My lego castle wargame.

LEGO gaming, including group role playing games
Albatross_Viking
Gentleman

My lego castle wargame.

Post by Albatross_Viking »

This is an "updated" version of the rules ive already posted, with some bugs noticed by Josh Wedin and Aliencat (thanks for the help!), and some noticed by myself while testing it fixed. Ive also added two new units. Oh btw. can anyone here test it for me? i Havent found anyone to play with yet, so the first test became a
one-man-controling-3-sides-game :( . Well, heres the rules:
The different units:

Archer (bow, quiver, helmet):
LP: 7
A: 2
D: 1
R: 24
S: 6

Swordsman (sword, triangular shield, helmet):
A: 3
D: 2
S: 8

Spearman (spear, triangular shield, helmet):

Lancer (lance, visor helmet, horse w. saddle):
LP: 10
S: 11
Cavalry Charge:
+2A if unit moves 4 or more steps in order to perform the attack.

Crossbowman (crossbow, quiver, helmet):
R: 17
Armor-Piercing Bolts:
Attack ignores 1D (only works vs. units with 2D or more)

Pikeman (pike [spear on oar-holder], helmet):
R: 7
Long Pike:
+2A vs. cavalry.

Standard bearer (lance with flag on, helmet):
A: 0
National Sign:
+1 morale* to all allied troops in 10 steps range from the standard bearer.

Two-handed-swordsman (large sword, helmet):
Great-sword:
+1A vs. infantry.

Commander (sword, visor helmet, oval shield, breastplate, horse w. bording if mounted):
LP: 12-14
A: 4
D: 4
National Sign:
+1 morale* to allied troops in 10 steps range of the commander.
New Orders:
2 times a round you can make 1 more turn with 1 unit. (cannot be used by the commander himself, but can be used by the same unit 2 times in a round.
When 1 "new orders" have been used, it is indicated by placing a marker besides the generals name on the armycard (theyre removed by the start of a new round).

Shield Guard (tower shield or oval shield, helmet, sword):
D: 4
Large Shield/Shield Wall:
Any unit in 3S or less away form a Shield Guard gets +1D against enemy attacks,
as long as it is the 3S or less close to the Shield Guard

Axeman (“guard axe” or “Viking axe”, helmet, triangular shield):
Shield-grabbing Axe:
The blade of an axe is good for grabbing an opponents
shield and thus push it down. Attacks on
units with 2D or more ignores 1D

Officer (max 1 per. army) (visor helmet, sword, oval shield)
LP: 10
D: 3
New Leader:
As the second commanding troop of the regiment, an officer can be promoted to leader, in case the commander dies. However, Officers doesnt hav the “National Sign” ability,
and their “New Orders” can only be used once a turn. But if you have an officer in your army, both him and the kommander have to die before your units gets the -1 morale for having no leader.

LP = life points (how many hits unit can take before dieing)
A = attack (highest amount of damage unit can deal)
D = defense (highest number of attacks unit can block)
R = range (highest amount of steps away unit can hit opponents)
S = speed/steps (highest amount of steps unit can walk)

All the above explanations (except the one for LP) means max… pr. turn.

Rules:

Riding:

Any kind of unit (except two-handed-swordsmen, pikemen and standard bearers) can be mounted on a horse. If a mounted unit dies, the horse stay on the battlefield and can be used by other units (or there can be some horses without riders placed around the battlefield from the start, ready to be used). A unit mounted on a horse gets:
+2 LP and + 2 S. Lancers have to be mounted all the time. Mounted units cannot be on a battlement or other place, where the players can see it is unrealistic. F.x. climbing up a ladder is a little impossible for a horse. Same rules of bonuses count for commanders, ie, a commander on foot have 12 LP, while a commander on a horse have 14.

Battles:
Lets say a swordsman (3A/2D) attacks a spearman (2A/2D).
The player who has the swordsman takes 3 normal 6-sided dices (one for each A of the swordsman) and the player who has the spearman takes 2 of the same kind of dices (one for each D of the unit).
They then throw these dices without looking at the result.
Then both players take 1 dice, compare the number of eyes and remove the used dices. If attackers dice shows most eyes, it means that attacker has hit defender. If defenders dice shows most eyes, the strike has been blocked. Continue doing this until all dices have been used (swordsman has 1A more than spearman has D, so that is automatically 1 damage on spearman). The result could be something like this:
Dice 1: Attacker gets a 4, defender gets a 2.
Dice 2: Attacker gest a 1, defender gets a 5.
Dice 3: No more dices for defender, attacker automatically wins this one.

In this case the result would be 2 damage on the spearman (1 for dice 2, 1 for dice 3)
If attacker can only see something of defender, defender gets +1D.

Army Setup:

The size of the players armies are decided by the chosen amount of points available for each players. You automatically have a commander (if you want, you can give him a special name) This is the prices for the different units:

Spearman: 60 pt.
Swordsman: 100 pt.
Archer: 125 pt.
Lancer: 150 pt.
Pikeman: 150 pt.
Crossbowman: 150 pt.
Two-handed-swordsmen: 150 pt.
Standard Bearer: 125 pt.
Shield Guard: 150 pt.
Axeman: 125 pt.
Officer: 200pt.
(these are just an idea for the cost of the units)

This is an example of a players Army-Card, a piece of paper that show wich units he/she has, how many hits they have taken, how many hits they can take (LP) and how many enemies they have killed:
(1000 pt. army)
Player 1
(unit type)-----------------(hits taken)----------------------(LP)----------(kills)
Pikeman 2: /7
Archer 1 I I I /7 I I
Archer 2: I /7
Archer 3: /7
Standard bearer 1: I I I /7
Valdemarr Barel(commander): I I I I /12-14 I I I

In this case, pikeman 1 will be removed from the battlefield, since he has already taken the maximum 7 hits. To prevent confusion, it will also be a good idea to make cross out his name on the Army-Card. Since player 1s troops are named with numbers (f.x. swordsman 1, swordsman 2), player 2s troops has to be named with letters
(f.x. pikeman a, pikeman b).
The units number or letter is indicated on it with a small piece of paper on double-sided tape with the number/letter on wich is put somewhere on the unit. In case of too large armies for the number of letters in the alfabet, continue like this: after f.x. swordsman z, you just make swordsman a1. Alternatively ( in case of small armies), if you don’t have an army of clones, you can write down what makes a minifig look otherwise than an other (fx., 1 archer with black hair, 1 with grey hair, 1 smiley and so on)

Ranks:
All units start on rank 1 (soldier). If a unit has killed 2 enemies, it gets to rank 2 (warrior), and if it has killed 4 enemies, it gets to rank 3 (veteran). A units rank is indicated with a S (soldier), a W (warrior) or a V (veteran) besides its name.
A soldier has the normal 7 LP. A warrior gets +1 LP.
A veteran gets additional +1 LP.

Morale:

Morale is increased by standard bearers and commanders ability “National Sign”.
For each plus in morale a unit has, it gets +1A and +1D. (therefore -1 in morale gives -1A and -1D)

Range:

Range indicates how long away a unit can attack from. Archers and crossbowmen have a special range, while all other units have to stand so near to their target that it looks like they can realistically use their weapon. (f.x., you can`t fight with a pike with one hand or use it while only holding it just right on the back-part of it).

Siege weapons:

Siege weapons include rams, catapults and siege towers/ ladders. When climbing on a siege ladders, there are two options for movement. The first one is: all units speed is halved, and 1S is like 1 cm. movement on the ladder. The other one, and most simple, is: it takes 3 turns to climb a siege ladder. The players decide wich to use from the start of the game. The chosen rule counts for normal ladders too in case of option 2, it takes 1 turn to climb a normal ladder).The number of units required to carry a ram or push a siege tower w.m. is 4. Rams, catapults and siege towers/ladders have 6 S. Since it is lighter, the number of units required to carry a siege ladder is only 2, but the D bonus from siege ladders is only 1. To prevent that units using a siege weapon dies too easily, all units carrying a ram or pushing a siege tower gets +2 D. Since it is lighter, the number of units required to carry a siege ladder is only 2, but the D bonus from siege ladders is only 1. Mounted units cant carry/push siege weapons or climb on a siege ladder/tower. A ram can hit a gate once per turn from and with the turn it reaches the gate. A gate has 4 LP, and can only be damaged by rams, wich deal 1 damage on the gate each round. A ram cant attack the gate in the same round it reaches it. A catapult has 6A, and a chosen amount of ammunition. It takes 1 turn to load a catapult (starts loaded). As other siege weapons, transportable catapults require 4 units to push. These also counts for the guys firing it. In case of stationary catapults, there is needed 1 unit to fire it.

Height advantage:

If a unit is more than 5 bricks higher up than the one its fighting against, it gets +1A/D. (if attacking, +1A, if defending, +1D). Also here counts this rule: think logically! Fx. cant a swordsman standing on a 7 bricks high wall hit anyone on the ground.

Minimum range:

Archers and crossbowmen have a minimum range of 6S between it and its target. Catapults have 40S range and 10S minimum range (its experimental).

Other stuff:

One step means either one dot, stud or whatever you call those small round thingys on the lego plates, or 1 cm. You decide.

If a players commander dies, all that players units gets -1 morale.

Ranged units cannot move and attack in the same turn.

tell me what yuo think about em!.

A_V
Last edited by Albatross_Viking on Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lenfel Militia & Minister of Information Distribution
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/t-est/LCC ... ald_fl.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/friskywhi ... banner.jpg[/img]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/56213339@N07/]FlickR[/url]
Ganon
Serf

Re: My lego castle wargame.

Post by Ganon »

Pretty good rules, Viking!
"I'm just an archer trying to make a living."- Dietrich von Heckloch (Heck-lock)*
*= A character from my story I'm writing. (It's still in it's baby steps.)
Albatross_Viking
Gentleman

Thanks. Test it if you get time to :wink:

A_V
ChromeKnight
Gong Farmer

Post by ChromeKnight »

Looks good. and plays ok.

I have a few questions though.
1/ I assume the profile for the lancer has the horse bonuses already added.
Spearman: LP:7 A: 2 D: 2 S: 8
Lancer: LP:10 A: 2 D: 2 S: 11
and
A unit mounted on a horse gets: +2 LP and + 2 S. Lancers have to be mounted all the time.
If so shouldn't the stats be
LP: 9 A: 2 D: 2 S: 10?
Also, as written, it doesn't say how many steps the lancer needs to move to get the attack bonus?

2/ Not sure what you mean in the commanders profile by
New Orders:2 times a round you can make 1 more draw with 1 unit.
Do you mean a soldier can take another turn?
Can this be used on the Commander himself?
Can it be used twice on the same unit in the same turn?

3/ In the ''Shield Waller'' or perhaps Shield Guard?
Does the guard himself benefit from his special ability?
Any unit half-covered from an opponents attack by a
“Shield Waller” gets +1D against the attack.
Is that already taken into account in his profile or is it extra?
I had some figs with big shields, it's hard to get them to ''cover'' even a nearby fig.
Are you thinking some kind of range on this ability? Say 3s?

4/The combat mechanism is good, kinda like the mechanic used in Risk. In Risk though, you
don't need to 'hide' the dice. Just take the attacker's highest and defender's highest, compare
and move to the next highest for each and compare.
You didn't say what happens with tied rolls. I assume that if attacker and defender's dice have
the same number of spots the defender wins the tie? That would be fair.

5/ Morale is fun, but I think it's just one more thing to keep track of. Especially after a
commander has died? It was hassle constantly adding or subtracting dice because of
being near a commander or banner we kept forgetting. Perhaps just promote the soldier with
the most number of kills to the job, without giving him any bonuses.

Anyway, my brother and I played a quick game, 7 guys a side, to test the rules out.
I had
Commander, Standard Bearer, Archer, Swordsman, Lancer, Greatsword, Shield Guard (800pts)
He had
Commander, Standard Bearer, Crossbowman, 2 Spearmen, Lancer, Pikeman, Axeman (820pts)

It was pretty balanced but took a long time to kill people, which I assume is what you want given
the rules are written for small skirmish size armies rather than large blocks of troops clashing. It was
hard to score 7 hits on each fig. We played over an area that was way too big (we're used to playing other
lego wargames), it was about 4 baseplates by 4. this game fits into a 2x2 baseplate footprint.
(the 32x32stud ones) eventually we just picked the figs up and moved them all a lot closer, it was
gonna take ages to get them into combat.

Some other notes.
Our standard bearers were each the first to die, which cut down on remembering to take the morale bonus
but seemed a shame. The archer did the best because no one got close, I intercepted anyone heading his way.
Perhaps crossbows and archers should be S:8 but they can move or shoot.
Anyway it was fun, I hope you find someone to play against.
Albatross_Viking
Gentleman

Thanks chromeknight, glad you liked it. Ive edited some of the things you mentioned.
And yes, if the number of eyes are equal, the defender wins.
And it is for small armies. if you wanna make it with larger ones, just increase the units speed and decrease their LP.
(ive also added a new unit. try to find him :) )

A_V