Clean, white background

Discussion of photography, editing and publishing techniques
leaf_of_lire
Reeve

Clean, white background

Post by leaf_of_lire »

I think this is in the right section...

Anyways, after looking at a lot of MOCs, I was just wondering how people get that clean white background. I've been trying to figure out but I have yet to find the answer. So, if anyone can tell me, please post here. Thanks.
Sir Dano
Village Idiot
Village Idiot

Re: Clean, white background

Post by Sir Dano »

I use a white posterboard, then adjust the brightness and contrast in Photoshop.

Plenty more advice in the Publishing forum as well. :)
Formendacil
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by Formendacil »

leaf_of_lire wrote:I think this is in the right section...
Not quite... As this pertains to the publishing of MOCs, and not to the MOCs themselves*, it is more appropriate to the Publishing Forum.

~Michael A. Joosten - Moderator

*Assuming, of course, no one here builds their white backgrounds out of LEGO.
Aliencat
Josh's Minion

Post by Aliencat »

Formendacil wrote:Assuming, of course, no one here builds their white backgrounds out of LEGO.
You have found my secret :(
Between plotting to kill you all and chasing balls of yarn, I also build [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/30639040@N02/albums]MOCs[/url]

[img]http://stopthetrack.com/lego/embassy/alienambassadorpng.png[/img]
Hob Took
Reeve

Post by Hob Took »

The easiest and I think the best way is to have a good physical backdrop such as a sheet or large white paper, but if you're luckey enough to have Photoshop then the process isn't that hard just takes practice to make it look good. I use the Photoshop lasso tools to "cut out" the creation from the background. I then open up a new file with whatever background I want and place the cut out creation on top of the background. Some tweaking is usually required to make the creation look good against the background (adjusting brightness, contrast, ect.)

Original Picture
Cut Out
Final Picture

If you do not have Photoshop there are plenty of free programs out there. Many people seem to be prefer GIMP though I have no experience with it and so cannot say how good it is. If you don't want to have anything to do with any programs there are some people who may be willing to give some of their time to help you out and edit your pictures.

Hope some of this helps!

-Hob Took
Last edited by Hob Took on Sun May 03, 2009 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
DNL
Master Builder
Master Builder

Post by DNL »

If you do not have Photoshop there are plenty of free programs out there. Many people seem to be prefer GIMP though I have no experience with it and so cannot say how good it is. If you don't want to have anything to do with any programs there are some people who may be willing to give some of their time to help you out and edit your pictures.
The GIMP is a great free program that i use to edit my pictures, and it it possible to make a white background with it the same way as Hob Took described.
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

Some good information here. Thanks gents! I will have to give it a go. Could one use a white cloth maybe?

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
Sir BrickBuilder

Post by Sir BrickBuilder »

Pretty easy I just put my desk right in front of the window on a sunny day put a picture frame behind it with a white cloth over that then have the picture frame and white cloth lean back on a easel! YA IT TAKES FOREVER
leaf_of_lire
Reeve

Post by leaf_of_lire »

Thanks.
I don't have Photoshop so I will just use a sheet of white paper/poster board then edit it with another program. Thanks again for the advice :) .
JoshWedin
Chevalier de Chèvre

Post by JoshWedin »

Heir of Black Falcon wrote: Could one use a white cloth maybe?
You can. I've used a white sheet. But it needs to be ironed really well. Any little crease will show up.

Josh
AFOL and his money are easily parted.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/ak_brickster/8 ... hotostream][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8252/85336074 ... 2a10_t.jpg[/img][/url] [url=http://www.Brothers-Brick.com]The Brothers Brick[/url]
The Shadow Knight
Archer

Post by The Shadow Knight »

Hey, this might be a little off topic, I am sorry but some mentioned this GIMP program, and I have trouble with getting a good white background as well, so I am thinking about downloading it. I just got a new computer recently and I don't want this program to slow it down, though. So I just wanted to know if you guys think it would be a good decision for me to download GIMP under my circumstances.

Thanks
-May your winds be fair !
SlyOwl
Apprentice

Post by SlyOwl »

Regarding white cloths, as they are more textured than posterboard/white paper (i.e. when you take a photo of it, there are far more grey and black pixels in amongst the white ones, despite the overall white look), they can be difficult to edit, as some tools (like fill) won't work as effectively. As mentioned, creases really are a problem. It's hard to avoid stuff like this, whereas against a posterboard background, proper edits (like this) can be done with a single fill.
The Shadow Knight wrote:Hey, this might be a little off topic, I am sorry but some mentioned this GIMP program, and I have trouble with getting a good white background as well, so I am thinking about downloading it. I just got a new computer recently and I don't want this program to slow it down, though. So I just wanted to know if you guys think it would be a good decision for me to download GIMP under my circumstances.
From my experience, GIMP (and Paint.net, another free editing program) take up minimal space on your computer, and don't take too long to download. It's worth it in the long run - you'll build up editing skills in return for the time and computer memory invested.
The Shadow Knight
Archer

Post by The Shadow Knight »

Thanks for the help SlyOwl. I really appreciate it. I think I'll give it a try.
-May your winds be fair !
ottoatm
Knight Templar
Knight Templar

Post by ottoatm »

I'd also recommend poster board - get two big sheets of it and you can have one in the back and one to place your MOC/Vig on.

If you do use GIMP or Photoshop, you might want to consider having some more fun with the background - put a picture of a mountain and/or trees behind your creation - that always makes for a pretty creation. :)
Knight Templar
n. pl. Knights Templars or Knights Templar
1.A member of an order of knights founded about 1118 to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land during the Second Crusade.

[url=http://legelot.50webs.com/mainPages/myStory.html]My Lego Stories: The Land of Legelot![/url]
[url=http://z13.invisionfree.com/Castle_World]CW-THE Lego Story Writer's Guild[/url]
fenris
Villein

Post by fenris »

what i prefer for a clean-white background is my bathtube...

..of course you need a clean bathtube :lol: