Castle at Brickworld 2009

Discussion and planning of large-scale Castle Themed displays and events
Crazylegoman
Bailiff

Re: Castle at Brickworld 2009

Post by Crazylegoman »

Mid Knight wrote:Are you trying to get a list of all of the MOCs that will be in the display?
Yes; if you let me know what MOCs you'll be bringing and what size they are, I'll be able to plan the layout much better.
Mid Knight wrote:I am bringing my river again, hopefully the people with the ponds will bring those too. It's on a 32x32 baseplate
Is it the river with the studs-up trans-blue water? I think I still have the pond that I brought last year. By an amazing coincidence the width of your river matched the edge of the pond that was meant to have a river flowing into it.

David
♪ "Whether I'm the last one alive, or ascend before my time
Better I'm the last one alive, than a soul denied" ♫ —Demon Hunter
Mid Knight
Peasant

Post by Mid Knight »

That would be it. ;) I didn't remember who had the ponds, I think there was a second actually. But one should be enough as the other end of the river can flow into the lake/sea/ocean connecting the castle and pirate displays. And ya, those types of coincidences are nice.

Also, I will have 8 vikings, 2 peasants, 3 wizards and 1 witch, and not sure on the exact numbers of knights and forestmen. (a few dozen, I think) I'll also have some dragons and BF cows, pigs, and sheep.

As for what else I will be bringing, since I am limited on bricks (I don't have a job yet, hopefully have an interview at the LEGO store next weekend :)) it will be fairly small, I am thinking some type of ruins at the moment but plans could change.

-Dylan
Save lives. Go vegan.
Saaz
Freeman

Post by Saaz »

I just registered for BW, and plan to be there Thursday through Sunday, though I'm combining it with a vacation with my GF, visiting her family, so I may be pulled away some of the time. (I'm hoping it'll turn out the other way around, that I'll convince them to come to BW, but we'll see. :) )

Coincidentally I built a little Viking village for a display at a Scandinavian festival a few months ago, so I can bring some of that:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/saaz42/346 ... 948832687/

I've never done a collaborative display so I don't know exactly how this works... I guess to start with I'll give you a brain-dump of what I've got:
For the MOC info on the BW site I said 2x3 baseplates (30x45"), which is probably a pretty comfortable area for it to fill, but it's modular, so I could just occupy a certain space, or you could distribute this stuff in a larger village. What I've done the two times I've displayed it was show up, see what size the tables are, then arrange stuff to fit, and add some paths and vegetation to tie everything together a little.
The specific modules are:
  • 16x32 shipbuilders
    16x32 garden
    16x32 pigsty
    16x26 longhouse with cutaway roof and detailed interior
    16x24 longhouse facade, no interior
    2 longboats, one about 64 studs long, one about 80 (I've kind of set up one as a merchant, one as a warship, but of course that can be changed)
    4 sections of Base8 coastline on 16x32 baseplates
    ~58 viking figs, roughly half and half civilian/warrior
A lot of the warriors/civilians could be converted back and forth if we need, because I made the warriors a pretty motley crew with random weapons and sparse armor.

I'll bring the following baseplates:
  • 12 32x32 blue
    2 16x32 blue
    14 32x32 green
    6 16x32 green
I can also bring some some trees, random plants, animals, tan plates for paths, etc to help fill in the landscape

I also have some sections of Base8 hills (visible in the foreground of the pic), but I'd rather not bring those since they take up quite a bit of space, and then the rest of the layout needs to be elevated, and the stands for that take even more space. But if you'd like me to bring them, I'll try to make space for them.

Let me know if you need any more info. Or if anything is particularly needed for the display, I'd be glad to try to build/bring more stuff.

-Eric
Mid Knight
Peasant

Post by Mid Knight »

I built some ruins (complete with ghost and skeleton :)) on a 32x32 baseplate. I really just threw them together using mainly spare parts from King's Castle Siege and 1x2x5s and 1x6x5s so it's not that great, but I think it turned out well enough to do its job so I am as of now planning to bring it. I'll see if I get around to building anything else.

Nice village, Saaz. :)

-MK
Save lives. Go vegan.
DaleDVM
Journeyman

Post by DaleDVM »

Hey David,

Goodness I have been off the forums for a couple of months now. You can use my vikings if you would like for the collaborative display. I've got a hundred or so. If you want one of my other factions to fight with the vikings that is OK too. Just let me know.

I am going to be setting up a castle display on my own MOC table. It is 3 tables long and consists of my skeleton tower in the round I had last year, a huge castle, a large town, and lots of landscaping inbetween. The only hard part will be getting it to the event! I'm rigging up my trailer to carry layers of MOCs. I hope I'm able to get all the work done that I need to.

If I can I will try to put together something for the viking village.
Crazylegoman
Bailiff

Post by Crazylegoman »

Saaz wrote:I built a little Viking village for a display at a Scandinavian festival a few months ago, so I can bring some of that:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/saaz42/346 ... 948832687/

I've never done a collaborative display so I don't know exactly how this works... I guess to start with I'll give you a brain-dump of what I've got:
For the MOC info on the BW site I said 2x3 baseplates (30x45"), which is probably a pretty comfortable area for it to fill, but it's modular, so I could just occupy a certain space, or you could distribute this stuff in a larger village. What I've done the two times I've displayed it was show up, see what size the tables are, then arrange stuff to fit, and add some paths and vegetation to tie everything together a little.

I'll bring the following baseplates:
  • 12 32x32 blue
    2 16x32 blue
    14 32x32 green
    6 16x32 green
I can also bring some some trees, random plants, animals, tan plates for paths, etc to help fill in the landscape

I also have some sections of Base8 hills (visible in the foreground of the pic), but I'd rather not bring those since they take up quite a bit of space, and then the rest of the layout needs to be elevated, and the stands for that take even more space. But if you'd like me to bring them, I'll try to make space for them.
I really like your Viking village. That's exactly the kind of thing we're looking for people to bring to the display this year. I'll go ahead and plan for it to occupy a 2X3 BP area. We can always change things if we need to during setup.

Any baseplates and trees/plants are always welcome. I think a Castle display looks so much better when you have all the blank table spaces filled in with greenery. :) If your Base8 hills are crunching your space, then don't worry about them. We want everyone to fully enjoy Brickworld, and while there's always some "work" involved with setting up large LEGO displays, we don't want it to become the kind of work that's a burden and takes away from the fun.
Mid Knight wrote:I built some ruins (complete with ghost and skeleton :)) on a 32x32 baseplate. I really just threw them together using mainly spare parts from King's Castle Siege and 1x2x5s and 1x6x5s so it's not that great, but I think it turned out well enough to do its job so I am as of now planning to bring it.
That's the great thing about ruins...they don't have to be that great--they're ruins! :D
DaleDVM wrote:You can use my vikings if you would like for the collaborative display. I've got a hundred or so. If you want one of my other factions to fight with the vikings that is OK too. Just let me know.

If I can I will try to put together something for the viking village.
It's like my grandpappy always used to say: "You can never have to many Vikings!" :twisted: If you could whip together even a little shack for the Viking village, that would be great. If you put 100 Viking minifigs on the display, but don't have anything of yours for them to gather around, that might increase the chance that they would get mixed up with someone else's Viking figs.

The Brickworld coordinators have a draft of how the display areas will be set up. As soon as I have confirmation on table arrangements, I'll post a layout plan.

Thanks everyone!

David
ImageImage
Crazylegoman
Bailiff

Post by Crazylegoman »

I wanted go give an update on some upcoming deadlines.

There are only 3 days left to register for Brickworld. If you register & pay on or before May 28, 2009, you will be guaranteed an engraved name badge & a "goodie bag". We currently have 455 registered attendees (which is delightfully overwhelming us coordinators).

The group rate at the Westin is only available until May 27, 2009. Signing up for a room through Brickworld gets you the $119 per night rate instead of the $238 per night rate, so you don't want to miss that. If you have any trouble signing up through the Westin's website, call in your reservation instead. (Make sure to tell them you're with Brickworld.)

**UPDATE** One of the hotel managers at the Westin has informed us that "they are getting short on rooms for Friday and Saturday nights. He thinks they will sell out of both those nights."

Hope to see many of you there,

David Gregory
Brickworld Castle Coordinator

ImageImage
Last edited by Crazylegoman on Tue May 26, 2009 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mid Knight
Peasant

Post by Mid Knight »

Looks like all I will have this year is the river (and of course a bunch of minifigs), as my ruins have a ways to go and I need more parts for them. and of course I need to save my money for BrickWorld. I will have more stuff next year.
Save lives. Go vegan.
Garbageman13
Reeve

Post by Garbageman13 »

Crazylegoman wrote:
Garbageman13 wrote:...will their be a C-C photo shoot of all the members sig-figs? Or was that only for Brickfest?
We haven't done one in the past at Brickworld, but I don't see why we couldn't. We had sig figs on the layout last year, but they were all over the place battling orcs. :D

David

Haha, that's sweet! Good luck with this layout, and thanks for the response. Too bad I wasn't going, making layouts would rock. They have such a fun feel to them, that I don't see in many MOCs, so I'll be looking forward to seeing it!

God Bless.

-Garbageman13
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/28530273@N07/]~Ye Olde Flickr~[/url]
Aculon
Freeman

Post by Aculon »

Crazylegoman wrote:
Garbageman13 wrote:...will their be a C-C photo shoot of all the members sig-figs? Or was that only for Brickfest?
We haven't done one in the past at Brickworld, but I don't see why we couldn't. We had sig figs on the layout last year, but they were all over the place battling orcs. :D

David
Haha! That's pretty cool! I hope the castle display goes well!

-Aculon
-Aculon
"It's risky, but I get my laughs."
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/37295785@N03/]~El Flickr De Aculon~[/url]
[url=http://brickblogs.stingclan.com/brickniques/index.php][img]http://stingclan.com/BrickniquesWhite.PNG[/img][/url]
DaleDVM
Journeyman

Post by DaleDVM »

Two weeks and counting. I hope I can get a little something done for the viking display. time is tight just getting my MOCs completed.
kelderic
Knight Bannerett

Post by kelderic »

Well, It is a bit late so say, but I was wrong when I said I'd be coming. I couldn't get off work, gar! Next year, I am requesting off at least 3 months in advance.

So make sure ya'll take good pictures! :)

Kelderic
Battling with college to try and prevent the dark age.
Saaz
Freeman

Post by Saaz »

Sorry for the last-minute addition, but I recently built a haunted tree that I'll bring along... maybe we can fit it into the display.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/saaz42/356 ... hotostream

David, if you're trying to organize the layout ahead of time, it's on a 16x32 baseplate, but would probably look best with a few other trees around it, say a 48x48 area or a little larger. I was already planning to bring a few brick-built trees like the ones in the photo.

I'll be heading out Saturday, so I would need a reply by then, and don't have much time for building, but is there anything that would be particularly good to bring along? More green baseplates? Brick-built or molded trees? Wall sections?
Crazylegoman
Bailiff

Post by Crazylegoman »

Saaz wrote:Sorry for the last-minute addition, but I recently built a haunted tree that I'll bring along... maybe we can fit it into the display.

David, if you're trying to organize the layout ahead of time, it's on a 16x32 baseplate, but would probably look best with a few other trees around it, say a 48x48 area or a little larger. I was already planning to bring a few brick-built trees like the ones in the photo.
Looks great! We can definitely use it in the Castle layout. I have several baseplates worth of regular LEGO trees and plants, but brick built vegetation always trumps those.
Saaz wrote:I'll be heading out Saturday, so I would need a reply by then, and don't have much time for building, but is there anything that would be particularly good to bring along? More green baseplates? Brick-built or molded trees? Wall sections?
Yes, yes and yes. I don't have a solid count on how many blank green BP's will be showing up, so more of those can't hurt. ANY trees are welcome, as we never seem to have too many of those either. We will be building a CCC wall, so any wall sections are also welcome.

Thanks,
David
Kevin1990
Grounded

Post by Kevin1990 »

Saaz wrote:Sorry for the last-minute addition, but I recently built a haunted tree that I'll bring along... maybe we can fit it into the display.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/saaz42/356 ... hotostream

I'll be heading out Saturday, so I would need a reply by then, and don't have much time for building, but is there anything that would be particularly good to bring along? More green baseplates? Brick-built or molded trees? Wall sections?

Wow great Ent, this is always cool if this is on a scenerio, also I like the idea with the light :D
[url=http://www.brickmania.com/community/]Top Poster on Brickmania[/url]
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/feedback.asp?u=Kevin1990]Proud Briclinker[/url]

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Kevin1990]Brickshelf[/url]