LEGO.com Pick A Brick Price Explosion

Open message to The LEGO Company. We make no guarantee that anyone from LEGO will actually read them, let alone respond!
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

LEGO.com Pick A Brick Price Explosion

Post by SavaTheAggie »

In case any of you were unaware, yesterday the prices on the Pick a Brick on LEGO's website skyrocketed by 200-300%. The ambassadors are trying to get some answers, hopefully this is just a glitch or a bad prank gong wrong and not permanent. I will update you when I get any information.

--Tony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Give a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
puddleglum
Artisan

Re: LEGO.com Pick A Brick Price Explosion

Post by puddleglum »

Seriously. 1x2 bricks are $0.28!
"Nothing wrong with me. Not a frog. Nothing frog with me. I'm a respectabiggle . . . Reshpeckobiggle."

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthew_raehl/]flickr[/url]
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

An Update: The folks at S@H and Steve Witt are looking into it, they're just as baffled as we are. We'll know more tomorrow.

--Tony
[url=http://www.ikros.net][img]http://www.ikros.net/links/ikrosbuttonsmall.jpg[/img][/url]

Thor
Foot Soldier

Post by Thor »

I just came on here to voice my disgruntled opionion on how GREEDY TLC had become after being appalled at the PAB prices. I went on their to order some minifig heads adn legs and saw heads had DOUBLED and Legs went from .25 USD to 1.00 USD. I sent them a complaint email. I hope it's a glich and not TLC turning to the Dark Side. Keep us updated aggie
Sir Kohran
Sheriff

Post by Sir Kohran »

This is annoying as I wanted to make an order...hope this is cleared up ASAP.

EDIT: Actually it appears this is only in the USA.
Attli35
Serf

Post by Attli35 »

If it is true, the only thing I can see for the price increase is that the $ has become so inflated (because of the absolutely massive printing of money by the gov.) that the world market is finally catching on. I don't go there anyways. I hope the Bricklink stores don't increase for a few months anyways until their previously bought stock is depleted( No gas station hijinx please).
www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Attli35
Count Blacktron
Sheriff

Post by Count Blacktron »

Wow. I was just going there to actually make a purchase of some bits since the updated inventory... but now? If they don't change 'em back to reasonable rates, Bricklink will forever be my ONLY source.
There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there, you'll be free if you truly wish to be. -Willy Wonka, 1971-
Thor
Foot Soldier

Post by Thor »

Here is my response letter from a frustrated leter I sent Lego. I will boycott LEGO shop at home if these prices are for real. The email states "SEVERAL PRICES" are inaccurate, but if you ask me, there are alot more than several that are really mispriced. I'm really upset with this. I strongly urge anyone who hasn't emailed LEGO to voice your opionion on this matter. Supply and demand, too much supply and not enough deman and we will have the normal affordable prices.

Thank you for your email and interest in LEGO® Pick A Brick and LEGO Digital Designer.

We have recently made several changes to our Pick A Brick selection which include:

500 new elements
The biggest and most comprehensive assortment ever
More colors
Most recent doors and windows
More longer beams to enable larger construction
More accessories, such as head dresses
More mini-figures including girls and children
More cool tires and rims

As we have added these new choices, we have also taken our first-ever price increase in select Pick A Brick elements. During the process of putting these prices in our systems, we found that several items had been mispriced. Please accept our apology for this confusion. We are working to correct this unfortunate mistake.

Thank you for your ongoing interest in the LEGO Company and our products.

Stephanie
LEGO Direct Consumer Services
Garbageman13
Reeve

Post by Garbageman13 »

I hope that message includes off-line pick-a-brick! :D
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/28530273@N07/]~Ye Olde Flickr~[/url]
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

I hope this is an error it seems a bit over the top if not. Thor my guess is that email repy is a form email. Basically someone just cutting and pasting something they think answers your question. I'd guess we need wait for Mr. Witt's reply.

Another thing is that several pieces are now gone, at least on the UK version. The black and silver euro armour are gone.

One pro is that axes, spears and quivers to name a few are now added on PaB!

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
Papy.G
Laborer

Post by Papy.G »

In France is the same, Heir, no more euro armour, no more crownie torso, no more white flags (I needed three for my 6017), well, blue ones will do, until whites will be back.

Animals are here, pannier is too, such as chest, barrel, little legs, and so on.
Also blank signs, wich will be usefull to make custom shields (with cut 3.2mm tube as a handle), at least for circular and square ones.

But I tried to configure one minifig, and calculate its price, and it's over 4 euros (Dk blue legs, blue belt torso, pannier, whip, square sign and pneumatic T, girl wig, beard head), last time I tried, it was around 2 euro with euro armour. :shock:
The chain 16ml, which was already huge, is now 1.37 euro!
If these "errors" settled to the 1st of april, it would have been nothing else but an april fool, seems that TLC is taking us for everyday fools. :mad:

Anyway, in France, prices at S@H are exagerated, looking for two sets to come soon yesterday: MMP, and Basic set with soldier, they are 109.90 and 9.90, but switch to Belgium then they are only 99.90 and 7.90.
Last edited by Papy.G on Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I got to brick free!" Freddie Mercury
[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=PapyG]My Brickshelf[/url]
SavaTheAggie
Lord Sava of Aggie

Post by SavaTheAggie »

Here is the official (and worrisome) reply:
Dear LEGO fans, Based on all the feedback over the past week regarding our new Pick A Brick elements and pricing we will reduce the pricing on LEGO Pick A Brick elements.

There were good reasons behind our decision to raise prices of this relatively operationally complex Pick A Brick service. However, over the last week we have realised, thanks to you, that it was unacceptable to raise the prices so steeply without notice. We have acted quickly and have taken the decision to reduce the pricing on LEGO Pick A Brick elements. The prices cannot return to the original 2008 level but the increases are now much smaller. We are pleased to now offer you the biggest, most comprehensive assortment ever including:
- More colours
- Most recent doors and windows are now available in PAB and MOD
- More longer beams to enable larger constructions
- More accessories (such as hats, wigs and mini figure tools)
- More mini-figs (now with girl and child (short legs))
- More cool tires and rims

We hope to welcome you back to Pick A Brick soon.

Your LEGO team
The prices should be updated a little later today.

--Tony

architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

The prices seem to be updated now on the US Shop at Home. I am excited to see an increased selection of minifig and accessory elements which are useful for castle. The prices on many of the new specialized elements are much more affordable than Bricklink.

Ben
puddleglum
Artisan

Post by puddleglum »

LOL, after all that, now the 1x2 bricks are up to $0.35! (They were $0.28 after the April 1st price increase.) But many other prices seem to have fallen out of the stratosphere, so I'm assuming they are still correcting prices and that 1x2 bricks will also soon have a normal price.

Anyways, here are a few other "lessons learned" type things that LEGO should consider:

- Increasing the prices on April 1st. Really, LEGO?
- Rolling out a half-baked website update where the ONE positive (the huge increase in elements), was difficult to appreciate because all the images were broken.
- Leaving the customer service reps and the LEGO ambassadors completely in the dark, so when customers do ask what's going on, they have nothing to say!

EDIT: YAY HORAYYYYYY!!!! Ice cream is now $0.31, which beats any BL seller in the US. :D
"Nothing wrong with me. Not a frog. Nothing frog with me. I'm a respectabiggle . . . Reshpeckobiggle."

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthew_raehl/]flickr[/url]
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

I am glad some of the items have been dropped more to a level I can enjoy. I will have to stop by in a few days and check if some of the other ones are final prices or just late corrections. The drop in prices makes PAB a great deal and great selection... I have to get an order together soon.

And thanks to Lego for listening to our whining... I mean opinions! :D

You can count on some orders from me from PAB in the future.

Thanks for the quiver and the minilegs especially, hard to find any BL seller within the same prices they have up! I can feel the Lego love!

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...