What Get's You Motivated to Build?

Discussion of general LEGO topics
Garbageman13
Reeve

What Get's You Motivated to Build?

Post by Garbageman13 »

I'm pretty sure this would be the best spot to post, unless Medieval Life might be better?

My main question here is, what get's you motivated to build castle themed MOCs? Movies, pictures, games, real life, or some other stuff? What?

I've especially gotten inspired by a recent, Lord of The Rings themed video game, which might I add, has awesome structures and scenary. I've also been inspired by several pictures of actual castles. But the one thing that get's me motivated the most, is the awesome MOCs I've seen some builders post(Take SlyOwl, Daniel DNL, and DARKspawn for example.). Unforetunatly, do to my recent mood, I haven't done much Castle building of late, although since CCC6 I've done alot of test and unfinished builds which I were never finished. :cry:

But back too the subject I was originally discussing, what get's you motivated? I think sharing this information(If you're willing. :wink: ) might help some people here find inspiration and motivation for building, and help those who are in need of learning and thinking up new techniques. So, I'm guessing in posting this, this will have some constructive help on the community, however small it may be... Or atleast I hope. :wink:

God bless ya'll.

-Garbageman13
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/28530273@N07/]~Ye Olde Flickr~[/url]
Sir BrickBuilder

Re: What Get's You Motivated to Build?

Post by Sir BrickBuilder »

What gets me motivated to build is...... Just wanting to have that enjoyable complete feeling of making those old castle houses medieval streets and putting the finishing detail on a castle wall or making a under siege castle scene Ahh thats what I like.....
Hob Took
Reeve

Post by Hob Took »

I have yet to understand what motivates me to build. Just some days I want to build anything then other days I'm wondering why all this LEGO is crowding my desk. Probably if the day has gone well I'll be more creative and thus more motivated to build. Looking at other's creations sometimes motivates me not to build as their creations are just too good.

-Hob 2.0
rogue27
Admin
Admin

Post by rogue27 »

Ideas motivate me to build.

Sometimes I see a part I don't like and think of ways to use it. (Secretly hoping that if I build an awesome MOC with a part I can drive up demand for that part on bricklink and sell mine off. No such luck.)

Sometimes I get a picture in my head and try to build it. (They never look as good in real life)

Sometimes a contest inspires me to build something creative that meets the criteria.
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=rogue]Bricklink Store[/url] - [url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=rjcarello]Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
Lewa Rocks
Steward

Post by Lewa Rocks »

When I see cool MOCs on here, Brickshelf, Flickr, etc. That's is what motivates me.
:eyebrows:
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

Invariably it's stories. I've always been attracted most to the play-aspect of LEGO. The building aspect, though integral, always serves the playing (which might be why the building slowed down after I left home... not so much that I stopped having time--though I did--as that I stopped playing as much). This is why I'm more of an army-builder than a Castle builder, in my own estimation.

The stories could be anything, though... home-written, movies, TV, novels, webcomics, other people's MOCs...
ThatPrimeGuy
Peasant

Post by ThatPrimeGuy »

Lewa Rocks wrote:When I see cool MOCs on here, Brickshelf, Flickr, etc. That's is what motivates me.
:eyebrows:
Pretty much this.
Memsochet
Laborer

Post by Memsochet »

I just enjoy building and creating. I suck at writing and my even my stick figures look like something a 2yr-old tried to draw while running down the hall. So I build. I'm also more of an engineer than an architect, so I see things that look cool and see if I can make them, instead of coming up with my own ideas. MOCPages, Brickshelf, and forms like this one inspire me to keep going when I get stuck. My current goal is to build my collection & get to the point where I have the skill to build a small fraction of what I see here.

I draw my inspiration from stuff I've made in the past, w/e pops in my head, stories I've read/seen/hear about, games I've played, other MOCs, and finally Official Lego Sets. For example what I'm building for the battle scene contest comes from a very popular Notorious Monster fight in FFXI which I played for years.
the enigma that is badger
Apprentice

Post by the enigma that is badger »

Formendacil wrote:Invariably it's stories. I've always been attracted most to the play-aspect of LEGO
Stories and character drive my building as well, to the point where when I settle in for a nice long build, I inevitably throw in an appropriately-themed DVD for inspiration.
For no one, no one in this world can you trust. Not men, not women, not beasts. This you can trust.
[url=http://flickr.com/photos/enigmabadger/]Flickr[/url]
Colonel Strider
Serf

Post by Colonel Strider »

Mostly boredom with old mocs
~Strider~
Garbageman13
Reeve

Post by Garbageman13 »

the enigma that is badger wrote:
Formendacil wrote:Invariably it's stories. I've always been attracted most to the play-aspect of LEGO
Stories and character drive my building as well, to the point where when I settle in for a nice long build, I inevitably throw in an appropriately-themed DVD for inspiration.
Yes a DVD would motivate me alot, especially if it was action packed!
One thing I forgot to add was that I listen to music while building. Who knows if it helps much or not, but it certainly makes it more enjoyable. :D

God Bress

-Garbageman13
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/28530273@N07/]~Ye Olde Flickr~[/url]
Rick-Ricks
Tastes good with ketchup

Post by Rick-Ricks »

My history class. :tasty: I know it sounds weird. We where studying Europe and I kept asking my teacher for spelling on city names and such. I would then search for pictures of them for reference.
-Ricks