Dwarf Battle Pack

Discussion of official LEGO Castle Theme sets and products
Garbageman13
Reeve

Re: Dwarf Battle Pack

Post by Garbageman13 »

Aculon wrote:15/5=3....basically, $3 a fig....ouch. Doesn't that strike anyone else as ridiculus?
Just think too...that's the same price ($15) as a large PAB...
I remember you were always reminding me about that when I was considering buying the Crownie battlepack. That was annoying, but it payed off since I never ended up buying one. :lol:

God Bless.

-Garbageman13
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/28530273@N07/]~Ye Olde Flickr~[/url]
Merlin of Lego
Apprentice

Post by Merlin of Lego »

15/5=3....basically, $3 a fig....ouch. Doesn't that strike anyone else as ridiculus?
Not when a dwarf without a winged helm is $5.00 average or $3.60 at its lowest for sales history and $4.50 current price.
puddleglum
Artisan

Post by puddleglum »

^ Not to mention the weapons, sheilds, and other accessories. Copper axe blades, dwarf shields, and gold and silver rocks are not cheap parts . . . taking a quick look at prices, I'm guessing it would cost at least $25 to aquire all the figs and accessories in this set via BrickLink, not to mention shipping costs. Sure, it would be nice if the battlpack was cheaper, but either way building an army of dwarves just got substantially cheaper than it used to be!
"Nothing wrong with me. Not a frog. Nothing frog with me. I'm a respectabiggle . . . Reshpeckobiggle."

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthew_raehl/]flickr[/url]
Blue Moon Knight
Archer

Post by Blue Moon Knight »

puddleglum wrote: Sure, it would be nice if the battlpack was cheaper, but either way building an army of dwarves just got substantially cheaper than it used to be!
Which is good news for me because now I can get more dwarf for my dollar! :D
To those who are about to Lego: toss me a few bricks.
Crazylegoman
Bailiff

Post by Crazylegoman »

Aculon wrote:15/5=3....basically, $3 a fig....ouch. Doesn't that strike anyone else as ridiculous?
Just think too...that's the same price ($15) as a large PAB...
Heck no! Minifigs are one of the most expensive things in a set. (They have printing, they have to be assembled, etc.) The battle packs are basically just minifigs, so that's why it has a higher price-per-piece ratio. These MF's looked like they're decked out too. They all have weapons, and there are a few other accessories with them. Someone pointed out earlier that buying them on Bricklink would be more expensive than buying them in the battle pack. This is very true, and adding the accessories would up the BL price even more.

Ridiculous? only if you don't buy it. :wink:

David
♪ "Whether I'm the last one alive, or ascend before my time
Better I'm the last one alive, than a soul denied" ♫ —Demon Hunter
Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

Post by Heir of Black Falcon »

Guess I could be ridiculous but I guess that is relative.

Hmmm... I still think $15 is too high but I guess I must be an odd one out here. Just because BL has something priced does not mean anything to how Lego prices things. BL’s minifig prices to me are often artificially inflated. It is more akin to something like collectable sales than anything where rarity determines prices.... this is not TLC’s issue as they can make any piece common. If you can sell half the figs from a set and make more money that the original set something is synthetically inflated in the value system opposed to Lego costs. People paid a small fortune for the breastplates on BL even when Lego sold them at 15 cents each.... not sure using BL proves much for Lego and their prices ultimately.

Now as far as Lego and their pricing of this. I do indeed think it is a bit high. Once again I think using BL prices is silly. Lego would not use them as it means nothing to them. They are spending maybe a cent or two to make each piece in materials and perhaps two-three times it for making them. A bit more for paint etc. and the costs of a set like this are likely a few dollars. Maybe putting them together adds a great deal to costs but I am more than able to do that on my own... especially if it saves a dollar or more. I think they could easily drop the price and still be making a above average sales profit.

That said if BL is the only place available with these minifigs and one really wanted them without buying the set I guess that is there choice to decide its value but it is in no way is shape an indicator of Lego and their price/cost system.

Luckily Lego does not work most sets as true collectables or I'd be out of it by simple costs.

Heir
There ain't nothin' girlie about a tunic...
architect
Baron von Ellermann

Post by architect »

There is a labor factor to have each figure assembled and placed into the blister pack. If the fig piece were bagged and/or boxed, the Battle Pack sets likely would cost less. Of course they wouldn't look as cool as the LEGO Brand Stores.

Edit: If it has not been mentioned, the packs are now available on US Shop at Home:

http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.as ... n=473&d=70
http://shop.lego.com/Product/?p=852702

Ben
puddleglum
Artisan

Post by puddleglum »

Heir of Black Falcon wrote: Hmmm... I still think $15 is too high but I guess I must be an odd one out here. Just because BL has something priced does not mean anything to how Lego prices things.
This is 100% true.
Heir of Black Falcon wrote: I think they could easily drop the price and still be making a above average sales profit.
This is speculation.

The point I was trying to make in comparing to BrickLink prices is this: LEGO was/is under no obligation to make Dwarf battle packs. Until now the cheapest way to aquire multiple dwarves was via BrickLink, at a cost of over $4 a fig, not including any weapons, shields, etc. Now we have a cheaper way, compliments of LEGO. This is good news for anyone looking to aquire more dwarves. It's not the best possible news (I agree that $12.99 was a much more reasonable price point for the castle battle packs), but it's good news nonetheless. Sure, a Star Wars-style battle pack with 4 minifigs and some bricks for $10 would be a better value, but those are in a completely different leauge in terms of sales volume.
"Nothing wrong with me. Not a frog. Nothing frog with me. I'm a respectabiggle . . . Reshpeckobiggle."

Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

This is speculation.
Since so many of this post and others is speculation that’s hard to avoid. If we did not have speculation 99% of this website would be gone. I wish I had access to TLC financial reports because we could find out much more. It is more like an educated speculation though.

In the end I have a hard time with the volume comment regarding star wars. It’s also a licensed series meaning they tend to be more expensive. The $10 for more in a Star Wars Battlepack to the $15 for a castle one seems 'off' to me regardless. The Star Wars BP proves Lego can do it for less than $15. I avoided bringing that up again though as I am not familiar with everything regarding Star Wars.

Heir
puddleglum
Artisan

Post by puddleglum »

architect wrote: Edit: If it has not been mentioned, the packs are now available on US Shop at Home:

http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.as ... n=473&d=70
http://shop.lego.com/Product/?p=852702

Ben
Awesome! Hopefully they will be showing up in LEGO stores soon as well. :D
Heir of Black Falcon wrote:If we did not have speculation 99% of this website would be gone.
hehe!
Heir of Black Falcon wrote:The $10 for more in a Star Wars Battlepack to the $15 for a castle one seems 'off' to me regardless.
I still agree. But the situation is still substantially better now than it was a month ago when these weren't for sale. And for that I'm glad!

Heir of Black Falcon
Justiciar

I agree. I will likely buy both as soon as they arrive here in the UK. I was sad when they were not at Legoland last week.

To be honest the variety in the dwarf BP makes it a nice collection in and of itself. I really like how they put so many different beards, helmets and items in it.

Heir
Merlin of Lego
Apprentice

Post by Merlin of Lego »

I think that the variety what make this battle pack great.

If you were to compare the Star Wars battle pack to castle you would need to compare it to the Dwarves Mine Defender. Both about the same price, both have small vehicle and good fig count. The problem is that for castle, unlike Star Wars is that the dwarf gets very repetitive and it comes with the lesser of the two styles of helms the dwarf line has.

The new Dwarf battle pack is better value to me than the troll one because I can get trolls easier than the dwarves.

For the Dwarves I can spend 10 and get 1 dwarf, I can spend 60 and get 4 dwarves, or I can spend 70 and get 1. Really no mid priced stuff like there is for the trolls, the crownies, or the skeletons.

The trolls by comparison have $3.5 get 1, $10 get 2, $20 get 1+ large one, Tower Raid, $30 and get 3 trolls, $40 get 3, $60 get 2+ large, $70 get 6+1 large, and $100 get 4+ 2 large.

Granted most of these come with figs from other factions but the dwarves are by far the hardest to get if you want more than 10.

The Dwarf Battle pack is a great value to me because it beats every other way that I can get them now. Even if there was an impulse set with a dwarf you would give up variety for parts. And with the dwarves I need variety at this time.

sorry if this rambles..... :raiseone:
the Inventor
Laborer

Post by the Inventor »

I certainly will buy one or two dwarves battle pack, but I don't like that the gold winged helmet is in this battle pack, I would rather have an regular silver or copper helmet. The trolls, the crownies, or the skeletons battle packs don't include a leader/king mini figure so why does the dwarves battle pack have to include a king.

the Inventor
Visit my Flickr, Brickshelf or youtube.
puddleglum
Artisan

Post by puddleglum »

^Who said it was a king?

Kevin1990
Grounded

Post by Kevin1990 »

you know I just klink the link to go and buy the battle pack on lego.com
then I got the most sadest thing in the whole world!
its just nasty they do that:

"Sorry, item is not available in this country: Netherlands"
[url=http://www.brickmania.com/community/]Top Poster on Brickmania[/url]
[url=http://www.bricklink.com/feedback.asp?u=Kevin1990]Proud Briclinker[/url]

[url=http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=Kevin1990]Brickshelf[/url]