Dark Ages

Discussion of general LEGO topics
thedevil44
Serf

Dark Ages

Post by thedevil44 »

I was just wondering what set or theme brought everyone out of their dark ages. I'm sorry if this is already a thread I did a quick search, but didn't find anything exactly on this topic.

Sharing time...

I recently came out of my own dark ages. I happened to be walking through Target one day with my ex-girlfriend and was looking for something to entertain myself with that evening. I stumbled across a lego castle display at the end of a toy aisle and decided that could be entertaining. It just happened to be the target exclusive release of the Dwarves' Mine. After bringing that set home and building it I was suprised by how awesome that set was and then went about collecting every other current castle set. I guess that was the beginning of the end for me :wink:
Paradosis
Laborer

Re: Dark Ages

Post by Paradosis »

In my case there was no one set or theme that brought me out of my dark ages. I was initially forced to go into my dark ages by my mother, who thought I was too old to be playing with Lego at the age of 14. After that I remained in my dark ages for about a decade. For whatever reason it wasn't until I was about 24 or 25 that it occured to me that I was an adult and was free to return to Lego if I wanted to. The first sets I bought after that were on eBay, when I started to purchase all the sets that I remembered fondly playing with when I was younger, and a few that I had never had the chance to get before.
The Shadow Knight
Archer

Post by The Shadow Knight »

KKII Theme brought me out of my dark ages. I don't really like the sets now, but I guess when I was younger I liked goofier things and it loured me back into Lego castle.
-May your winds be fair !
puddleglum
Artisan

Post by puddleglum »

Star Wars, my freshman year in college. Specifically, 7110 Landspeeder and 7130 Snowspeeder. The fusion of two childhood passions was irresistible! :)

The small creator sets lured me out of my recent dim age of 3 years last summer.
"Nothing wrong with me. Not a frog. Nothing frog with me. I'm a respectabiggle . . . Reshpeckobiggle."

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthew_raehl/]flickr[/url]
Blueandwhite
CC Mascot Maker

Post by Blueandwhite »

This topic has been done several times before. If your interested try these:

Dark Ages 2006,
Dark Ages 2005,

and of course;

Dark Ages 2003.

Later.
Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch Batman!!

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.c ... ueandwhite]My Brickshelf Gallery[/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwflickrc ... eandwhite/]My Flickr[/url]
Memsochet
Laborer

Post by Memsochet »

My dim & dark ages both came because of school. During my latter years of HS I had a job and didn't have that much time for them, and so since I only got Legos as gifts I didn't get any for a very long time. Then when I went on a 2yr church mission, I didn't touch them until I got home. My mom had actually gotten me a Technic set, and my 1st night home I built every model that could be built with it. But after that and a few rebuilds of some MOCs I had before my mission, I didn't touch my Legos(other than to move them in their toolbox with me from Apt to Apt) until after I finished my degree. The 1st Christmas after I grad'd, the TRU in my town was going out of business and I bought 3 sets for myself(I just took apart the last of the 3 a couple of weeks ago). After that it was another dim age(I only touched my Legos when my nephews were over), until about a year ago. I had just moved to a new apartment and wanted to decorate it with things that represented me. So I bought a few eBay lots and here I am.
g2
Sir Postsalot

Post by g2 »

Paradosis wrote:... it occured to me that I was an adult and was free to return to Lego if I wanted to.
This reminds me of myself. It was such a happy day, when I "allowed" myself to return my favourite toy of all time, and it didn't matter that I was an adult. It was now acceptable.

Paradosis wrote:The first sets I bought ... were on eBay, when I started to purchase all the sets that I remembered fondly playing with when I was younger, and a few that I had never had the chance to get before.
Yes, yes, yes, eBay allowed me to buy a lot of sets, which I never got the chance to buy, when I was younger. It is also a great place to amass a lot of minifigs, which I only dreamed about as a kid.
DraconisTerrena
Apprentice

Post by DraconisTerrena »

It was done by a single set: the skeleton prison carriage. I happened to see it in Target, and my jaw dropped. Fortunately, I have an indulgent wife. ;-)
"A warrior is always joyful because his love is unalterable and his beloved, the earth, embraces him and bestows upon him inconceivable gifts."
-- Don Juan, Tales of Power by Carlos Castaneda
Aliencat
Josh's Minion

Post by Aliencat »

A few years ago when I was living in the US of A, my wife (my girlfriend at the time, my wife now) and I were getting a haircut at the local barber's, and of course she took a lot longer than I did, so tired of waiting, I went for a stroll around the strip mall the barber's was in, and I walked into a hobby store that a friend of mine worked at, to have a chat with him while I had to wait. Then I noticed they also sold LEGO there, and my friend, a good salesman as he was, saw me looking at the set and commented something "Yeah that LEGO is cool stuff", so I told him I had enjoyed LEGO throughout my childhood, and he told me to buy a set for nostalgia's sake.
I really couldn't resist, there was so much cool set. I ended up buying a Creator set, one of those with 6 models in one set, and had a lot of fun building it the moment we got home, I felt just like I did in the old days if I had gotten a new set from my parents or something. So that's when the initial buying spree started. Indeed, old sets that I wanted as a kid but never had were bought on Ebay, new sets that looked cool were bought at any and every toystore in the area, and some friends in the area gave me their old LEGO they still had in the basement or attic. I was so excited about it, I even got my wife to sit down and build with me :D

While browsing the internet for more more more LEGO I unavoidably found the AFOL communities littered throughout the world wide web. And that was the end of my dark age right there.
Between plotting to kill you all and chasing balls of yarn, I also build [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/30639040@N02/albums]MOCs[/url]

[img]http://stopthetrack.com/lego/embassy/alienambassadorpng.png[/img]
AhabDarab
Villein

Post by AhabDarab »

Honestly, I have had 2 seperate dark ages. My first ended in the late 80's with the original Black Falcon's Fortress. My second ended last year with the Dwarven Mine.

Ahab out.........................
"We Set the Standards"