovered there is no on/off setting for this. However, it can be done by editing several key files inside the forum code which is an aggravating process (mainly because I've been doing it all week). I'm not willing to do it unless there is a large number of people who wish to have this change made.

Perhaps I'll make a poll.

--Tony
Given that there's an easy work-around (anyone who wants to open a link in a new window or tab can just right click to do so), I suspect that it wouldn't be worth the effort, Tony. I too like the ease of closing a window when I'm done looking at a MOC, but it's probably easier to open each MOC in a new window myself 'manually' rather than go through lines of forum code. Thanks for looking into it at least. :)